The Big Firkle 2020

Timbo

Ah, 42, the answer to the universe eh?

I may be able to help you with your problem, no I`m not for studding you old fool but for moving the lathe. I have a van and covid allowing will be travelling to the Leeds area at some point, hopefully early, next year to visit sis so dependng on travel restrictions, the bed length and weight of the lathe it may be doable.

• Thanks 1

In this episode...new management, a lesson in glassware and getting leathered!

When it comes wallpapering or wrapping presents, Christmas or otherwise, my efforts are abysmal. The master wrapper upper is my better half Ellie. At this time of year Ellie will have spent several full days gift wrapping expensive perfumes in advance of the rush. So with new management allegedly 'in charge' its time to start the process of wrapping the safari bar in leather. The first thing that the new management did was to order the glasses for the bar.
"You've made it the wrong size!" said management.
"Nooooo. The bar is the right size. The glasses are incorrect."
"These are gin glasses and they don't fit." said management.
"No, that is not a gin glass. What you have there, is technically known as a 'bucket'."
Eventually management conceded and moved on to cutting the leather.

20201216_133251.jpg

The 'leather' I had bought is what is known as 'reclaimed' leather. It looks like leather, it feels like leather, it smells like leather, it's made from reclaimed leather from tanneries, upholsterers and shoe makers. The leather scraps are treated with resin and shaped into sheets with a cotton fabric sandwiched between the pressed leather surface and suede backing. It's cheaper and more environmentally friendly than vinyl and is a fraction of the cost of new leather. I bought a 1.5 metre by 1.5 metre square of reclaimed leather for £12.50.

20201216_133303.jpg

Ellie first calculated that I had bought enough leather to wrap the outside of both halves of the bar and had enough left over to cover the inside of the backs of each 'box'. With the backs cut to size I was ushered out to my workshop for the next step while Ellie got on with making the various 'Christmas Pickles and Chutney' she pops into everyone's Christmas Hamper. I have to say that as I left for the shed the smell of hams baking and herbs and spices simmering was making me feel very hungry.

Back in the safety of my shed I got on with the important part of the next stage in the process. I took some petroleum distillate from the shelf and applied it to some cotton wadding. A small piece of graphite was dropped into a tube passed through the wadding and held in place with a small spring and brass screw. With a finger and thumb I carefully extracted the doofah from behind my ear, sparked the new flint, lit the doofah from the ball of flame that erupted from my Zippo and had a smoke while I drank a coffee.

Other than the leather, contact adhesive and the back panels which were to be covered with the leather I would need my trusty Stanley knife, masking tape and a leatherworkers wooden chisel wedge. The wedge is just a piece of hardwood which tapers down to a chisel shape at one end and is square and true at the other end. The ends of the chisel bevel are rounded and the top slope sanded flat and smooth. The wedge is used to flatten out the leather and to stretch it into all the corners once the glue has been applied.
20201216_142352.jpg
With contact adhesive sprayed onto the plywood back panels I put the panels off to one side to dry while I coated the back of both pieces of leather. While I was waiting for that to get dry to the touch I set about masking off areas of the box that I didn't want coating with glue when we covered the outside of the box.
20201216_135041.jpg

Next step, lay the leather onto the panels and smooth out with the wedge. It sticks immediately but with enough wiggle room to expel the air bubbles underneath with the wedge.

20201216_142311.jpg

With the panels inserted into the boxes, I screwed them into place and mixed up some epoxy filler to fill the countersunk holes flush and any gaps or blemishes on the outside of the boxes that would show under the leather applied to the outer surface.
20201216_143540.jpg

Putting everything on one side to cure...it was time to pick the grandkids up from school and nursery. It's starting to feel as though Christmas is one the way!

20201216_133258.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"Good morning, sign here, there's an important message inside. I will wait."
It's not one of the seemingly endless stream of Amazon deliveries arriving for Ellie, but the pharmacy with my medications prepacked into dosette boxes.. Since my medication review at the start of November, I've been feeling absolutely awful. My usual level of headache has gone from 'worst hangover you've ever had' to 'brain crawling out of skull' intensity. The tremors in my hands hands reached the point where people were starting to notice the coffee splashing out of my cup and I'd developed a case of dropsy. Worst of all, my bad temper had resurfaced. Local idiots realized I'd gone from 'you're an idiot' to 'pick a window you're leaving' levels of intolerance. I telephoned the doctor the previous day to report how crappy I was feeling.

