Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

Lets us be realistic here. How on God's Earth could Lathams keep customers 2 metres apart? Also it is a pick up and rummage type of place, how do you keep it even half sanitized when people probably touch 10 items for every one they buy.

• Like 4

I take your point about Lathams, however QD stores have closed all their stores across the country not just Lathams. Perhaps the better more altruistic approach might have been to close all the non food aisles and stay open selling food with perhaps a reduced staff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Lets us be realistic here. How on God's Earth could Lathams keep customers 2 metres apart? Also it is a pick up and rummage type of place, how do you keep it even half sanitized when people probably touch 10 items for every one they buy.

In the same way as Morrisons and Sainsburys are. They are limiting the number of customers through the door at any one time. As you go in a member of staff lays out paper towelling on the table and sprays it with disinfectant and you pick it up and wipe the trolley handle and place in bin and then enter the store. They also could close all non food aisles.

• Like 1

Personally, I feel that one day, when we eventually beat this curse, we will all wake up to a very different World.

I predict the struggling department stores have had it, this will be the straw that breaks it. Pub closures will accelerate, and online sales will receive a boost from folk who up till now have not done so, adding to the demise of the high street.

The cashless society will get ever closer. And the days of cheap flights?

What I find sad is alot of small businesses, from the independent guy who repairs your shoes, small garages that will service your mower and repair the tyre on your wheelbarrow as well as look after the car, the little Green Grocer and Fish Shop many of their number most likely will not be there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Personally, I feel that one day, when we eventually beat this curse, we will all wake up to a very different World.

So true. 

As far as QD/Lathams is concerned, hats off to them, in my opinion. Being realistic, whilst they sell food, I'd suggest that that is only incidental to their predominant sales. As a local I would never regard Lathams as the obvious choice for purchasing provisions. 

I understand that Jeckells in Oulton Broad is to sell a limited range of provisions but I doubt that that decision has anything to do with Corona Virus, more a desire to stay in business and to offer a service. 

• Like 3

The term Food covers not just consumables but things like washing items for personal use, antibac wipes , and toilet rolls are hardly a 'food' item.       I think it would mean that the clothing departments would be closed off for folk to do their weekly shop. 

well the man came round in his mobile windscreen van, and after some elaborate precautions he has now changed over my cracked windscreen, which he agreed wasnt entirely safe with the crack it had, so essential work. at least now I will be able to MOT the car once I can get to the garage.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Perhaps the better more altruistic approach might have been to close all the non food aisles and stay open selling food with perhaps a reduced staff.

I think it would have been impossible to keep Latham’s few food aisles open. If you think where they are in relation to the tills,  there’s no way they could rope them off easily. This will help the convenience store in the village and locals will be grateful to have that open I’m sure. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I think it would have been impossible to keep Latham’s few food aisles open. If you think where they are in relation to the tills,  there’s no way they could rope them off easily. This will help the convenience store in the village and locals will be grateful to have that open I’m sure. 

Good thinking Batman.    You are so right.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vanessan said:

On the contrary I think it would have been easy. Clear one or two aisles between the food area and the till area and then place barriers to block all the other aisles off. You go into the store straight to the food area and then down one of the empty aisles to the till. Don't forget this is not just Lathams, but all QD stores that have closed. The mainstream supermarkets are having to cope with increased demand due to stock piling, a natural increase due to other outlets serving occasional food being closed, pubs, restaurants etc, all while limiting the number of people in the store at any one time to implement social distancing. The government classified QD stores as an essential group allowed to stay open, in fact encouraged to stay open. They didn't do that so that people could go and buy their usual tat, but because they also sell a reasonable amount of food and cleaning supplies.

• Like 2

Thinking ahead, once we are past this awful time, I wonder how things will get back to some semblance of normality. I suppose it’s likely that restrictions will be lifted piecemeal. Maybe that will mean allowing us out more than once a day but still with social distancing. I can’t see pubs  and restaurants etc opening for still quite a while but how about some retail shops? Thinking forward like this makes me wonder how long it could be before boatyards and marinas are fully operational again. It could be a long haul but I hope there will be a way. 

