Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

4 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Read the act: it applies to all commercial vessels.

I didn't need it pointing out to me and I doubt any other boatyard did either as we all make use of this rule each year for boats that are being built, refurbed, offered for sale or just mothballed.

No it applies to "vessels" afloat in "commercial" premises. That does include commercial boats, and it also includes private boats in commercial premises if they are being stored.

2 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

No it applies to "vessels" afloat in "commercial" premises. That does include commercial boats, and it also includes private boats in commercial premises if they are being stored.

Oh, for God's sake, not again.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Fine. Stop arguing here and take your argument to the government which, I believe, has plenty of time on its hands right now.

• Like 9

For what its worth ECIPA, thats pretty fanciful  As has already been said, I care not a lot about the money but far far more for my Broads which I have loved, and still do, for so long. If paying a toll keeps it broadly as it is, then so be it.

Indeed after its all over, I shall be pleased to stand up and say that I contributed - what you do I really don't care but to be quite frank I just wish you and your like, would just shut up and go out gardening!!! If that gets me a warning do I care? No not a jot!!!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, marshman said:

Indeed after its all over, I shall be pleased to stand up and say that I contributed - what you do I really don't care but to be quite frank I just wish you and your like, would just shut up and go out gardening!!! If that gets me a warning do I care? No not a jot!!!!

I didn't know whether to "laugh", "thank", or "like".

Please consider that you have had all three!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Fine. Stop arguing here and take your argument to the government which, I believe, has plenty of time on its hands right now.

I'm not arguing, I'm discussing, and have no intention of taking it to the government, as you implied they are busy enough. Anyway it's a matter for the BA.

1 hour ago, marshman said:

For what its worth ECIPA, thats pretty fanciful  As has already been said, I care not a lot about the money but far far more for my Broads which I have loved, and still do, for so long. If paying a toll keeps it broadly as it is, then so be it.

And for what it's worth I wish that you and your like, whatever that's meant to mean, would learn how to take part in a discussion civilly and not make it personal. However I will not be brow beaten by anyone. I will speak my mind civilly and hold my own point of view and take part in a discussion civilly. We don't have to agree, in fact it would be a very boring world if we did, but we can be civil and polite and as long as people feel the need to quote me, I will feel the need to provide my own viewpoint civilly. If people read that carefully there could be a very quick end to this discussion and then we can all go gardening. :default_beerchug:

1 minute ago, EastCoastIPA said:

And for what it's worth I wish that you and your like, whatever that's meant to mean, would learn how to take part in a discussion civilly and not make it personal. However I will not be brow beaten by anyone. I will speak my mind civilly and hold my own point of view and take part in a discussion civilly. We don't have to agree, in fact it would be a very boring world if we did, but we can be civil and polite and as long as people feel the need to quote me, I will feel the need to provide my own viewpoint civilly. If people read that carefully there could be a very quick end to this discussion and then we can all go gardening. :default_beerchug:

And before that post gets modded, my reply is DAFFODILS.

If the lockdown is lifted in a couple months and the flight restrictions are not.

There won't be enough boats to hire or space on the water as everybody takes a holiday except those poor souls that have lost jobs or having to work to get us out of this mess!

I have already informed where I worked I will go back if they need helping out through staff shortages, it takes 6 months to train printers up for the job.

paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Indeed after its all over, I shall be pleased to stand up and say that I contributed -

Exactly how I feel. We paid the toll just before lockdown, the marina fees and our breakdown cover.   We also had budgeted long ago for our boat to come out of the water for anti-fouling and hope that this will still be able to happen.  Visualising being back on the Broads is the one thing that’s keeping me sane right now so if the money we've paid so far this year helps that, we cant say we didn’t at least try to do our bit in keeping things going. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Exactly how I feel. We paid the toll just before lockdown, the marina fees and our breakdown cover.   We also had budgeted long ago for our boat to come out of the water for anti-fouling and hope that this will still be able to happen.  Visualising being back on the Broads is the one thing that’s keeping me sane right now so if the money we've paid so far this year helps that, we cant say we didn’t at least try to do our bit in keeping things going. 

