• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
Broads01

Negotiating Wayford Bridge

I'm reasonably familiar with cruising the Ant above Wayford and what a lovely stretch it is. Somehow though, I often find myself either chickening out of passing under the bridge or if I do pass under, I worry about whether clearance will be OK when I get back.

Is the height gauge at Womack accurate (or is it another Ludham!)? 

How much is the tidal rise and fall (if anything, that far up river)? 

Did I read somewhere that clearance one side of the bridge is different to the other? 

Not sure about the accuracy of the height gauge.  I think I read somewhere that the rise and fall is negligible. Although there was once more clearance on the upriver side there is now a board suspended from that end which evens things up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Did I read somewhere that clearance one side of the bridge is different to the other?

It is Simon, the upstream side is higher due to the camber of the road. However that side of the bridge has a board mounted underneath it to compensate for the difference. So in effect you have the same clearance either side. I don't think there is much rise and fall of the tide up there. I've always been happy to go through without worry. It is a fairly low bridge though, I think the average is a bit over 7 feet but would stand to be corrected. I agree, its a lovely stretch. We went up there in May with Tower Bridge and had no problems.

• Like 1

Noooo! It’s awful up there, there is a black hole that boats disappear into and are never seen again. 🤥 Best not chance it. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

Noooo! It’s awful up there, there is a black hole that boats disappear into and are never seen again. 🤥 Best not chance it. 😁

Bit like Langley Dyke and Upton Dyke, then?😉

• Like 1

But when you get up there, be prepared as there are 2 electricity posts = 6 points, moorings for only 3 boats,maybe 4 if small.???:default_blink:

But when you get up there, be prepared as there are 2 electricity posts = 6 points, moorings for only 3 boats,maybe 4 if small.???:default_blink:

Is there a good depth there

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

3 minutes ago, wombat nee blownup said:

Is there a good depth there

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Yes were fishing at a depth of about 3 feet.. :default_fishing2:

It's a classic example of where folks need to moor with consideration, not leave big gaps! 

( been there etc) :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

It's a classic example of where folks need to moor with consideration, not leave big gaps! 

( been there etc) :default_biggrin:

Yesterday at Ranworth at the otherside of the cut where 4 boats can moor 2 hire boats were alongside each other from the corner of the cut and a private Ocean 30 was in the middle of the other half

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

All of them best avoided. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Even worse than that, the place positively smells, suffers from extreme noise pollution, and boats have a habbit of breaking loose and sinking.  Best to avoid at all costs.

32 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Even worse than that, the place positively smells, suffers from extreme noise pollution, and boats have a habbit of breaking loose and sinking.  Best to avoid at all costs.

And at certain times of the year you could be struck by lightning

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

And at certain times of the year you could be struck by lightning

Most definitely young sir, very likely a storm brewing early next week in the vicinity?.

13 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Most definitely young sir, very likely a storm brewing early next week in the vicinity?.

Don't forget to look out for us Ibiza1 blue and white with 2 NBN penants and East Riding of Yorkshire flag flying

36 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

Don't forget to look out for us Ibiza1 blue and white with 2 NBN penants and East Riding of Yorkshire flag flying

Yeah, she`s an Aquafibre 38, mid 70s vintage. Glad to see Richo`s are keeping a lot of the old boats going.

7 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Don't listen to them, it's lovely up there!

It's the south that is dangerous.....

Too true! Beware rampaging snowbirds!!