Mooring At Wroxham

PaulN

When we can't get under the bridge at Wroxham, is there anywhere to moor a private boat apart from Hotel Wroxham?

When we moored at at Oulton Broad a few weeks ago, the person next to us said they go into NBD Faircraft Loynes, however when I enquired there a couple of years ago they said they couldn't accept private craft due to insurance. Does anyone have an answer please?

Yes, it was Barnes, not sure if the two berthing spots were supposed to be FOC though.   Barnes do of course offer visiting boats day and overnight berthing but at a price

Wroxham is a very awkward place to berth a visiting boat nowadays, especially a private one if you can't get under the bridge, then berthing spots are extremely difficult to come by.  It puts a lot of people off visiting Wroxham by boat.  There are many hire craft that won't pass under Wroxham bridge nowadays too, they also struggle with getting a berth in the 'Busy Season'

Griff

• Like 1

I think I’m right in saying that the two public moorings BB had to offer were not in any specific place. The boatyard put you where they have room which means of course that they can always say they have no spaces. These moorings, any of the planning permission associated ones in fact, do not have to be free as far as I know. 

36 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Yes, it was Barnes, not sure if the two berthing spots were supposed to be FOC though.   Barnes do of course offer visiting boats day and overnight berthing but at a price

Wroxham is a very awkward place to berth a visiting boat nowadays, especially a private one if you can't get under the bridge, then berthing spots are extremely difficult to come by.  It puts a lot of people off visiting Wroxham by boat.  There are many hire craft that won't pass under Wroxham bridge nowadays too, they also struggle with getting a berth in the 'Busy Season'

Griff

I agree!  Even when we were there a couple of weeks ago (covered in my blog in the other section), we had to wait until a berth became free in the NBD basin and that wasn't even the busy season!

Chris

Thank you everyone for your contributions. Much appreciated. Such a shame there are no public moorings before the bridge. Our boat will fit under the bridge some times, but more often than not there has been insufficient clearance for our air draft over the last couple of years. 

Hi Kevin You re correct tie to hotel and pay tie to bridge side free although there is little to tie to,  one of my favourite safe mooring spots on a windy day sitting on rear of boat or on hotel chair with a pint looking at the free entertainment of  boats trying to get through bridge or moor to quay heading prier to bridging. John

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

I had a thought why can there be a few places to Moor up for Senior Citizens and just pay half of the Mooring fees proof of.O  I D will have to be shown though I think?

As a senior citizen myself I would suggest if you can afford a boat you can afford a mooring fee:default_coat:as moorings are at a premium and businesses are there to make a profit it would be a none starter only exception that might apply is if you only have half a boat.

Fred

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

I had a thought why can there be a few places to Moor up for Senior Citizens and just pay half of the Mooring fees proof of.O  I D will have to be shown though I think?

Young people seem to moan enough as it is about the ‘wealthy baby boomers’ what with annual fuel allowances and brilliant pensions :default_wink: that they reckon they pay for! Start giving us half price moorings for our gin palaces :default_rofl:and top end hire boats and they’ll be really unhappy. :facepalm:
Nice thought though Andrew, keep working on a solution to the problem.