Well said, us too 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I am pretty sure I must be the only member of this forum who has actually been put out of a Broads boatyard business by a drastic recession and who has found himself literally sitting on his suitcases in what used to be the customers' car park, waiting for a taxi to take him to the railway station.  I swore then, that I would never let that happen to me again.

More by luck than anything else I managed to avoid disaster. Jimmy Hoseason had changed the demographics of his customer base in an attempt to take on Freddy Laker at his own game, that was to prove a bad move. Dougy Rushmere at Ripplecraft was keen to expand so we let our boats go, thank goodness. Up to that point my souvenir shop was providing a more than reasonable living. For several years I'd been selling expensive, premium grade plush's, soft toys, that were incredibly realistic. As was the way of the industry I contracted to buy so much stock throughout the summer. At the start of that last, fateful season,  the toy rep asked if he could sign me up at the same rate as the previous year, I said no, I had enough to last a couple of weeks, it actually took me all summer to sell those few leftovers. Thankfully a rich Londoner came along, wanting to buy into the lifestyle, so we sold the company and thank goodness we did. Astons at Beccles, plus most of the yards at Oulton Broad were wound up, no longer were our moorings full, fifty plus boats a night was the norm. The new owner often told me how he never came anywhere near to the turnover that we had achieved. Largely I managed to hang onto what I had but many of my friends didn't. 

A change of customer base, crippling interest rates, the industry was struggling. 

This time around the interest rates are low, at the moment, the bigger fleets are strong with some superb boats. People will be wary of foreign holidays, at least for a while, I do see some of the smaller businesses falling by the way, but the long established yards, especially those who own their freehold, will survive & flourish, of that I am confident. Following an enforced lock down I suspect people will be keen to take a holiday.  My concern isn't so much for the big yards, my sympathies lie more with the pubs and attractions, many of whom rent their premises.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

This time around the interest rates are low, at the moment, the bigger fleets are strong with some superb boats. People will be wary of foreign holidays, at least for a while, I do see some of the smaller businesses falling by the way, but the long established yards, especially those who own their freehold, will survive & flourish, of that I am confident. Following an enforced lock down I suspect people will be keen to take a holiday.  My concern isn't so much for the big yards, my sympathies lie more with the pubs and attractions, many of whom rent their premises.

It's not going to be easy for any of the yards; bigger businesses have bigger overheads and any smaller business that stays lean and keen, that can be quick to react and had understanding landlords could do well on the other side; of course depending on how far away the other side is. 

Many of those wanting holidays post lockdown will already have booked them and had to move them too and this loss of new business could be crippling, regardless of how lean and nimble you are. A very real problem is the knock on to 2021 also and the fact that we do not have a vaccine so we could be on a loop/repeat cycle. That is unless we all gain herd immunity :40_rage: 

• Like 5

In my mind there will be a reasonable time lag between the initial relaxation of lockdown restrictions and the eventual resumption of cross-border travel and aviation. It'll make sense for countries to ensure the pandemic is out of the way domestically before they let foreigners back in to their country. For this reason, when the 2020 Broads season eventually resumes I can foresee the rivers being busy (assuming enough people have disposable income to spend). 

• Like 3

My last contribution to this part of this topic.

Vaughan /Andy stop rising to the baiting.

Ecipa if you have a complaint take it up with the relevant authorities.

ALL I know is that 7000+ and rising  and their families would love to pay the toll even if they do not have a boat!

paul

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Vaughan /Andy stop rising to the baiting.

Ecipa if you have a complaint take it up with the relevant authorities.

ALL I know is that 7000+ and rising  and their families would love to pay the toll even if they do not have a boat!

paul

What baiting?  If you mean that I was led into telling the true story of what happened to me, the last time, maybe you didn't believe me.  Or maybe you are baiting yourself.  I fully appreciate your sentiment about the 7000+ but maybe that also, is not for this thread.

