The Things I Don't Miss

ZimbiIV

the gas heater above the bath, that was condemned as soon as the first gas man came to fix it.

ice on the windows in winter - inside.

the paraffin stove that caught fire when it got knocked over heating the kitchen in winter

helping with the washing up

getting the washing in off the line where it had frozen solid.

getting bronchitis every winter and missing a month of school recovering

• Like 3

All the extras when you hired a boat.

1993 New Horizon: Parking £5, Under cover parking £12, Lead for mobile phone £2.50, Hairdryer £2.50, Iron £2.50, Highchairs £5, Travel Cots £5.

If you went from their Thames yards even more expensive: outdoor parking £8, TV Black & White £8, Colour £16.

Can't work out why it would be more expensive to not be able to get a picture in colour as against black and white.

• Haha 1

The winter of discontent 1976/77

3 day weeks, no power for 12 hours a day. If your power was off in the evenings and getting home from work in getting something cooked if you had no gas in the house.

ph.jpg.ee92f9a2f6236142f86a139731bdc2ff.jpg

We were lucky to have one like this but with a square metal cover on the front, big enough to get a saucepan and a kettle on. We lived on all type of one pot stews for weeks. Went on first thing in the morning. ready for evening meal.

Mind you I was never on a 3 day week, as the company I worked for started to make Farm PTO generators, about a year before the strikes. They designed a home generator too about two months before the strikes started. I ended up working 14 hour days 6 days a week and Sunday mornings to keep up with the demand.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

Yeah I wasn't a fan of school, I hated the shafting I got

Oh Lyndersy...I just do not know where to start with all that could be said about this 

tenor.gif.0b11717c4b67130d2c7b5a093e5b5d5e.gif

56 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

The winter of discontent 1976/77

3 day weeks, no power for 12 hours a day. If your power was off in the evenings and getting home from work in getting something cooked if you had no gas in the house.

ph.jpg.ee92f9a2f6236142f86a139731bdc2ff.jpg

We were lucky to have one like this but with a square metal cover on the front, big enough to get a saucepan and a kettle on. We lived on all type of one pot stews for weeks. Went on first thing in the morning. ready for evening meal.

Mind you I was never on a 3 day week, as the company I worked for started to make Farm PTO generators, about a year before the strikes. They designed a home generator too about two months before the strikes started. I ended up working 14 hour days 6 days a week and Sunday mornings to keep up with the demand.

I know it was a long time ago but The Winter of Discontent was 1978/79. The 3 day week was from Jan 74 to March. I remember because Jan 1st 74 was the first time  New Years Day was a holiday but I had to work to install? Yup a genny to light our packing line.

• Like 2

Homework, mowing the grass with a push mower, cleaning the grate, cod liver oil, sharing toys, short back and sides, going to bed at 7:15, stuffed hearts, baths, Vietnam war on the TV news, visiting aunts and uncles.....

Probably many many more lol

• Like 2

Hot-aches, pink custard, cross country running, sing something simple, black and white minstrels, camp coffee, cod liver oil, nits, tapioca, chilblains, on the buses, semolina, early mornings, tetanus jabs, P.E., sisters recorder practice, mashed potato, sundays, sister talking half way through recording top of the pops, flares, broken limbs, school football, smog, school cricket, gonks, pink blancmange, school rugby, austin maxis, sherbert, not knowing what happened to Lord Lucan, scooters, mother enforced crew cut, plastic sandles, nylon sheets, the Simkin brothers(its a school thing), national health glasses, skinheads, aztec bars.

Cant think of anything else of the top of my head!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lulu said:

School, absolutely hated it.

Me too. 

Things i don`t miss, and there`s not a lot,  Asthma, being bullied, getting smacked because i was the youngest and always got the blame, having to put up with hand me downs from my brothers.

There are probably more, but i can`t bring them to mind.

• Like 1

Same here with candle lit homework, mum put the candle on a shelf directly under another wooden shelf, the dog barked and barked until we found the shelf above smoking and about to burst into flames.

Good dog, daft mum.... still had to finish homework!

• Haha 3

More on Victoryv’s post. Isn’t pink custard and pink blancmange the same thing?  How can I tell you disliked that so much? LOL.

Personally, I quite liked chocolate sponge served with pink custard for school meals.

The weirdest school meal I recollect is ravioli served with mash potatoes and marrowfat peas. Who on earth dreamed that one up? It was served up quite frequently too. Edible...but weird.

• Like 1