Negotiating Wayford Bridge

Broads01

I'm reasonably familiar with cruising the Ant above Wayford and what a lovely stretch it is. Somehow though, I often find myself either chickening out of passing under the bridge or if I do pass under, I worry about whether clearance will be OK when I get back.

Is the height gauge at Womack accurate (or is it another Ludham!)? 

How much is the tidal rise and fall (if anything, that far up river)? 

Did I read somewhere that clearance one side of the bridge is different to the other? 

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Did I read somewhere that clearance one side of the bridge is different to the other?

It is Simon, the upstream side is higher due to the camber of the road. However that side of the bridge has a board mounted underneath it to compensate for the difference. So in effect you have the same clearance either side. I don't think there is much rise and fall of the tide up there. I've always been happy to go through without worry. It is a fairly low bridge though, I think the average is a bit over 7 feet but would stand to be corrected. I agree, its a lovely stretch. We went up there in May with Tower Bridge and had no problems.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

It's a classic example of where folks need to moor with consideration, not leave big gaps! 

( been there etc) :default_biggrin:

Yesterday at Ranworth at the otherside of the cut where 4 boats can moor 2 hire boats were alongside each other from the corner of the cut and a private Ocean 30 was in the middle of the other half

• Sad 1