2 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

On the contrary I think it would have been easy. Clear one or two aisles between the food area and the till area and then place barriers to block all the other aisles off. You go into the store straight to the food area and then down one of the empty aisles to the till. Don't forget this is not just Lathams, but all QD stores that have closed. The mainstream supermarkets are having to cope with increased demand due to stock piling, a natural increase due to other outlets serving occasional food being closed, pubs, restaurants etc, all while limiting the number of people in the store at any one time to implement social distancing. The government classified QD stores as an essential group allowed to stay open, in fact encouraged to stay open. They didn't do that so that people could go and buy their usual tat, but because they also sell a reasonable amount of food and cleaning supplies.

I wonder why they didn’t persevere then. Not profitable enough perhaps? 

• Like 1

Which is why I said in my first post,

I hope when this all washes out that people remember the stores that truly supported their local communities in the proper spirit of the government advice and didn't try and put profit first.

BM Home Bargains are in a very similar market to QD stores / Lathams. In fact there is very little difference in their product lines.

This is their message to customers,

Dear customers,

B&M is open through the current crisis in line with the Government guidelines. We stock thousands of food and grocery lines, pet food, cleaning goods and toiletries as well as hardware essentials such as small kitchen appliances, light bulbs and batteries.

Please observe social distancing as much as possible when shopping with us.

Looking at that list above, it largely describes the products that Lathams sell. Remember hardware has also been listed as essential. With a little effort they could close the garden section out the back. Move all non essential stock into that area and space out the food and all other essential goods on the rest of the shelves.

• Like 1

Indeed when this madness ends,the world will change. Some for the good,some notes so good.Thimk in the beginning there be lots of spending.People will what to go out,pubs,restaurants  Trips to the seaside country side,etc.Think more on line spending.For sure the high street has been changing and will continue to do so.Think bid stores will reduce or share space.I for one look forward to the day I can leave the house. 

• Like 2

As some have spotted, it would be very easy to sort the store so social distancing could be maintained - now people have to drive to Stalham or Yarmouth? Who will be the first to be stopped for "non essential " travel?

I actually think it is encouraging to see the debate being opened by some senior lawyers and especially senior policemen about  the over enthusiastic enforcement of this issue in these emergency powers - some examples of police interpretation of these powers has already seen to be little more than petty. The object of the legislation is to help limit the spread of the virus and I cannot argue with that but how on earth does my getting in a car, and driving up the Norwich bypass spread the virus - I live alone, have hardly been out and probably not within 12' of anyone for over 7 days, so if I stay in the car, and don't get out, where is the risk to others?

Similarly I actually believe the Broads Beat officers were being equally over zealous by suggesting people could not work alone on their boats - if I get in my car, drive 5 miles to the boat to clean it, who on earth am I impacting? No one else comes to my house, in my car or in my boat - I am old but try as I might, I cannot really see the issue!

No doubt, someone will put me right!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Looking at that list above, it largely describes the products that Lathams sell. Remember hardware has also been listed as essential. With a little effort they could close the garden section out the back. Move all non essential stock into that area and space out the food and all other essential goods on the rest of the shelves.

Which again makes me wonder why they haven’t done that. Any ideas?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Which again makes me wonder why they haven’t done that. Any ideas?

I would hazard a guess at profit. If you read their statement,

"Group chief executive, Nick Rubins, said: “We would like to thank our amazing staff who have done an incredible job in providing our communities with the products they needed, when they needed them most.

We have supplied hundreds of thousands of toilet rolls, food galore from pasta to strawberry jam, pet food for our four-legged friends and countless bottles of cleaning products!

“However, it has come to a point where the wellbeing of our colleagues and customers is more important than anything else.

"As the Covid-19 infection rates multiply and the strain on the NHS increases, it is with a heavy heart that we have made the very difficult decision to temporarily close all of our stores, despite our classification as an essential retailer."

They acknowledge supplying essential supplies, and they acknowledge being classified as an essential retailer, yet they are closing to "protect" their colleagues and customers. Yet many other food retailers are taking precautions and serving the public when they are needed most.

3 minutes ago, marshman said:

As some have spotted, it would be very easy to sort the store so social distancing could be maintained - now people have to drive to Stalham or Yarmouth? Who will be the first to be stopped for "non essential " travel?

