Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:
41 minutes ago, Bexs said:

I am pondering, day boat hire could well be classified as an Outdoor Attraction, so now allowed to open?

I imagine there is some frantic scrabbling going on behind the scenes. With many businesses now trying to figure out if they can fit under that banner...

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Only if they take the canvas hood  off, and take a chainsaw to the solid roofing bits..

You'll be allowed to sit in an enclosed tin box and drive at 6mph along a narrow tarmac strip in line and look out of the windows at animals either side of you.

Well every cloud has a silver lining to some extent. I would have been on the Broads this week but if the weather down there is as bad as it is up here in flat cap land it's maybe not so bad. 

Mind you, I would probably have been sheltering in the pub :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bexs said:

How are they any different to a car? 

We are talking of hire boats not Private Boats, therefore not hire cars.. I don't know if Hire cars are yet available, but the hire car yard nearest work appears to be still closed..

56 minutes ago, TheQ said:

We are talking of hire boats not Private Boats, therefore not hire cars.. I don't know if Hire cars are yet available, but the hire car yard nearest work appears to be still closed..

I was thinking more along the lines that you can now drive your car through a Zoo/Safari park, or to an outdoor cinema...

The day boats could be cleaned after use.

I suspect the dayboats ARE cleaned after each use, but what's needed at the moment is not far short of sterilising between each use. That's not going to be so easy. The same applies to longer term hire. There's no saying what the previous hirer has touched. Ok, the cooker and the loo, but did he go into the engine compartment? Was he curious as to how the battery bank was wired?

We are told how long the virus can survive on hard surfaces, but what about soft furnishings?

No, the hire fleets have more headaches than the private boat owner on this one. 

It has been mentioned here that when the private boats are allowed to be used, the hire fleets will have to be opened up at the same time. I hope this is not the case. Effective virus control is easier on the former rather than the latter.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bexs said:

The day boats could be cleaned after use.

But would they? We have all come across human waste on the river bank where day-boat users have been caught short and doubtless sticky fingers will have touched much of a boat's interior, it's how it is. Perhaps temperature checks before picking up a boat might be an option. Whatever, whilst many won't worry, I would. The obvious requirements for a deep clean will be a handicap for the hire-boat industry, whether for hourly or weekly lets. It will also be a barrier for many potential hirers. No disrespect for the work done by the unsung heroes, the boat cleaners, but perhaps fumigation and or steam cleaning is a way forward. Perhaps even syndicate boats will share this problem, at least to a degree.

Seems that MM & myself both see the problem, therefore it must be a valid concern!

even syndicate or shared boats are easier, as there is a limit to the number of users, but it does beg the question if a syndicate member tests positive, then the person who uses the boat after them may need to self isolate for 14 days.

I am thinking of making the 560 mile round trip.

Am I right, legally I cannot stay overnight but if I leave very early morning and have a sleep early evening then set of home before midnight, travel through the night back home that is allowed?

paul

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

even syndicate or shared boats are easier, as there is a limit to the number of users, but it does beg the question if a syndicate member tests positive, then the person who uses the boat after them may need to self isolate for 14 days.

I suggest that would be a personal choice as the current track and trace is around human contact and not transference via objects

I wouldnt self isolate in that scenario, but like I said that would be a personal decision

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I suspect the dayboats ARE cleaned after each use, but what's needed at the moment is not far short of sterilising between each use. That's not going to be so easy.

You'll probably end up with a mist/fog sanitiser, either as an aerosol similar to used on some international flights or a special machine. However, these are likely to be in short supply as airlines stock up.

5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I just scanned it..

OK folks watch out for all the speeding day, boats they're allowed out again..

I don't think they are, I caused this (seemingly heated) conversation, by wondering if they would try and come under the banner of "Outdoor Attraction"...

1 minute ago, Bexs said:

I don't think they are, I caused this (seemingly heated) conversation, by wondering if they would try and come under the banner of "Outdoor Attraction"...

that falls under 

Self-drive day boat hire and bareboat charters

You can hire self-drive boats or charter a bareboat for the day only. You should only hire or charter a boat with people from your own household or support bubble.

Operators should:

apply appropriate social distancing measures, including during boat hand over

clean boats between users

set up and follow cleaning and waste removal routines after each hire for all handrails, indoor surfaces, and toilets or bathrooms

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

But would they? We have all come across human waste on the river bank where day-boat users have been caught short and doubtless sticky fingers will have touched much of a boat's interior, it's how it is. Perhaps temperature checks before picking up a boat might be an option. Whatever, whilst many won't worry, I would. The obvious requirements for a deep clean will be a handicap for the hire-boat industry, whether for hourly or weekly lets. It will also be a barrier for many potential hirers. No disrespect for the work done by the unsung heroes, the boat cleaners, but perhaps fumigation and or steam cleaning is a way forward. Perhaps even syndicate boats will share this problem, at least to a degree.

Seems that MM & myself both see the problem, therefore it must be a valid concern!

There have been huge problems with human waste being left behind at the beaches after all the crowds go home, the local press here has been full of residents complaining and having to do clear ups. It is really quite mind boggling what disgusting animals some people are.... boats or no boats.

Whilst I agree with some of what has been said, I am afraid sitting indoors, and in front of computers, has caused a lot of you to seemingly lose the ability to assess risk in any kind of balanced way!!! Worst of all, there is poor old MM obsessing whether anyone has been fiddling with the batteries - you just could not make it up!

I will leave you lot to continue to muse away and fantasise about the risk whilst I am out and about enjoying myself, selfishly of course! This weekend is going to bring more sun, and I shall enjoy it out in full.

Incidentally, sorry to disappoint you Mr Nog, but I have been able to polish my boat this week so its not been that bad - a bit cooler but thats been fine!

And equally whilst I agree with young Mr Waller about human waste, the councils must bear considerable responsibility - I am not sure even now as to whether all public conveniences are open? Just as they have in Broadland abrogated their responsibility for domestic boat waste, they are seemingly sitting around in meetings discussing whether to reopen urinals at all because of the splashing!  Dear oh dear!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1