Water Bikes In Wroxham..

Horses for courses Scrumpy, A day boat is more about travelling where one of these bikes would be hired for a "bit of fun on the water".

I wonder how many youngsters would/will graduate from hiring one of these to eventually going out on the rivers on or in a more serious craft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

It's a different matter if they get pie-eyed having already rented one

At £25 an hour it would be an expensive way to get pie-eyed  :default_blink:

19 minutes ago, vanessan said:

That really surprises me. We mainly cruise the southern waters and have yet to see one of these. 

We saw it tied up in Hippersons boat shed couple of years ago back and they do advertise it on there web site with canoes and kayaks and day boats . They did say to us it was a novelty thing. 🤣🤣

I’m not against Them.

It’s the “do the rules of the river apply to me?” That worries me.

Ive sailed into a Cornish harbour and had throw everything into reverse as a kayaker came storming from the walls with the harbourmaster shouting at them to keep the entrance clear. 
it later turned out the kayak operator said something like he thought the rules only applies to proper boats. 
it’s the fact that these and paddle boards are used for fun and fun isn’t sitting around in what amounts to a virtual road system 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBlueSky said:

I,m of the opinion that Thorpe Green would be an ideal location for the water bikes

Whitlington would be an ideal spot too. There is road access, a car park and a place to either picnic or buy refreshments.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

£25 an hour per bike .... expensive for family of 4... 

£30 an hour for day boat... fits 4 to 6 

I know what I would be hiring ... And I expect the majority would aswell...

That makes the day boat a better economic decision. When you think of the amount of time spent on maintenance, the tolls etc. for a day boat and the much smaller expenses on a water bike I wonder where they get the pricing from.

• Like 1

Having spoken to Simon, the owner, this morning, I can confirm that the Bikes are NOT permitted anywhere near the bridge. They will be instructed to go to Bridge Broad. 

As for people commenting on the cost, give it a break. If you don't want a bit of fun on the water, don't hire one. There will be plenty of people keen for a go and £25 for an hour's fun is nowt.  After being couped up for months, people will be keen to get outside and enjoy the environment. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

As for people commenting on the cost, give it a break. If you don't want a bit of fun on the water, don't hire one. There will be plenty of people keen for a go and £25 for an hour's fun

You should see the cost of hiring a day boat in York! :default_icon_e_surprised: puts 25 quid in the shade! :default_biggrin:

23 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

You should see the cost of hiring a day boat in York! :default_icon_e_surprised: puts 25 quid in the shade! :default_biggrin:

abso-bloddy-lutely. 

You can't hire a boat anywhere else in the country to my knowledge cheaper than you can on the Broads.

In 2019, you would have been charged £35 for an hour in a Dinghy with an outboard in Stratford Upon Avon with a cruising distance similar to a postage stamp and a queue as long as your arm. In Windermere, its £38 for an hour on a quality electric boat and a maximum of two hours hire. Not dissimilar on the Thames at Kris Cruisers either. 

Some of these commenters don't have a clue as to just how inexpensive it is around these parts when you compare to other areas. 

• Like 2

Back in 2000 when I first hired a boat on the broads I looked into day boat hire on my local river when we got home, after looking at a couple of places and prices I was horrified, by the end of the week I had an offer accepted on a Norman 20, oops that wasn't meant to happen, turned out so much cheaper than dayboats on a regular basis.

21 years on and I'm another poor boater....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Having spoken to Simon, the owner, this morning, I can confirm that the Bikes are NOT permitted anywhere near the bridge. They will be instructed to go to Bridge Broad. 

Thanks, I will just have to be careful when moored up in a secluded bay on bridge broad when i come out of the shower then. actually I cant think of a better place to cycle one of those around than bridge broad.

That comment surprises me Griff. How much do you reckon an hours clay shooting costs. An hour in a pub doesn't cost me very much less than £25, not if I include the fruit machine!

Things, especially "an hour of fun" tend to cost rather more than we often think. An hour in a chandlers for under £25, Dunno, never done that!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

That comment surprises me Griff. How much do you reckon an hours clay shooting costs. An hour in a pub doesn't cost me very much less than £25, not if I include the fruit machine!

Things, especially "an hour of fun" tend to cost rather more than we often think. An hour in a chandlers for under £25, Dunno, never done that!

That makes sailing seem Cheap...

club membership divided by about 100 hours sailing a year.

£1 an hour, 

For the last 20 years I've been sailing and crewing other peoples boats so that was it..

If you buy a second hand sailing  boat and look after it,,  you should get back what you paid for it, at the end, so purchase cost in negligible.

New set of sails every 5 years for the boat I'll be sailing about £1500 /100/5 =£3.

Insurance  + broads tax about £300 per year = £3

Maintenance maybe £100 per year £1

So the must pays for my future sailing £8 an hour, less per hour once I've retired and I can sail more..

Hmmmmmm, interesting. Twenty five quid would probably equate to Mrs Nog's hourly gin consumption :default_norty:

If a family say wanted to go on the bikes (I think there is a minimum height) but say 2 teenagers, that's 100 quid. A dayboat in York maybe 60 - 70 but you could get 6 on board. 

Sounds good fun though, I'd consider giving it a go

54 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

If a family say wanted to go on the bikes (I think there is a minimum height) but say 2 teenagers, that's 100 quid. A dayboat in York maybe 60 - 70 but you could get 6 on board. 

They were pretty well my thoughts. A group of people with each paying their own way is one thing but for a family a tidy sum. However, I don’t know what other water transport costs. We spent a couple of days at Geldeston Locks last summer and there was a constant stream of families with canoes, kayaks and SUPs so I think the water bikes will probably be popular - this year particularly. 

• Like 1