Boating In November

Broads01

Hope you're enjoying the Ferry Simon, I also agree, superb pub, one of our must visits.

Love the photos, you certainly have had some sun today!!

Those posts are for private moorings as Alan says. I'm not quite sure why they are there, not to prevent mooring  I don't think. I wonder if its to assist boats that moor bow first, maybe with outboards?? I've often wondered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK so private moorings and lots of posts but no boats. It's not an issue this time of year but come next summer it could be a tight squeeze if the only 24 hour moorings are those on the town side. For as long as I can remember until the last time I visited in April 2018, moorings were available both sides. 

I received a call from Nicky at Freedom this afternoon. Because the boat isn't going back out tomorrow (well I'm the only one hiring it in November I suspect) I can return the boat any time until 3-30pm tomorrow. I've not prompted them at all and I was fully expecting to be back by 9am. That's fantastic service in my view and not something I'd get elsewhere. 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

OK so private moorings and lots of posts but no boats. It's not an issue this time of year but come next summer it could be a tight squeeze if the only 24 hour moorings are those on the town side. For as long as I can remember until the last time I visited in April 2018, moorings were available both sides. 

I took Boycee to mean that it would extend the public moorings Simon, but I could be wrong, I usually am!!!!

Oh, and top marks to Freedom!

38 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I received a call from Nicky at Freedom this afternoon. Because the boat isn't going back out tomorrow (well I'm the only one hiring it in November I suspect) I can return the boat any time until 3-30pm tomorrow. I've not prompted them at all and I was fully expecting to be back by 9am. That's fantastic service in my view and not something I'd get elsewhere. 

They did the same for us when we hired Absolute Freedom in September.  They really put themselves out.  Great yard.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, boycee said:

You are totally correct Howard. The previous encumbents of the post berth moorings were asked to find alternatve moorings around 2 years ago so they could be used to expand capacity within the Yacht Station. Maybe next year?

:default_eusa_dance:

Boycee

I remember back in the 80s, the whole of the basin WAS open house, with only the dyke at the end for small boats. It was in the 90s (i think?) when they started putting a few private moorings in, and even then, they were`nt with posts, and not many at that. It would be great if they had water and electric on the North bank, with the green behind you.

• Like 2

Have a check on the tarp over snowbird as you pass postwick viaduct for me, hopefully I will get some windows back in this weekend.

Freedom are probably one of the better yards for helping out where they can, very nice couple and one of the few proper family yards left, and they'll hire around your times if the boat is available instead of "change over day".

• Like 5

I remember the posts going in at Beccles YS. They were pretty new when we had an NBN meet at the yacht station (the one on the playground side, not the later ones on the town side) which I think would have been ten years ago.

I believe they were to demarcate the private mooring bays and to give somewhere to tie a front rope to, though an element of them were public moorings at that time. 

• Thanks 1

The weather is horrible today - persistent heavy rain and very cold. I chugged up to Norwich and was intending to stay there a bit but didn't fancy the idea of having to lower the roof and screens to get back under the railway bridge. We passed back under, roof up and a few inches to spare (tide is rising). Currently at Whittingham where I'm going to have some food and then return the boat. Long drive home ahead so I'll update this evening (including my thoughts on November boating, Howard). 

• Like 7

I used 57 litres of fuel which I didn't think was too bad given it's an old BMC engine and I'd covered a few miles, not always with the tide. The journey home was a bit rubbish and I was on the road for 6 hours but I'm home in the warm now. 

So, would I hire in November again? I would say probably not. I was lucky and unlucky with the weather - lucky in that I had a reasonable share of sunshine but unlucky in that temperatures were very low and made it feel more like January some of the time. I really enjoyed the cruising, the relaxing and the pubs so in general all the daytime bit. At night was where I found it a bit tough going - although I was generally warm in bed with two duvets and a sleeping bag in between, getting up during the night and first thing in the morning wasn't so much fun. Although there was no electric hook up on this boat I can appreciate the advantage at this time of year. 

Freedom were great once again, especially with the unexpected "extra time" bonus. I've booked Song again for next April, this time for a full week. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . . .So, would I hire in November again? I would say probably not. I was lucky and unlucky with the weather - lucky in that I had a reasonable share of sunshine but unlucky in that temperatures were very low and made it feel more like January some of the time. . . . . . . .

Sorry to hear that you weren't too impressed with your November holiday, but pleased that you got home safely.  Although our experience on Moonlight Shadow last November was essentially a short break, we enjoyed it.  There was still a foliage on the trees, giving some autumn colour, the rivers were quiet and moorings plentiful.

To be fair, though, the weather has been very mixed all year.  Aside from a couple of weeks in July and the week following August Bank Holiday, I can't remember any extended periods of good weather at all.  Even  September, which is usually quite a good month, was a little more changeable than usual.

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

. . . . . .Freedom were great once again, especially with the unexpected "extra time" bonus. I've booked Song again for next April, this time for a full week. 

When will you be up in April?  We are due to be on Moonlight Shadow for the week commencing Saturday 4th, with our son and his family again.

• Like 3

Interesting to read your thoughts Simon. I think it has felt colder sooner this autumn. Even in October we didn’t have the kind of weather we’ve had other years. But I think the darker evenings are a disadvantage too. Once you put the lights on and pull the curtains or cover the windows it’s a long evening. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

it’s a long evening.

Time to visit the pub Jean! :default_beerchug:

Good to hear your thoughts Simon. The fuel used was good. Quiet rivers are a big bonus and it least you got some sun. 

Sorry you found it a bit cold though. It's probably similar to what we would expect in December. It's usually colder in February! We've never plugged in and never been cold. We do spend some time in the pub but also go  for 'flat' Alphacrafts which always seem warmer. As I've mentioned before I tend to get up in the morning, whack the kettle and heating on and go back to bed for 10 minutes. Very interesting to get others take on it though, many thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Broads01 said:

So, would I hire in November again? I would say probably not.

That's a shame, but at least you got to give it a go and find out whether it was for you or not.

Roll on December for myself :default_smile:

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

Once you put the lights on and pull the curtains or cover the windows it’s a long evening. 

All the more reason to visit the pub Jean :default_beerchug:

32 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Time to visit the pub Jean! :default_beerchug:

31 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

All the more reason to visit the pub Jean :default_beerchug:

We really only go to the pubs for a meal mostly at lunchtime and never just for a drink! Each to their own. :default_winko:
But we also rarely use electric hookup when we’re out in March or October. We don’t like restricting ourselves as to moorings. With a good 3 to 4 hours cruising each day we run the heating on board for an hour or so in the morning and evening and find that mostly that’s ok. :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SwanR said:

With a good 3 to 4 hours cruising each day we run the heating on board for an hour or so in the morning and evening and find that mostly that’s ok

I agree. A good boat with good heating usually does the trick. Swancraft really did set the standard. 

11 minutes ago, SwanR said:

never just for a drink! Each to their own. 

That's very true, there is the sociabilty aspect too. Mrs Nog always has dog treats in her bag and everyone has more time to chat to you in winter which they couldn't do in summer. Plus it supports pubs which might close otherwise. That's my excuse anyway :default_biggrin:

• Like 5