Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

Interesting post froom Rum Punch, my wife and I walked out of Roys in Hoveton yesterday as it was the most badly organised place we have been since lockdown. Queue for the grocery store all round the houses in the clothing area with nobody having any idea what was going on.

Where did we go? Tesco in Stalham. No queue, resonable organisation, far from perfect and the only problem the other customers, dithering seems to be a national pastime these days.

Goodness knows what it will be like when the hire boats get going.

6 hours ago, grendel said:

face coverings, so far i have bought several face coverings online. one size fits all is a misnomer,  they dont, most are designed to hook under the chin, and cover the nose, well none so far have managed that for me, several have straps that while elasticated are too short, and even when i can get them on, leave me with prince charles ears, and threaten at every instant to slip loose. most to cover my nose sit half way between my chin and mouth, and as i have a beard, none have formed anything near a seal around the edges.

I could wear a scarf across my mouth, but then i cannot breath properly, for me i need a mask with the breathing valve incorporated so i can wear it for more than a minute or two.

thus so far i have not found a mask i can comfortably wear for longer than a few breaths, so have been having to make do without, while i am sure most people can fashion a suitable mask, for some this is not an option.

Somewhere online there are suggestions for making masks from old t-shirts which need no sewing. Only a pair of scissors needed. If you have an old t-shirt that is fairly thin, you may find that wearable. 

Having a beard means that most coverings are near useless but I have found that neckerchief, bandanna style, works well enough, providing two layers  of cloth over my nose and mouth  with the potential of a tissue filter between the layers. I can tuck the bandanna into my t-shirt and the top edge held in place under my glasses. 

I did not find the situation at Roys at all confusing!! Pretty straight forward to me - they have you queuing in the clothes bit of the shop to keep you out of the rain but also to stop the queue blocking up what is a fairly narrow pavement on a very busy road, right by a bus stop and the pedestrian crossing! Eminently sensible to my point of view!

With the car park being on the other side of the road, I think I prefer the shop to a 40 tonner whizzing by my lug hole!!!!

• Like 1

I see on NBDs website they are taking bookings from early July (Hopefully Boris will confirm later), but this caught my eye. "We are producing safety videos for hirers to download and view before they arrive at the boatyard; as well as information to keep you safe on the water, the films provide a comprehensive “virtual handover” for your cruiser." So it looks like they they will be doing virtual handovers. Seems OK for how everything works on a boat and for those who have boated before, and I guess you can keep a copy on your phone for reference. I'd be interested to know their plans for handling tuition for first timers.

• Like 2

Would be sensible -  if they actually look at them!! However it may just stop a few callouts on one or two basic things as they can refer to them during the hire.

Hunters used to, and perhaps still do, send you something to watch before you go out sailing - shame then that perhaps 50% still cannot reef a boat properly!!!!

• Like 1

Videos make a lot of sense in the current environment and would certainly reduce the amount of time needed for the real life handover. First timers still need real life guidance on the boat handling bit though I feel. 

I've booked a trip for next year with Caley Cruisers in Inverness (my first visit there). They actually ask you to arrive by midday do they can show you a safety video in advance of handover. 

• Like 1

You always had a 45 minute video when you hired on the Shannon. However, although they are inland waterways the likes of Lough Derg, Ree, and Ness are often a lot less benign than The Broads.

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Videos make a lot of sense in the current environment and would certainly reduce the amount of time needed for the real life handover. First timers still need real life guidance on the boat handling bit though I feel. 

I've booked a trip for next year with Caley Cruisers in Inverness (my first visit there). They actually ask you to arrive by midday do they can show you a safety video in advance of handover. 

A few of the companies on the Canals do similar, one company we went with on the Leeds Liverpool Canal  used to have a classroom with all the people going out that day were instructed with models of locks, shown videos before they were allowed on the boats. Speed on the canals was repeatedly mentioned. When we were allowed to set off in staged groups we all headed in the direction towards the summit and we had to go though 4 locks. We were timed by the staff who were waiting at the last lock, anyone who had rushed therefore  was retained and given additional instruction  (know doubt a slap on the wrists) before being allowed to continue.