I opened the sealed packet of medication and took out the note. 'Please stop taking the previous batch of medicines immediately and return them to the pharmacy'. This was odd. Handing over my old meds to the driver I opened up the new ones. I couldn't see any difference, same colour and shape of tablet. I compared a box of meds I had inadvertently forgotten to hand over to the driver with the new but the dosages etc all seemed to be the same. With Ellie shouting through the window to remind me to take my meds...I took my evening meds and toddled off to bed.

I woke up feeling...better. I'd slept for one thing. I took the gastro resistants and pottered around before taking the rest of the various pills, injections and potions. I gave Dylan his tablet. Had a shower, and took Ellie to work.
"Your hands are not shaking." Ellie pointed out. "You're actually smiling, what gives?"
She was right. My hands were not shaking, my headache had reduced to levels I was able to handle, my breathing was easier, I was feeling...relatively normal, normal for a Timbo anyway.

Later after walking the hounds, I set to firkling in the shed. First job was to finish sanding the exterior of the Safari bar and mask it up ready to apply the glue and the leather. That done, I turned my attention to making a box to house the pens I had made for Ellie.

A rummage in my lumber racks and I came up with a 15" length of iroko and a similar length of figured maple. I cut rebates into the iroko with the table saw to take a top and bottom of the figured maple. I then used my No 78 rebate plane to refine the rebates and remove any waste wood not removed by the table saw.

20201218_130756.jpg
I was feeling so 'well' that I would attempt something I had not done in a long while. Allegedly easiest method of making a box, whenever I try Mrs Cockup makes a visit, but I was going to have a go at mitre joints.

I dropped my home made crosscut sled onto the table saw and used my digital angle gauge to crank the saw blade over to forty-five degrees. Now I tried to get my head around cutting the joints. Mrs Cockup knocked on the door a couple of times, but I didn't answer. Eventually, and with only a couple of millimetres to spare, I had enough material to cut the sides of the presentation box.

Now for the glue-up and to see if I had everything right. I laid some masking tape onto the bench top sticky side up. I then laid the box pieces end to end and applied glue to the joints. Rolling the box up supported by the tape and...B me! It had worked!
20201218_135635.jpg
I had the odd gap, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with some glue and sawdust. Next step, the tops and the bottoms!

• Like 3

In this episode...

Lessons from Doug. Mrs Cockup escapes London ahead of Tier 4 and brings her friend Mrs Balzup, but Mr Thinkonyafeet and Miss Happyaccident team up with Miss Tinker to save the day...almost!

Two important lessons I learned from Doug are:

1. There is always the option of getting another piece of wood.
  2. There is always a solution, you just have to think of it!

The presentation box had turned out better than I anticipated. I cut the figured walnut top and bottom and fitted them into the rebate. Although the design was more utility than aesthetic is looked...reasonable.

Next step was to strengthen the mitre joints by adding splines on the corners. I cut some strips of maple on the table saw to the same thickness as the saw blade to make the splines.

20201219_135122.jpg
 I then mounted the box into my spline jig. This jig holds a box at forty-five degrees to the table saw blade so slots can be cut in the corners to take the spline.
20201219_135205.jpg

Things were going well. I'd almost finished cutting all of the spline slots...
20201219_135220.jpg
The splines fitted exactly into the slots...
20201219_135251.jpg
Then on the very last slot to be cut, my concentration wavered, I put the box the wrong way round in the jig and...
20201219_135305.jpg
Disaster!

If I tried to patch the bodge it would look terrible. I'm running very short on bits of 'fancy' timber. My usual supply has dried up and eBay, another source of exotics, was either too damned expensive, couldn't deliver in time or both. So I was loath to start all over again with more timber. A mate of mine was a bit amazed that I have tools and fittings stored in boxes made of exotic and figured lumber. These are just boxes that went wrong

A rummage in my scraps bin and I found a piece of walnut that I could possibly use if I followed Doug's rules 1 ans 2. I dismantled the spline jig and cut the top off the box running the saw blade through the slots already cut.

Clamping the box in my vice I cut a new rebate into the top edge. I didn't have a lot of room to play with, so I cut things as fine as I possibly could.
20201219_145158.jpg
After some clean up work with the chisels I set to squaring up and planing the walnut to fit.
20201219_150543.jpg
There was a dodgy section on one corner of the walnut, but when I had planed it down and chamfered the edge it turned into some very nice figure.
20201219_174909.jpg

All that was left for me to do was to fit the splines and glue the new lid section into place.
20201219_180023.jpg
And if I'm honest...I think the new lid looks better than the old design. I think. I hope. 

