Live 'Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow' Posts

YnysMon

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

What aircraft are you?

Bloody autocorrect !!

With an airdraft of 6'6" Wroxham should be no problem,  just keep it as close to central as possible. I would happily bet that Luna would go through at less than 6'6" but if that's what the plaque says, obey it (for now).

• Like 2

We moored up at St Benet's around 12.30, had a sandwich lunch, took the dogs for a run around the Abbey grounds then chilled back on board.

There was quite a lot of wash from passing speeding boats, but we were anticipating that would die down later. However, having observed how the wind was freshening (several passing Sailey's were having a wonderful time) and blowing onto our mooring we started to imagine what the bow slap would be like later.

Just before 4pm we set off again, this time down Fleet Dyke in search of a more sheltered mooring and found the ideal one on the bend. Only two other boats here and lovely brand new quay heading. 

Good decision, but ticking off St Benet's as a first time overnight mooring will have to wait for another time. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

ticking off St Benet's as a first time overnight mooring will have to wait for another time. 

We’ve overnighted there a couple of times. I think you’re right that the river becomes very still once the boat traffic lessens. You can get great sunrise and sunset skies from there as well when the weather is kind. 

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

all the way up to Wroxham this morning only to find the bridge pilot no longer takes private boats through.

Reading on, it does sound like you talked to the pilot. 

BUt on the chance that all you did was read the sign, (which does say they don’t), it’s worth ringing the pilot as I was assured last year that they will take private boats through for £15 return, and I availed myself of this service three times altogether before deciding I could manage on my own. 

Kpnut you Women are brave as to going under Wroxham Bridge and learning from other people to do that as like other women such as  Airline Pilots and going into Space there is no limits on what you women can do now while we men are behind the Kitchen Sink now. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Reading on, it does sound like you talked to the pilot. 

BUt on the chance that all you did was read the sign, (which does say they don’t), it’s worth ringing the pilot as I was assured last year that they will take private boats through for £15 return, and I availed myself of this service three times altogether before deciding I could manage on my own. 

Yes, we talked to the pilot. Sounds like it's a very recent change. Even before the pilots started accepting 'private boats' they had an agreement with BCBM, our former management company. It would be interesting to know whether that agreement still applies to the two broads boats that are still managed by them. 

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Kpnut you Women are brave as to going under Wroxham Bridge and learning from other people to do that as like other women such as  Airline Pilots and going into Space there is no limits on what you women can do now while we men are behind the Kitchen Sink now. 

Never had any worries with Wroxham Bridge in WR!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Yes, we talked to the pilot. Sounds like it's a very recent change. Even before the pilots started accepting 'private boats' they had an agreement with BCBM, our former management company. It would be interesting to know whether that agreement still applies to the two broads boats that are still managed by them. 

We haven’t been told otherwise….

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Left Fleet Dyke sometime after 7 this morning. Just arrived at Stokesby. Tide supposed to have turned about quarter of an hour ago but is still flowing out strongly. 

We never understand the tide at Stokesby. It’s never doing what we think it’s supposed to be doing! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lulu said:

We never understand the tide at Stokesby. It’s never doing what we think it’s supposed to be doing! 

I think I have it sussed out now, at least shortly after low water. Anywhere on the lower sections of the rivers have a tidal effect similar to that at the Gt Yarmouth Yacht Station, where the flow continues going out for about an hour after low water, hence slack water being an hour later than low water.

We were only visiting Stokesby for the shop but have had an unexpected bonus breakfast in the pub. Very nice it was too. 

• Like 1

The under tow effect. I think what happens in Yarmouth is that the incoming tide rises under the ebb so you get the odd effect of the river level rising while still ebbing.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the used to be an old river crossing at Stokesby which can affect the tidal flow but there again I could be wrong! Nontheless I always double check the tide when mooring there.

13 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The under tow effect. I think what happens in Yarmouth is that the incoming tide rises under the ebb so you get the odd effect of the river level rising while still ebbing.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the used to be an old river crossing at Stokesby which can affect the tidal flow but there again I could be wrong! Nontheless I always double check the tide when mooring there.

There is an old crossing at Stokesby, catches out yachts in the 3RRs as it the water is quite shallow by the old building.  If you look at the BA depth map you see a short spur from the footpath along the bank dead opposite where the crossing was.  I thought the crossing was more obvious but if you zoom in you can see it is shallower there

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/180737/DEPTH__Stokesby-Reach.pdf

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

It was a cattle swim, of which there were many in the old days.  The name can still be seen on the map further downstream, at Mautby Swim and Runham Swim.

The so called "horse water" in Thorpe was also a cattle swim which, before the railway was built,  connected the village of Thorpe on the north bank, to the Crown Point meadows on the south bank.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We were only visiting Stokesby for the shop but have had an unexpected bonus breakfast in the pub. Very nice it was too. 

Uh-oh!  Breakfast in the pub, followed (no doubt) by a large portion of cake and/or other goodies from the shop!  On the other hand, you only live once!

Very handily placed to overnight at Upton, too!  Sounds like a foodtastic day to me!

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

There was one occasion when we passed through Stokesby when I thought I could detect that old crossing. There was a disturbance in the water pretty much a straight line across the river near the pub. 

Maybe the water levels were lower that year or something. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Very handily placed to overnight at Upton, too!  Sounds like a foodtastic day to me!

We are saving Upton for when Harry is with us next week. It might be a handy overnight option after a late afternoon passage back north. 

Currently moored at Potter H. We think MS's water line badly needs a scrub and Graham thinks the deck brush on board isn't up to it...too soft. He's gone off to Latham's in search of a brush. 

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Currently moored at Potter H. We think MS's water line badly needs a scrub and Graham thinks the deck brush on board isn't up to it...too soft. He's gone off to Latham's in search of a brush. 

I've heard a number of chemicals suggested as being ideal for that purpose. The environmentalists won't be happy if I list them here, though.