Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

The National Police Chiefs Council NPCC has now issued new guidance in light of the over zealous policing of the lockdown.
Officers have been told people should not be punished for travelling a “reasonable distance” to exercise - following criticism of heavy-handed tactics used to enforce the Covid-19 lockdown in some areas. 
The new guidance, issued by the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) and the College of Policing, also states road checks on every vehicle are “disproportionate”.
It states: 
Use your judgement and common sense; for example, people will want to exercise locally and may need to travel to do so, we don’t want the public sanctioned for travelling a reasonable distance to exercise.
Road checks on every vehicle is equally disproportionate. We should reserve enforcement only for individuals who have not responded to engage, explain, and encourage, where public health is at risk.
In the light of that I would suggest that travelling a few miles to work on your own boat in isolation is reasonable. Unfortunately I live 100 miles away so shall stay put for now until the restrictions are eased in some way.

Travel a few miles a day!
You’ll still be at the boat before this is all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Haha 1

Salhouse Broad are asking for donations:

It looks like they are doing a competition, i popped a fiver in as no doubt we would have stopped there by now.

Taken from facebook.

As we can't offer camping, canoe hire or moorings at the moment Salhouse Broad is more reliant than ever on your donations to keep the site safe, the bins emptied, the walkways maintained and most importantly open.

If you DONATE £5 in April, we will draw out a name at random on May 1st and that person will receive £100 of vouchers to spend on canoe hire, camping or moorings (valid until the end of the 2021 season). The voucher will be non-transferable and will have no cash alternative.
PLEASE DONATE AND SHARE

https://www.salhousebroad.org.uk/store/p11/Donation_£5.html?fbclid=IwAR1IZ3oPhckFeSKajIwcp0t93lr9ZOyjoe0K8GFoVd2KhVQzrrEphVuft3E

• Like 1

Hang on a minute. Salhouse Broad is owned by the Cator family one of the biggest land owning, business owning and industrial unit owning families in the area.

Are you sure this is kosher? 

It seems genuine but I can't imagine them with a begging bowl

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Hang on a minute. Salhouse Broad is owned by the Cator family one of the biggest land owning, business owning and industrial unit owning families in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/SalhouseBroad/

Whilst it maybe owned by cators, it's not hard to go lots of money to zero and it may be run as a business and thus still needs to earn it's own living otherwise a plug is easily pulled.. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, marshman said:

I believe it is run by a charity but as you say it is the Cators behind it all

https://www.salhousebroad.org.uk/

Like many charities, the primary cost to be covered will be that of the Ranger - and thats no mean feat!

No trace of it on the Charities Commission web site, that I can find. From the Salhouse Broad web site:

The site is managed by the landowner, Henry Cator, and the Salhouse Broad Rangers, as a sustainable business. Henry knows the importance of protecting the Broad’s past, whilst also meeting the needs and challenges of the future. Management therefore focuses on maintaining and improving the visitor facilities at Salhouse Broad, whilst retaining its value for wildlife, heritage and community. To that end, income generated by the Broad goes back into the upkeep, maintenance, conservation and improvements to access of Salhouse Broad.

Ironically, had the family not taken it back from the Broads Authority a few years ago, the current costs would be borne by the toll payers. 

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2020 at 14:46, vanessan said:

A columnist who calls a spade a spade and very often writes what I have been thinking! I reckon he will currently find quite a few articles to include in his ‘you couldn’t make it up’ section. 

Anyone that 'couldn't make it up' needs to improve their limited imagination. :12_slight_smile:

(typed on September 12, 2021 from Neptune on my proton beam device using my fifth arm, via the silicon chip implanted in spare brain)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Paladin said:

No trace of it on the Charities Commission web site, that I can find. From the Salhouse Broad web site:

The site is managed by the landowner, Henry Cator, and the Salhouse Broad Rangers, as a sustainable business. Henry knows the importance of protecting the Broad’s past, whilst also meeting the needs and challenges of the future. Management therefore focuses on maintaining and improving the visitor facilities at Salhouse Broad, whilst retaining its value for wildlife, heritage and community. To that end, income generated by the Broad goes back into the upkeep, maintenance, conservation and improvements to access of Salhouse Broad.

