Use Of Electric Posts Exclusively For Charging Electric Boats.

RealWindmill

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54170207

"Carbon dioxide emissions from plug-in hybrid cars are as much as two-and-a-half times higher than official tests suggest, according to new research"

The main attraction would appear the benefit in kind taxation charge !   Many ex company full hybrids appear at car auctions wit the charging cable still sealed in it's original packaging  !

I think that was kind of the point I and others made above?

Actually, while battery density is indeed quoted in wh per litre, the experimental Samsung batteries are claimed to be close to the same figure per kilo.

If you look at the development of vehicle batteries over the last ten years, energy density has dramatically improved. Look at the first-gen leaf and the current one, then compare the battery capacity and the vehicle's overall weight.

But yes, as mentioned earlier it is likely that fuel cell is the answer.

What I was talking about is the potential of having a decent (say 100KWH) battery pack on a boat in order to provide domestic and propulsion power for a time (say proper overnight electrics, and power below 4mph) but with a fuel cell there to keep thing topped up during daytime hours and when the boat is moving faster.

Think of the noise benefit. People say diesel isn't a problem but I bet if you had a near-silent cruiser you'd love it. We all would. 

• Thanks 1

Well, some really good and informative and well thought out posts coming on here today. Learning loads. Such a shame the Like button is not working.

Am going to make a bit of a tongue in cheek remark here - please don't all rush out and buy new EVs will you. I need enough power kept in the grid to keep mine charged !

( inset laughing and get my coat emojis )

• Like 1

So...a boat to tour the Norfolk Broads with as small a carbon footprint as possible, composed from biodegradable or recyclable materials that could offset part of the carbon bill of it's construction...er...why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Timbo said:

So...a boat to tour the Norfolk Broads with as small a carbon footprint as possible, composed from biodegradable or recyclable materials that could offset part of the carbon bill of it's construction...er...why are we trying to reinvent the wheel?

you mean wooden boats dont you Tim, with sails?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Poppy said:

"Carbon dioxide emissions from plug-in hybrid cars are as much as two-and-a-half times higher than official tests suggest, according to new research"

They are, yes. Emissions tests are well-known to be total balls.

But the article also pointed out that they're still at least a third cleaner than regular vehicles. I'll take that and having driven a proper hybrid recently I would have to say they're pretty good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Timbo said:

Because some things wheely matter.

• Haha 2

On 12/09/2020 at 09:25, RealWindmill said:

Back to the subject of boats and lecky. Then putting posts in yards where there used to be diesel outlets makes perfect sense. But what of the outcry from the larger craft, both hire and private, if they are not provided with posts  to enable them to enjoy bankside moorings and still have their hotel room and kitchen type luxuries ?Are their expectations too high?

Looking around I would think the number of BA moorings with suitable access for charging points is pretty much maxed out now, as for Marinas the supply in most of them  is not that reliable tripping out with minimal loading now.

Fred

• 5 weeks later...

Love my old Mercedes diesel inboards , the offset in carbon footprint by converting them would be impossible to achieve in my lifetime or my children’s .

The “greenest” way forward for the planet is to stop becoming a throw away society , keep using what we have and stop replacing everything .

My boats engines are 42 years old they still function perfectly , I have no need to replace them with an electric power source powered by batteries whose manufacture has raped the planet for the materials and have a usable life far less than the remaining life than my current engines .

• Like 10

11 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Would also love to hear of MM’s new boats chosen name , or should there be a forum competition , the winner to attend the renaming and provide liquid sustenance of course 

I believe the name NYX will be moving to the new boat, if I recall correctly?

10 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

I believe the name NYX will be moving to the new boat, if I recall correctly?

Yes, you do remember correctly. I did think of the full title "Nyx, goddess of the night" but just Nyx will be easier and cheaper to get the decals. Does anybody know where I can get said decals?

9 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes, you do remember correctly. I did think of the full title "Nyx, goddess of the night" but just Nyx will be easier and cheaper to get the decals. Does anybody know where I can get said decals?

Get a piece of cardboard and cut out the letters Nyx, then place the piece of cardboard on the boat and liberally apply several coats of Starbrite boat wax to the gel coat through the cut out letters. Remove the cardboard and let the patina gradually reveal your boat name. :default_beerchug:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Does anybody know where I can get said decals?

I used 'Art and Sea' (online) for mine last month, perhaps not the cheapest but I am very happy with the quality and service. They also had a good selection of fonts and a decent 'designer' tool so you can see what your decals will look like etc.