Sephora From Nya

Broads01

4 hours ago, andyg said:

I didn't know NYA hired cruisers, you learn something new everyday I guess. I like the look of money penny. But wow at 3.5k for a week in high season il give that a miss,  Nice looking boats though. 

The boat is to wide for the Ant and Chet, also to high for some bridges, so nice as the boat is its not for me.

5 hours ago, andyg said:

I didn't know NYA hired cruisers, you learn something new everyday I guess. I like the look of money penny. But wow at 3.5k for a week in high season il give that a miss,  Nice looking boats though. 

Brooms have similar, Clean Sweep or Explorer. 
https://www.broomboats.com/holidays/the-explorer/

Marginally cheaper I think. 

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Nice to see the odd addition here and there.... a shame that as UK holidays go bananas Richardsons have sold a lot and Freedom have closed down so good to see the odd expansion

Dan

What have Richardsons sold Dan? I haven't kept up with boats being advertised.

Hi,

I hadn't realised until recently that Richardsons have sold or are in the process of selling 45-50 boats although that is over two seasons. Usually they sell 10 boats a year and build 3 however this all changed after 2019. The majority of Horizon 35s have gone once a mainstay of the fleet (Spring Horizon s, Southern Gem and a couple of others remain) all the remaining Connoisseur 37 and 42, all but 1 the Calypso's and for the first time in recent years the Classic for Richardsons Bounty 37s have started to disappear. Amber Gems and some of the Magic s for example. 

I suspect this maybe part of the restructure since the sad loss of Mr Richardson senior plus covid won't have helped initially although they are continuing to invest in the holiday park which suggests the company is still in it for the long term hopefully they will start building again in the future to part compensate for the reductions. 

Anyway back to the thread good to see additional craft being added here and there with Sephora being a more normal craft for NYA which can cruise a reasonable amount of the Broads. Horning Pleasure craft are expanding to atleast 6 boats and a number of yards still building new.

Neil

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Broads01 said:

What have Richardsons sold Dan? I haven't kept up with boats being advertised.

It's hard to know exactly which have sold as the site doesn't seem to be updated but there are whole classes that have been dropped including all

Silver Gem

Amber Gem

Dream Gem

Fairway

Tideway

Opal Gem & Madeira

San Fernando (seems younger than the others to drop)

and as mentioned the odd other one from within a class such as a Monarch, some Magic's, Rio, a Jamaica (another suprising one).

In recent times San Marino's, Serene Gem's, San Carlos' also have departed.  

I see they are now selling holiday homes at Hemsby so perhaps a few directional changes

Dan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dan said:

It's hard to know exactly which have sold as the site doesn't seem to be updated but there are whole classes that have been dropped including all

Silver Gem

Amber Gem

Dream Gem

Fairway

Tideway

Opal Gem & Madeira

and as mentioned the odd other one from within a class such as a Monarch, some Magic's, Rio, a Jamaica (another suprising one).

I see they are now selling holiday homes at Hemsby so perhaps a few directional changes

Dan

Now I would definitely be interested in finding out more about hemsby. Would you have anymore information please Dan or point me in the right direction.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Silver Gem

Amber Gem

Dream Gem

Fairway

Tideway

Opal Gem & Madeira

Dan

Thanks Dan. I'm very surprised they're selling so many. I think for this year at least, if they could have booked out the whole lot had they held on to them. I can only imagine that with the budget end of what they hire the profit margins are very small. I guess if they cut back enough they can reduce the number of changeover days where they have to operate both Kingfisher and Swan Quay, so big savings in staff costs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dan said:

Thaks, I like what richardson's have done with the hemsby site. My grandchildren really enjoy staying here. If fact we will be visiting in two weeks time. I do like the look of what's on offer I migh look into it a bit deeper. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/04/2021 at 23:17, Broads01 said:

Just been browsing NYA's website. They don't do boat hire, they do "private charter", don't you know. "Private charter" is marketing speak for "an upmarket description of boat hire so we can charge more".

I’ve noticed too that there are no apparent hire yard markings, just a pennant with nya on it. I saw Sephora a few days ago, I don’t usually go for ‘sporty’ types but this really is a nice looking boat. For a while I was quite convinced it was a private boat until I noticed the pennant. The nya and Broom top ‘charters’ all fly the red ensign too. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I’ve noticed too that there are no apparent hire yard markings, just a pennant with nya on it. I saw Sephora a few days ago, I don’t usually go for ‘sporty’ types but this really is a nice looking boat. For a while I was quite convinced it was a private boat until I noticed the pennant. The nya and Broom top ‘charters’ all fly the red ensign too. 

Thought it was only owners who flew ensigns on boats other than the MOD.

30 minutes ago, vanessan said:
1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Thought it was only owners who flew ensigns on boats other than the MOD.

No idea but I expect someone can confirm. 

Vessels with British owners in British waters wear the red ensign if they wish, as there is no obligation for registry. The history of the pilot jack, a union flag with a white border, is obscure and is said to have been flown by warships requiring a pilot, back in the days of sail.  Nowadays, it is taken to denote that a vessel is British registered.  Even so, you only wear the pilot jack on the jackstaff in the bow, when the vessel is not under way.

The ensign and the jack are known as colours and are raised at 0800, which is called "morning colours". In flag etiquette, flags and burgees are "flown" but colours are "worn".

There is no reason why a hire boat cannot wear an ensign but they normally don't, as they just get broken off within 2 weeks on hire!  Whatever you fit on a hire boat has to be HIRER PROOF.

By the way, any hirer of a vessel is the charterer, in maritime law.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NeilB said:

I think it used to be quite common on some hire boats until the late 70’s or so.  Loynes even had them on their dayboats.

Add to that the fleets of Ernest Collins, Jack Powles and Smith and Forster. 

Fred

• Like 1