Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

We can all speculate over which date we believe lock down measures will permit overnight staying in our boats or hire craft are able to start being rented but that’s all it is , speculation.

I eagerly await a formal announcement from the government but would gladly wait longer if by doing so the covid -19 threat is reduced, what I do find frustrating is , little or no action is being taken against the idiots who are openly breaching the current rules by crowding together on beaches in parks or even at illegal raves plus those who are mass protesting chanting lives matter but by their actions they are not only endangering their lives but also everyone else’s !!

• Like 4

Absolutely right that is all speculation, but I was just interested to see how others were interpreting the situation.

From what I can make out, it seems possible that we are on track for the 4th July like campsites, but others  feel it's unlikely until much later. 

I am alway amazed by how may different interpretations, you can get on the same thing. We can all learn or find interest, from listening to others viewpoints, any forum is full of speculation.

The Yachter Charter companies down here on the South Coast, certainly seem to have their hopes pinned on the 4th.

I'm being a bit wary on the next release as the BLM protests could knock the rates back up but it will take 2-3 weeks to know, most protesting are younger healthy people that may not not know if they are infected so won't show till they pass on to someone else making it a 2x incubation period to see.
The worrying thing is that the majority protesting are in the group most likely to be seriously affected (or their older relatives) according to the ethnic breakdown of hospital cases, it appears viruses can get away with discrimination.

Not sure we saw a negative effect from VE Day that many predicted?
I also remember the news showing “packed” beaches in Southend on 20th May. I purposely went into the gov.uk data file to see how many positive tests Southend are reporting since. I seem to recall it is single figures although obviously not everybody was from southend.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

19 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I will also go out on a limb and state the date we are allowed to stay over on our boats,

the same day it is announced by the government. :default_biggrin:

Until then, nobody knows.

Which by pure coincidence will be the day I am actually sleeping over on Cerise Lady 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Looking at HW just a moment ago I see there is activity in the marina.  Looks as if they are charging up the boats.  Well that is my take on it.     :default_stinky:

Activity.PNG

This morning they updated their Facebook page with this:

"We're still finding plenty to do here on the boatyard!

Picnic boats and day boats are being worked on and going through our maintenance programme and we've had brand new key heading fitted in our day hire section.

All we need now are our customers!"

Whilst I rarely agree with him these days, it only affects a narrow band of people - not many want to go and stay on a boat alone!

If you allow two individuals to stay on a boat, then he has to allow hiring and even you I suspect can see that would be entirely different! Once you do it for boats you would have to allow motor homes etc and that opens another area. Adding just one person into a bubble is really not that much different to the status quo but will help many oldies from going further down the loony track i hope!!!

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I normally avoid these nightly TV briefings but I have just sat through tonight's, for what it was worth.

I think the obvious answer is that I should contact the Broads Authority and re-register my motor cruiser as a "support bubble".

As a last resort you could always manipulate the system and advantageously re-brand your boat, all the best people do it!

1 minute ago, marshman said:

Whilst I rarely agree with him these days, it only affects a narrow band of people - not many want to go and stay on a boat alone!

If you allow two individuals to stay on a boat, then he has to allow hiring and even you I suspect can see that would be entirely different! Once you do it for boats you would have to allow motor homes etc and that opens another area. Adding just one person into a bubble is really not that much different to the status quo but will help many oldies from going further down the loony track i hope!!!

Whilst I fully agree with you , what I find ridiculous is the totally unclear message he is sending out with these various “steps” , ie you can stay overnight at someone else’s (but only one other household within your bubble) provided one household is made up of only one person or a single parent , then goes on that sex between absent lovers is now allowed , I guess that’s ok if you are older and your girl/boy friend has their own residence , however the youngsters whom are the most likely to respond to this change are most likely still living in the family home thereby NOT permitted to meet indoors , fat chance of preventing that.

whereas those individuals with boats , caravans , tents or even 2nd homes whom are able to self isolate with their household are still on lockdown , I’m not stating it’s wrong to prevent overnighting in our alternative accommodation but the overnighting now permitted is totally unworkable and will be abused greatly.

As I’ve said before I will wait till ukgov give the ok before we stay over on our boat but wish they would give clearer guidelines to the public . 

The problem is that they are trying to avoid opening up the whole rental market which they would have to do if they allowed two to stay over together - actually it is quite a good way of relaxing things very slightly without opening the flood gates - award Dominic a gold star for thinking that up!!!!!

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, marshman said:

The problem is that they are trying to avoid opening up the whole rental market which they would have to do if they allowed two to stay over together - actually it is quite a good way of relaxing things very slightly without opening the flood gates - award Dominic a gold star for thinking that up!!!!!

Under the new guidelines there is nothing to prevent the four in my household (all adults) staying over with my mother and under new ruling my mother then would become for all purposes a member of our household , I was saying our household staying at our alternative accommodation poses no greater risk (in fact as it would be only me or me and Katie afloat it would be lower risk).

The new relaxing could and possible will cause a lot of friction between couples where they both have one surviving parent, which ever parent they choose will upset the one which misses out and will cause resentment where non existed before .

A problem that didn’t exist before has been created ,and by the governments long  explanation  it was one they were very much aware of ,yes we need to relax things slowly but they need to consider the wider ramifications .

• Like 2

Sadly we are down to one Mum between us now but I can well imagine the difficulty you describe during the years both mums were with us! We probably would have had to stay away from both to avoid big friction, not between us but from the mums to us!

They said people from single person house holds ie people who live alone.. or single parents with with children under 18.

I took this to mean NOT households with more than one adult? .

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bexs said:

They said people from single house holds ie people who live alone.. or single parents with with children.

I took this to mean NOT households with more than one adult? .

One of the households has to be either a single adult or a single parent with young children the other household strictly speaking has no number limit so if hubby wife both their parents and ten kids live in one household then no problem with them all visiting .

you cannot switch between households though , the household you join with means they become for all intent and purposes an extension of your household and you may not bring further households into it.

Surprisingly they have stated that they will not be policing this and will rely on individuals honesty , haven’t they seen the beaches etc lately ? 

One of the households has to be either a single adult or a single parent with young children the other household strictly speaking has no number limit so if hubby wife both their parents and ten kids live in one household then no problem with them all visiting .
you cannot switch between households though , the household you join with means they become for all intent and purposes an extension of your household and you may not bring further households into it.
Surprisingly they have stated that they will not be policing this and will rely on individuals honesty , haven’t they seen the beaches etc lately ? 

Ahh so the second household can be of any size, got it!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network