Kingfisher Sightings

asthecrowflys

Hello All,

I want to shoot some Kingfishers, (camera/long lens, not air rifle!) Has anyone seen any? They are very allusive. May I ask everyone to post here where they have seen them please. I can access all of the North Broads with a trailable boat. 

If possible use What Three Words. This is a fantastic smart phone app that divides the whole world up in to 3m x 3m squares. If not, then just a very good description, location, which river bank etc. 

Thanks for your help.

♂_Common_Kingfisher_(Alcedo_atthis)_Photograph_By_Shantanu_Kuveskar,_Mangaon,_Maharashtra,_India.jpg

• Like 1

We had a kingfisher sitting on our pushpit rail yesterday evening in the marina at Stalham.  Wish I’d had my camera to hand,  then this morning we’ve spotted 3 on the way to Paddy’s Lane. Absolute rubbish photo but proof! 

2D6674B7-F1F5-4E14-A187-9DEA2F31262A.jpeg

• Like 2

I have seen them on the way from wroxham to coltishall, from Beccles up to geldeston, and inside the wet shed at richardsons, cheeky blighter was sat behind me not 4 foot away on the next boats pulpit rail, while I had the camera pointed the other way.

• Like 1

They're both cheeky and opportunistic too (see first pic)

I know that these pictures are very old, but the clarity of the water at WEST SOMERTON makes it a reliable place to find kingfishers.

As with anywhere though, incredible patience is needed to capture a decent picture of one.

z-Kingfisher.jpg

West Somerton.jpg

• Like 1

One encouraging aspect of this thread is the apparent healthy population of the Kingfisher. It was not so many years ago that the bird was a rarity, seldom seen.

Severe winters were held responsible and cold springs. Frozen rivers and dykes caused serious problems for the bird and the population plummeted. Now it seems global warming has favoured the species.

I wish the same could be said of some of our other birds. I have seen a dramatic decrease in so many of our common resident birds and visitors. Birds which I used to see on a regular basis, not only in my garden but in the fields that surround my house, fields of wheat, barley and sugar beet. Raptors play an important role, Marsh Harrier, Red Kite, Sparrow Hawk and Buzzard often seen, not in sufficient numbers to cause such a dramatic effect.

By the way, I live on the outskirts of Lingwood, Strumpshaw and its nature reserve. Very close, a few minutes walk from Strumpshaw Hill over looking the valley of the river Yare and a ten minute walk to the Buckenham Marshes.

Something is happening. What has happened. Where have they gone? and why have they gone?

We have seen changes in our garden population over the years too. Whether good or bad, I have no idea. We first moved here in 1986, to an area of Milton Keynes not that far from Willen Lake, and just beyond that, the M1. For the first few years we regularly had flocks of starlings descend upon us. Starlings are now a rarity. House sparrows are a regular feature, as are blue tits, etc. pigeons (some are very fat rascals). The new kids on our block are goldfinches, appeared about four years back and seem to be getting more numerous each year.