Coronavirus And The Broads

BroadsAuthority

As the Broads Authority have stated on another thread 

1 hour ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Good morning all,

We are aware of the posts on social media by Barnes Brinkcraft regarding hire boats and their statement that they have received permission from DEFRA and the Broads Authority to recommence hiring.

This is categorically untrue, we are expecting an announcement soon from DEFRA on guidance for hire craft however no permission has been granted by the Broads Authority and we are still waiting for the Government announcement.

We are now in direct communication with Barnes Brinkcraft’s management to get this clarified and corrected. We are conscious that this will have caused confusion amongst hirers and business owners. Please await further news soon.

Tom

• Like 1

Hi Vaughan - the reason, I guess, we cannot stay overnight is that opens up the can of worms about germ ridden furriners coming in  to their second homes- none of these places like Southwold can really decide what to do! Some residents of Southwold have been pleading on the one hand, to keep them away, whilst on the other, some businesses who these people support, have been asking for special help to keep going!!! There is also a lot of poncy Conservative MP's in these areas ,who probably not local, pretend to be for the sake of the electorate. Even Great Yarmouth has been pleading with people to stay away - or the councillors, safe with their expense claims, are!!

You couldn't make it up!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I also wonder why they are not starting until Monday when the legislation appears to be valid from 1st June.  Or are there still some more boxes to be ticked?

In view of the post from Tom (Broads Authority) on another thread, I think my suspicion is confirmed!

I suppose I shouldn't comment, as most members of this forum will know that the Thwaites family are among my old and dear friends.

All the same, I can't help laughing!

• Haha 2

That must have been a "fun" conversation!
They are hiring canoes and things here on the non tidal medway and kentish stour so I suspect it's coming.. Tad strange that the EA have allowed it already though..

• Like 1

46.  Showrooms and other premises, including outdoor areas, used for the sale or hire of caravans, boats, or any vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means.”.

I don't know how other people are reading this but to me it says car showrooms, boat brokerage, caravan sales areas etc can open for viewing re: future sales or hire not that they can hire out dayboats, camper vans or caravans. I'm sure the likes of NYA  and others will be able to make sales but boats may have to be delivered for clients while the overnight rule remains. 

Just my thoughts.

Colin :default_winko:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Islander said:

46.  Showrooms and other premises, including outdoor areas, used for the sale or hire of caravans, boats, or any vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means.”.

I don't know how other people are reading this but to me it says car showrooms, boat brokerage, caravan sales areas etc can open for viewing re: future sales or hire not that they can hire out dayboats, camper vans or caravans. I'm sure the likes of NYA  and others will be able to make sales but boats may have to be delivered for clients while the overnight rule remains. 

Just my thoughts.

Something doesn't smell right, I suspect there's a further change coming on monday that some know about, which opens things up further as I read that as you mention. 

Bit strange though we went canoeing on Saturday and they were hiring then (so before this came into force) so wonder what legislation they were reading from..

26 minutes ago, Islander said:

Just my thoughts.

You have to remember to read that in conjunction with the other advice which is that you can not stay away from home overnight. Therefore the above does allow boat hire, not being allowed to stay away from home overnight would indicate only day boat hire for now until the overnight guidance is changed. However, all this needs to also be read in conjunction with other existing legislation. I believe the BA are the licensing authority and have their own set of guidelines by which hire boat operators need to operate by. The BA guidelines and regulations were put in place pre Covid and may need manipulating to allow safe operation of hire boats from a H+S point of view.

So simply put the government has generally said Yes, but with no overnight stays which is why some areas are allowing canoe hire etc. The BA as regulator for The Broads has to give its final guidance and say so for The Broads. Hence it is seeking guidance from above, DEFRA.

24 minutes ago, Islander said:

Just my thoughts.

It is permissible to stay away from home for work and has been all the way though I believe. Had it not been, Television news coverage would have been all-but impossible along with essential work on, say Oil Rigs, at the Bacton Gas Terminal, factories and so on. 

The wording of the amendment is certainly open to some interpretation, but is seems the full intention was to permit business to be conducted rather than allow businesses to say "Well, this is what you could have hired...."

6 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Something doesn't smell right, I suspect there's a further change coming on monday that some know about, which opens things up further as I read that as you mention. 

Bit strange though we went canoeing on Saturday and they were hiring then (so before this came into force) so wonder what legislation they were reading from..

I don't think so. Canoes and other "exercise" making vessels have been legitimately hired for a few weeks. It's self-propelled vessels that we are talking about now which were permitted from 1st June technically, but there was no guidance for it, so, technically, anyone doing so would have been operating outside of government guidance (because it didn't exist). 

It's easy to be critical of the government in this and I have been, but looking at this seriously, these changes are progressive (even if they are unwise to my view having followed the scientist's comments), but having to produce new guidelines for specific industries as we ease out of lockdown must be challenging and the legislation changes must be hard to do on the hoof, so to speak. Like many things, it's easy to look in and say, "bloody fools, why did they do it like that" when you have no idea of how much has to happen that you can only just guess at.  

There are real challenges in boat hire that barely exist in other industries. If you hire a car, you have a bit of paper that says that you have passed a test and can drive the thing; in our industry, you need to sit with someone and show them how to drive the thing and, more importantly, stop it. Very different things.  

• Like 4

Broads Authority have issued an update on there Facebook page

(Copy below)

Broads Authority statement 05 June:

In light of a number of posts by boatyards on social media, the Broads Authority would like to clarify the current position regarding vessel hire on the Broads.

The Authority is keen to facilitate a return to boat hire on the Broads for the benefit of businesses and the public. Whilst legislation has been passed which allows the future hiring of boats, the conditions under which this can be done have not yet been released. We anticipate that there will be a Government announcement early next week (from 8 June).

The Broads Authority urges boating companies to wait for this announcement before taking any bookings so they can be sure that the conditions can be met to ensure the safety of staff and the public. No permission has been granted by Defra (or the Authority) for boat hiring to resume at this moment in time.

The Broads Authority will communicate any further advice from Defra as soon as it is received.

In the meantime, companies need to prepare for re-opening by preparing an operational plan to ensure social distancing and high standards of cleaning are in place, as well as the usual requirements for boat safety certificates, tolls and insurance for their vessels.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

The Broads Authority urges boating companies to wait for this announcement before taking any bookings so they can be sure that the conditions can be met to ensure the safety of staff and the public.

If this turns out to be the same as I have read on Le Boat's website, then shore toilets and showers on the bases will be closed to the public to maintain hygiene.

Very sensible I am sure, but not good news for attracting those who wish to hire a day launch.

• Like 1

Not good for the environment either as just like when they closed the refuse sites fly tipping increased, no doubt closed toilets will bring an increase in wild toileting!!!

If this turns out to be the same as I have read on Le Boat's website, then shore toilets and showers on the bases will be closed to the public to maintain hygiene.
Very sensible I am sure, but not good news for attracting those who wish to hire a day launch.

I don't know about other people but when you get to a certain age you need to know where the next toilet stop is going to be.

The closing of public toilets is only giving the local council an even bigger mess to clear up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

Not good for the environment either as just like when they closed the refuse sites fly tipping increased, no doubt closed toilets will bring an increase in wild toileting!!! emoji1751.png

It already has in Derbyshire and some coastal places. Ironic then that a lot of beaches still ban dogs to avoid mess!:facepalm:

It's good to be optimistic!

We are supposed to be on Moonlight Shadow from 27th June....

There is a glimmer of hope that I may get my late June holiday.
Or am I being over optimistic?

• Like 1