I actually think it is encouraging to see the debate being opened by some senior lawyers and especially senior policemen about  the over enthusiastic enforcement of this issue in these emergency powers - some examples of police interpretation of these powers has already seen to be little more than petty. The object of the legislation is to help limit the spread of the virus and I cannot argue with that but how on earth does my getting in a car, and driving up the Norwich bypass spread the virus - I live alone, have hardly been out and probably not within 12' of anyone for over 7 days, so if I stay in the car, and don't get out, where is the risk to others?

Similarly I actually believe the Broads Beat officers were being equally over zealous by suggesting people could not work alone on their boats - if I get in my car, drive 5 miles to the boat to clean it, who on earth am I impacting? No one else comes to my house, in my car or in my boat - I am old but try as I might, I cannot really see the issue!

No doubt, someone will put me right!

I can’t put you right as I have no answers! Playing devil’s advocate again, the police have no idea what an individual (or indeed a couple) are actually doing when they are out in the car. Some of the actions of certain police forces across the country have been beyond belief and that surely has to be down to the interpretation of the rules by the forces’ bosses. There is no doubt that some foolhardy and selfish souls have caused this ‘police state’ as some are calling it and put the police in between a rock and a hard place. I hope that, after we have got over the peak of the  problem, some of these rules will be relaxed quickly. After all, why should it matter if we take the dogs out twice a day as long as we keep clear of others? And you go and work on your boat alone.

4 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I would hazard a guess at profit

45 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Not profitable enough perhaps? 

We agree then!

• Like 3

With respect, you have just said it, "Food Retailers" That is not their business. They most likely can't cover their fixed costs just selling food and cleaning products.

Nobody knows their business like them, and they see their survival best placed by closing and you have to accept that.

I rarely shop there but I have only seen tea, coffee, cereal, and bottled sauces and biscuits in North Walsham. Potter has a wider choice admittedly.

• Like 1

The daily briefings are making it clear that the measures will not just go overnight. The scientific and medical officers have both said that there will be a review after three weeks to see if the curve is flattening (amazing that I don't even have to explain what I mean...everybody knows!) If so that will indicate we are on the right track. We will then have to wait for 2 to 3 months to see demand on ICU beds and ventilators drop to such an extent that when restrictions are partially lifted, and probably result in a rise in cases, we have the capacity to treat these new infections in our hospitals. 

So it's most likely that a partial lifting of the restrictions will come first. To what extent that is, would be anyone's guess. It could be repeated like this,  turning on and off a tap, for some time to come. Each time ensuring the hospitals have the capacity to cope. Eventually, either enough people will have had the virus to make it difficult for others to get it, there will be an improvement in the anti-viral treatments to such an extent that people no longer die with it, or the magical vaccine will be produced.

8 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

So it's most likely that a partial lifting of the restrictions will come first. To what extent that is, would be anyone's guess. It could be repeated like this,  turning on and off a tap, for some time to come. Each time ensuring the hospitals have the capacity to cope. Eventually, either enough people will have had the virus to make it difficult for others to get it, there will be an improvement in the anti-viral treatments to such an extent that people no longer die with it, or the magical vaccine will be produced.

I think your right in the approach they will take. Sadly I think the reopening of pubs and restaurants will be at the bottom of the list. The moment it is announced that they are to reopen, it will be like a Christmas period with very crowded bars etc. I think it is more likely that they will ease restrictions on other non essential retailers first where they can open without over crowding to encourage some very limited spread of the virus in line with NHS capacity. Garden centres and home decoration outlets etc so that people can stock up for DIY, projects and hobbies for if they need to enforce stricter controls again. Once we get closer towards herd immunity then is when I think you will find the more crowded public venues start to reopen. 

There's no doubt that things as we knew them pre-corona will not  return to the status quo. But we'll cope. I believe that my generation (born 40s) has seen more changes than any since the Victorians.  The way that technology has advanced is truly breath taking,  and I often find myself thinking stop the world I want to get off! We're coping (after a  fashion!) There'll be things we'll mourn the loss of, well I do that anyway all the time, nothing .new there. There will also be  new things we'll not be very happy about - nothing new there either.  Like most I'm finding the forced isolation difficult  and missing my visits to the family and there's to me but (providing I don't fall victim to this virus ) they'll resume I 've just got to be patient as have we all.

Carole

• Like 4