• Like 6

All thoughts of woodworking have been binned as I am back on beagle watch again. Dylan started with his seizures again on Sunday. Three during Sunday night, so we were at the vets again 9:30 Monday morning. A consultation, an additional prescription and refill of his existing one and I was a hundred quid lighter. At 11:30 am Dylan had another seizure. He had another one at 6PM. Another at 9pm and I telephoned the vet who instructed I give Dylan an extra dose of his medication to settle him down. This hasn't worked although it was midnight until he had his next seizure. He had another at 2am and another just now at 3 am. In between each one Dylan is totally disorientated. He's walking into walls, trying to eat trees and bushes and just will not settle. When he lays down he goes straight into another seizure. 8 am can't get here soon enough for the vet to open for business!

• Sad 5

Beagle Watch Update

I pounded the streets with Dylan from just after 3 am until 7 am. Because Dylan would fit immediately he closed his eyes and went to sleep, if I kept him outside snuffling about he wasn't fitting. We popped indoors at 6 am to give him his meds and then back out on the streets. Nature called at 7 am...for me...and unfortunately, the moment Dylan laid down on the mat i the bathroom he went straight into a fit.

This time I was past tired and summoned Ellie to help. The vet was called and by 8:15 we were pounding the streets in the village just outside of town waiting for the vet to open.

Once inside the vet took Dylan while rummaged for my notes of fit times, medications given, video footage to time fit duration and symptoms. The outlook was not very good. Dylan has one last roll of the dice to see if we can get him out of his fitting cycle or as the vet put it 'you have to consider too much damage has been done and it's time to pull the plug'.

It was decided that Dylan would get his chance and would be sedated to see if it brought him out of the cycle of fitting and to give a chance at some rest. By the time I had finished signing forms, Dylan was so absolutely exhausted and had fallen asleep at the feet of the vet. With social distancing rules and Dylan with the vet I couldn't ruffle Dylan's ears as I left.

The vet contacted me at 1pm to let me know Dylan was fighting hard to stay with us. He's had two hours solid sleep, a big drink, a bigger pee and no fits so far. We will know more at 5pm. Everything is crossed.

• Sad 6

Final Beagle Watch Update.

Sadly Dylan or Dylly passed around ten o clock yesterday (Tuesday) evening. We thought he had responded to treatment and the vet said we could bring him home at 6pm, however as his sedation wore off at home he was obviously in distress.  Barking, and beagles don't normally bark, whining and pacing up and down in a repeat of the previous night, trying to eat anything edible and everything inedible, Dylan had a seizure at 7pm. He continued in some distress, barking whining and trying to tell me he was not feeling right. Eventually he jumped onto the bed and settled in the crook of my knee. This was his usual place to be comfortable. If I told Dylan to 'assume snuggle position' he would curl up here. No sooner had he curled up and started to sleep, he went into another seizure.

Before we left for the vets, Toby licked and nuzzled at Dylan. Talk about knowing what's happening! At the vets and when he had been given the sedative, Dylan was once again the little pup who loved to cuddle and he curled up with his head in my lap as I sat on the floor. He closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Dylan was a working dog. His job was to detect strokes and heart attacks in me. My little early waning system was always accurate and would give me three days prior warning of being unwell. If Dylan said I was going to be poorly, then poorly I would be. He was never wrong and was more accurate than any medical test devised by man. He saved my life on numerous occasions and more importantly was the focus of my day. No matter how ill I felt, or whether a stroke had wiped people from my mind I had a little bundle of fur that would prompt and remind me that I needed to be up and moving and that I had a purpose. He was loved and will be missed so very much. 

As I type Dylan's brother and litter mate Toby is by my feet. He's not had Dylan's training but since we arrived back at home he has been constantly by my side and keeps pushing his head into mine which was Dylan's signal that 'all is not well'. I will be fine, and Toby and I will muddle along together as best we can.
20200926_233322.jpg
Dylan at work! 

• Sad 14
  • Love 2

Sigh, its so sad it really is, especially at this time of year too.  What a horrible pig of a year its been for you and now this.

Tim - Of course you will get through this, you don't need the likes of me to tell you that.  Thank goodness for Toby being with you, he'll help no end.  As for Dylan - well, you both gave each other a fantastic time together it was just his time to go.  It happens time and time again, our faithful loving friends just don't live long enough compared to our average lifespans but it does give us the opportunity to build another relationship and give yet another dog a loving home.  I miss all of our G.R's as we go again and commence with Purdy - Our fourth since me and MrsG hooked up together.