I saw on TV this evening - I can't remember exactly where - that small businesses applying for the government's new relief loans are already being quoted at 20% interest by some banks.  So the buzzards have already started circling.  For the last three years before I finally closed down, I was paying 22% on my business loan.

Now that was what I call baiting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We love the Broads and enjoy our many days afloat , where we can escape from the rigours of everyday life and have no issue in the paying of the tolls and have indeed done so , we also have no problem with the hire industry being given the suspension to the tolls in the current climate, but do have a query and wonder if anyone knows the answer .

When the travel ban is lifted and hiring is once again permitted does the annual toll then apply to those hire boats as it does if you toll a private boat half way through a season or will it just be for the percentage of the season remaining ?

If it is for the annual toll then these “heated discussions” have all been totally unnecessary .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Stop arguing here and take your argument to the government which, I believe, has plenty of time on its hands right now.

What? And step out through the back of the wardrobe into the real World! They only deal in facts out there. No thank you, I'll stay here in "Twist the facts round to suit my own agenda World" if it's all the same.:default_hiding:

Take the p*ss, me? Yep.:default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

Any offence will "automatically" be removed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Ok, It's not "the broads" but given the short fuses about and the stir-crazy feelings being shown, I'll throw this one into the lions den to get chewed up.

In the mornings these days I look out to the distance and I can see the M11. It's quiet, very quiet and I understand that Britain's roads have all been much the same. Now, we know we were asked to stay at home and only make journeys when absolutely necessary. The reason for this was to reduce motor accidents thus aiding the NHS. I understand this has worked to a significant extent.

A few years ago, we had a hard winter. there were many accidents on the roads. The insurance companies were hit and premiums rose as a result. … you know where this is going now, don't you :-)  …  So, the insurance companies will, so far, have profited from the reduced traffic. Does anyone think this might be reflected in our next renewal quotes? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ok, It's not "the broads" but given the short fuses about and the stir-crazy feelings being shown, I'll throw this one into the lions den to get chewed up.

In the mornings these days I look out to the distance and I can see the M11. It's quiet, very quiet and I understand that Britain's roads have all been much the same. Now, we know we were asked to stay at home and only make journeys when absolutely necessary. The reason for this was to reduce motor accidents thus aiding the NHS. I understand this has worked to a significant extent.

A few years ago, we had a hard winter. there were many accidents on the roads. The insurance companies were hit and premiums rose as a result. … you know where this is going now, don't you :-)  …  So, the insurance companies will, so far, have profited from the reduced traffic. Does anyone think this might be reflected in our next renewal quotes? 

No bloody chance! That's not how they work.

29 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

On a similar non broads related vein, perhaps we should have started a new thread,  a member here said they had to take their son to A+E a genuine emergency and they were dreading the queues and what it might be like. They were really surprised to find it empty and were seen and on their way in no time. Which got me thinking that for the first time possibly ever, people are treating A+E as a proper port of last resort for genuine emergencies rather than a way of jumping the queue for a GP or Dentist appointment. Added to that with pubs and clubs shut people are no longer going out getting absolutely bladdered with no sense of responsibility for themselves safe in the knowledge that someone will sweep them up of the streets and deliver them safely to A+E for the night.

It would be nice to think that moving forward once this crisis is over people maintain their gratitude and have a lot more respect for the NHS and keep A+E for the genuine emergencies, but how could the government ensure that happens. Should they consider some form of charge for those who burden the NHS through their own recklessness as a result of drink or drugs?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

As I hit send on my last post I realised I hadn't actually responded to your question. Something else to bear in mind is that you normally are asked to specify an annual mileage. If you under estimate it, then they can reflect that in any potential claim by reducing the amount they pay out. For many the reverse is now going to be true in so far as they will be completing many miles less than they forecast. Will the insurance companies give a refund for over stating the mileage. I suspect I know the answer to that one.

Along a similar vein, I would imagine that the burglary rate has dropped as a result of so many more people being at home. Will that also be reflected in next years home insurance premiums?

• Like 1