Boating In November

Broads01

Next month I'll be hiring Song of Freedom for 5 nights on the south Broads and it'll be my first experience of November hiring. I was originally due to hire at the end of October but I've postponed for family reasons. Daylight hours will be short and I'm looking forward to sampling pub food and drink in the evenings. I'm wondering if there are any issues with the time of year I need to be aware of. Where might be closed? Are water hoses still available? Are high water levels more likely? 

Excellent time to be out Simon. No major issues, water levels can be high any time of the year, we've had some recently. You can get extreme low tide too - we had this last December. All the pubs are open pretty much as usual, odd one like Reedham Ferry may have reduced hours but mostly as normal.

Water is a bit more restricted down South - Reedham (take your own length of hose), OBYS on the pontoon, Goodchilds, Brooms, possibly Loddon.....

If you're going solo you didn't need to shower as much.........:default_norty:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

We`ve used Lightning 3 times in November. Ferry Inn at Surlingham always open, as i believe is the New Inn at Rockland. The White Horse at Chedgrave is always open, as is all of Loddon, especially Rosie Lee`s. The hoses are always on at Loddon, and WRC, but WRC is now very pricey. I believe the hoses at Reedham are taken away and the water turned off, but i don`t know about Beccles and Oulton Broad YSs.

November is a great time of year, providing the weather is nice. We had icy winds from the north the second time, and it was bloody cold, buyt the year before, we had a mixture, with some beautiful blue skies, as well as a bit of rain. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure about Beccles but OBYS definitely have water on the pontoon. WRC should have water but last couple of times we've been its been disconnected. The water at Reedham is always on but you need a length of hose. Or a bucket (been there, got the T shirt)

I've an idea water is available at Surlingham Ferry but can't be sure. Boatyards may be able to help out if you get stuck and Freedom too presumably.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

. . . . . . . . . . I've an idea water is available at Surlingham Ferry but can't be sure. Boatyards may be able to help out if you get stuck and Freedom too presumably.

It most certainly is - brings another meaning to the expression getting fed and watered if you avail yourself of their excellent food.

They also have electric hook-ups, but they sell the necessary cards over the bar, as the usual BA ones don’t work.

Btw, Simon, when will you be up.  We’re out on Norfolk Lady during November for a week.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

Water and electric available at Beccles yacht station right through the winter. The office is only open till 13.00 daily from November to March though they have now coded the loos so you can use them 24/7

Coded the loos ,  while on one hand a good idea but what happens if I as a local person needs to 'go'.??

2 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Dont think theres water at The Ferry House. There is Electric however. 

There is definitely water there.  I filled up a couple of times when we were there in February.   The hose is on a red reel at the back of the beer garden by the stern on moorings.  No charge for customers, either.

• Like 2

There definately IS water at the ferryhouse, there is a red fire hose at the car park extension end (it's not right beside the river but the hose is long), and another green hose by the river at the pub end beside Lazy Breeze and plenty of electric posts, the leccy cards normally go up to a fiver in winter but will last you a weekend easily if you get comfy and decide to stay (which they do allow as long as you are using the pub).

Take your own hose for reedham.

• Like 3

No problems at all with the time of year Simon, it's a wonderful time to be on the rivers, water levels are dependent on weather and other factors as always.

Where might be closed? Are water hoses still available? Are high water levels more likely? 

Other than Norwich Yacht Station which is (officially at least :default_wink:) closed from 1st November there is nowhere closed as such that springs to mind.

Reedham will be without the Ranger and Beccles and Oulton Broad Yacht Stations, whilst open, will only be manned between around 0800-1300 through the winter.

Water is available at The Surlingham Ferry, Loddon, Reedham, WRC, Oulton and Beccles plus any boatyards that are open as you pass by who will be pleased to help I'm sure.

Electric is available at Whitlingham, The Ferry at Surlingham, Coldham Hall, Rockland, St Olaves, Somerleyton, WRC, Oulton, Beccles.

Oh and Reedham Ferry's winter opening times are

Monday & Tuesday - CLOSED

Wednesday - Saturday 1030-1500 & 1800-2200

(Food 1200-1430 & 1800-2030)

Sunday 1100-1800

(Food 1200-1600)

Have a great time :default_smile:

13 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Water and electric available at Beccles yacht station right through the winter. The office is only open till 13.00 daily from November to March though they have now coded the loos so you can use them 24/7

Have they refurb`d them, last time we went in them the showers were an absolute disgrace. The worst bit is, they still charged the same money despite the fact they`re in such an awful filthy state. 

12 hours ago, Hylander said:

Coded the loos ,  while on one hand a good idea but what happens if I as a local person needs to 'go'.??

I would imagine they are paid for by local council tax payers, who won`t be able to use them. Not exactly fair i think?.

I've no axe to grind either way but I suspect (bit like OBYS) they are part of the yacht station facilities rather than public loos per se.

There are public loos in Beccles but they are fairly well hidden :default_norty:

Personally, if I get caught short, I would pop into the Caxton Club :default_beerchug: (with a beer of course) :default_biggrin:

18 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

‘Fraid not...tides have ruled that out. Never mind, it’ll be great to be back on the Broads. 

Aw, shame, however water can be got down South, I think most places have been suggested. If you can beg/make/nick a short length of hose, Reedham is very handy. Boats usually carry more water than you think, if you're careful it can last several days. The standard boatyard advice about topping up every day does err on the cautious side. Having said that if you do see water in winter it's always worth topping up. In 13 years we've never run out or had a problem (touch wood). Did use the bucket method the once at Reedham, hence the hose!!! Had to recover in the pub afterwards :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice all, very helpful. I've stopped at the Ferry House a few times but never noticed the water hose there. I'm aboard Saturday 9th to Thursday 14th. Helen, our paths are sure to cross somewhere to say hello and Malcom, likewise if our dates overlap. 

• Like 3

On our first jaunt on Moonlight Shadow we found a couple of hoses on board, so other syndicate members have been very thoughtful in that respect.

We had our AGM just over a week ago, and it was lovely to meet other syndicate members. Great bunch of people and all dedicated to keeping Moonlight Shadow well cared for. I was very encouraged.

Not long now until our November week!

:default_biggrin:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . . I'm aboard Saturday 9th to Thursday 14th. Helen, our paths are sure to cross somewhere to say hello and Malcom, likewise if our dates overlap. 

Unfortunately, we’re up the following week, so no chance of our paths crossing this time, Simon.  
We had our first experience of some November days on The Broads last year as new members of the Moonlight Shadow syndicate and enjoyed it immensely.  The weather was good for the time of the year, but this year has proved once again how fickle the British weather can be, beautiful days in February, high winds in August (which prevented many hire craft from leaving their yards on a Saturday) and a very wet October.  
Enjoy the peace and relax.

• Like 3