Ironically, had the family not taken it back from the Broads Authority a few years ago, the current costs would be borne by the toll payers. 

Land within their riparian ownership has benefits from reparation at lease end or agreements  with the BA. Their river bank quay was replaced as part of the Salhouse Spit regeneration and Cockshoot had similar work I believe. Or do NWT own the Dyke?

I am a tad out of touch. Is the path from cockshoot to opposite The Ferry still closed? And what is the current status of the moorings there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JawsOrca said:

https://www.facebook.com/SalhouseBroad/

Whilst it maybe owned by cators, it's not hard to go lots of money to zero and it may be run as a business and thus still needs to earn it's own living otherwise a plug is easily pulled.. 

I think you are correct. From the piece provided by Paladin which describes Salhouse Broad as a sustainable business. To be sustainable it must be able to support the three principles of sustainability, economic, social and environment..

So I think what they are saying in simple terms is  Salhouse Broad is a "Stand Alone" business and must be completely self financing. Having no ties to the rest of the estate.

Maybe it is just me, but I do find soliciting donations a bit strange when bone fide charities like Cancer Research, the RNLI, and many many others, with their shops closed and flag days etc suspended will be experiencing a huge drop in income.

• Like 4

The problem is at the moment I think we hang on the the word of everyone and everything in the hope of hearing or seeing a glimmer of something positive.    You just never know what to believe now which is dreadful.   Sounds like a genuine idea but then so does so many scams out there.     Just be careful.   Does anyone personally know the Cators and can phone them and find out if this is kosher.   I used to have one of those flyers they gave you when you paid your fees , on there were several contact numbers.   Anyone still got one.

14 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I can. Too right I can !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a difficult one, as we would all like Salhouse Broad to still be open when we get back. Even though we could argue that it has to be, as it is tidal water.

We are also suggesting that we should still pay the tolls on our boats even though we can't use them right now, so maybe this is the same sort of thing.

On the other hand, mooring at Salhouse has hardly been cheap in recent years. What the French would call "Profitez - en!"

Last year Susie and I stopped on the river bank moorings on our way down-river, to have a late lunch before moving on. There were no other boats on the mooring and we soon found out why when a warden appeared out of nowhere and demanded a fee. When we suggested that we had just stopped for a quick sandwich lunch, he said it says so on the notice (which was right down the other end) and we still had to pay our four quid, or whatever it was.

We advised him to spend our money wisely, as it would be the last payment he would receive from us.

• Like 1

well just had the call from Martham boats, we have initially moved my holiday to the end of July, this may or may not get moved again nearer the time, at present they are just trying to fit the bookings into later this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grendel said:

well just had the call from Martham boats, we have initially moved my holiday to the end of July, this may or may not get moved again nearer the time, at present they are just trying to fit the bookings into later this year.

That is very sensible. My guess would be, that you have about a 50 : 50 chance of a holiday in late July. Only time will tell!

• Like 1

We have a cottage booked for mid August, they have offered to change dates FOC, probably wait another couple of weeks before deciding.  May move it back to August 2021 and if the situation improves we'll take pot luck with a last minute holiday.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NeilB said:

We have a cottage booked for mid August, they have offered to change dates FOC, probably wait another couple of weeks before deciding.  May move it back to August 2021 and if the situation improves we'll take pot luck with a last minute holiday.

Snap ,  have been thinking when the time comes and if we get offered the chance we will move it to the next year, God willing we are all still here to enjoy a holiday.      Waiting to hear from Richardsons regarding May's holiday.

On 02/04/2020 at 14:42, Hylander said:

Snap ,  have been thinking when the time comes and if we get offered the chance we will move it to the next year, God willing we are all still here to enjoy a holiday.      Waiting to hear from Richardsons regarding May's holiday.

That's interesting I'm waiting to hear whats going to happen about the booking I had on 30th of last month with all the uncertainty I think I'd prefer my money back for now at least.