Thinking of you at this horrible time Tim, nowt I can do to help - if there was I would.

Griff

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Thanks everyone, I have to admit to feeling somewhat raw, a little numb and thankful for the hard work Dylan did over his life. Over these past couple of days I've come to realize how much I relied on him to get me through the basic tasks of daily life. From the dab of cold nose to get me out of bed to the constant nudges he would give with either his paw or his nose or physically shepherding me around the flat so that I did the tasks I was supposed to do in the correct order. 
Nose Dab = pay attention
Paw scrape=pay close attention you forgot something
Bark=something is wrong
Push against Dad's legs=go this way
Sit on Dad's feet=Don't move, finish the job you were doing.

Dylan was so good at his job that I didn't realize he was doing it. My smoke alarms are suddenly doing over time as I turn showers on and forget what I was doing or I put the coffee pot on and forget it. Ellie keeps making me jump when she pops in as I no longer get the advanced warning she has left her house. So please bear in mind it will take me considerable time to get ready in a morning and get my brain, or what's left of it, in gear.

Life goes on and Toby is finding things just as tough as I am. He's a very different character, more nervous than Dylan, shh, don't tell him, but he's nowhere near as bright. He's a dog of contradictions liking his solitude, right now he's taken himself back to bed and left me to my own devices, yet very needy. He will yap every time you stop stroking him or are not paying him attention. But we are learning to muddle through together. He is missing Dylan as much as I am.

So what's been happening other than moping? Oh yes, some idiot in the pound store broke social distancing, reached over me and knocked my glasses off my face, breaking them. Nor was he wearing a mask and deliberately coughed into my face in the process. Unfortunately,for him, I was not in the right frame of mind.

Some aspects of Christmas have been delayed this year. In normal circumstances Ellie donates high end shower gels, deodorant, body sprays, shampoos and fragrances to the old folks home and day centre that Uncle Albert attended. The staff usually put together Christmas Stockings for the residents and clients, especially those without family, so that they get a bit of luxury at Christmas. Due to Covid, these items are still in the boot of my car waiting to be delivered and go through the rigorous checks before they are allowed into the home. Still, they will make a welcome New Year's gift.

Santa was very generous this year delivering tools, monogrammed workshop apron and plenty of wine and various bottles and jars to top up my collection of trucklements.

Christmas dinner was with our family bubble and was very much Harry Potter themed. Gracie is Hogwarts mad so Ellie had decorated a 'proper' Hogwarts wood and leather school trunk, complete with Gracie's initials and house badge (Ravenclaw like me). Inside the trunk were official school robes, house scarf, a suitable cauldron for first years, leather-bound Hogwarts notebooks, quills, a potions game, an owl, chocolate golden snitch and enough chocolate frogs and Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans to feed an army of students for a whole term.

Little Arlo was over the moon with his ice cream cart and was busily making ice creams with sauce and sprinkles for everyone, printing Play Doh money, charging us 'millions squids' per ice cream, chasing Toby round the garden and showing us all his new ride on JCB digger and his 'Big Boy Plaster' where they took blood samples at the oncology department on Christmas Eve.

Christmas dinner looked like the 'Great Hall' at Hogwarts with Gracie still in her robes and scarf. The huge dinner and mounds of plates seemed to have been conjured by house elves and the house elves...well Daddy's dishwasher soon cleared the debris. Hugs and kisses all round before we headed back home.

In the evening I relaxed with Toby Dog and watched 'The Longest Day'. Great film and a rare watch for me. Ellie is a fan of old films with actors long gone. I get forced to watch things like Rebecca...did you know there are 2367.5 knots in the wooden flooring in the living room? Ellie will look at me in horror when I proclaim James Mason to be a 'crap actor'. My interest in cinematic effects usually means my attentions wander towards the latest scifi blockbuster but I had caught up with all of the latest film releases way back in October. 

An early night, Ellie back at work on Boxing Day, today. To be honest, while she's been working today, I've spent the day in bed sleeping.

A merry Christmas, what's left of it, to one and all and looking forward to a better New Year.

• Like 7

I don’t really know what to say to you Timbo. I’ve only ever owned a dog once many years ago for only a short while. But it’s clear how intelligent dogs can be and how much you loved Dylan and amazing all the ways in which he helped you. So all I can do is wish you brighter days ahead as things settle down. 

• Love 1