To be honest the canal is great once you get towards the top, around Skipton and towards Leeds, the other end of the canal is not to pleasant and can be intimidating, similar to the passage through the centre of Manchester where you are advised to make the journey during the day only and stop for nobody, drunks and druggies have made the city almost a no go area, the city basically have let the canal go to pot, lock gear is poorly maintained and the underground built up areas do not help. Areas with shops and waterfront bars are closed or run down; unlike Birmingham where the Gas Street basin area is brimming with life, waterfront bars, restaurants and shops. 

Regrds

Alan

34 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

the passage through the centre of Manchester where you are advised to make the journey during the day only and stop for nobody, drunks and druggies have made the city almost a no go area, the city basically have let the canal go to pot, lock gear is poorly maintained and the underground built up areas do not help. Areas with shops and waterfront bars are closed or run down;

Makes you appreciate the Broads Authority 🙂

23 hours ago, marshman said:

Would be sensible -  if they actually look at them!! However it may just stop a few callouts on one or two basic things as they can refer to them during the hire.

Hunters used to, and perhaps still do, send you something to watch before you go out sailing - shame then that perhaps 50% still cannot reef a boat properly!!!!

The majority don't read the handbook provided . What chance they will view beyond the first 30 seconds or so ?

• Like 2

It's odd isn't it, I wonder what the first time hirer is expecting from their holiday! When we booked our first Broads Cruiser holiday I couldn't get my hands on enough information and devoured every book and instruction I could lay my hands on! The double holiday, as it seemed to me, was the nature and beauty on one hand and helming a boat for the first time on the other.

Of course I caught the whole Broads and boat"bug" from day one! 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray said:

It's odd isn't it, I wonder what the first time hirer is expecting from their holiday! When we booked our first Broads Cruiser holiday I couldn't get my hands on enough information and devoured every book and instruction I could lay my hands on! The double holiday, as it seemed to me, was the nature and beauty on one hand and helming a boat for the first time on the other.

If f course I caught the whole Broads and boat"bug" from day one! 👍

I agree.   But for many the attitude appears to be ' I can drive a mota innit !'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ray said:

Of course I caught the whole Broads and boat"bug" from day one! 👍

Likewise, I couldn’t wait for that Blakes or Hoseasons information booklet to arrive and probably knew it off by heart within a day or so! Things seem very different nowadays with social media playing such a big part in everything. I’m sure there will be some eager to watch videos etc but equally there will be one or two first timers who think they know it all anyway and won’t bother. Such is life these days. 🤨

• Like 1

“ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE TIMES HAVE CHANGED TO ALLOW TIME FOR DEEPER CLEANING OF PROPERTIES. PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE AT YOUR PROPERTY BEFORE 5PM AND LEAVE BEFORE 9AM ON YOUR DAY OF DEPARTURE. THANK YOU”

I’ve just received a detailed invoice for our holiday boat hire with Broom in September, it states a change of handover from 14.00 to 17.00, now I’ve no complaints about this as the extra time is for the boat to be deep cleaned for our benefit but seeing as sunset is 18.00 on that day and with the understandable rule that there is no navigation after sunset then I am concerned that the available time will not be enough to complete the handover, obviously the first night will be in the boatyard,.

With the previous handover time being 14.00 we had planned to moor up around Cantly/Hartley Cross in preparation of crossing Breydon on the Sunday morning, that will now have to wait until the Monday. I’m not sure if having previously hired boats on the Broads ( Royalls and Richardsons) and I have taken the RYA power boating course albeit a few years ago will make any difference to the handover.

This “Safer Stays” procedure will be and is being adopted by responsible boat hirers so hopefully the inevitable delay in most instances causing an overnight in the relevant boat yards will not result on the following morning being turned into a waterborne whacky races

The quote at top of post appears to be a generic Hoseasons one on behalf of Broom so the boatyard may have other ideas, will have to wait and see.Having said all that we are so happy that at the moment it looks like we will get our much look forward to holiday, a bonus will be having time on the Saturday morning at a brokerage looking at a possible purchase of our own boat, but shush don’t tell the Missus.

Try writing or e-mailing Brooms and tell them about your level of experience. it might make a difference and be to both your advantage. They don't have to waste time telling you which end is the front end, and they might let you leave pretty sharpish.

Either way it won't do any harm.

Thinking about this, it might help all hirers and hire yards if the hirers informed their yards of experience levels