Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

Nice to see the menu. The steak and ale suet pud sounds good.

This time of the year makes me hanker for the meals I had as a child. Today I went and bought some ingredients to make a Lobscows. I guess it’s the Anglesey version of Liverpool’s Scouse. Lamb, onions, carrots, swede, potatoes and pearl barley cooked in water (to make a broth), with dumplings added as a final touch. Use enough ingredients to last two meals, and the second day’s version (with fresh dumplings) is always better. 

59 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Lamb, onions, carrots, swede, potatoes and pearl barley cooked in water (to make a broth), with dumplings added as a final touch.

I have a book called ‘British cookery’ or something similar and that’s in there. I unfortunately can’t get away with anything with lamb in as Tony doesn’t like it. A shame seeing as it’s my favourite and I used to earn my living producing it! 

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

I have a book called ‘British cookery’ or something similar and that’s in there. I unfortunately can’t get away with anything with lamb in as Tony doesn’t like it. A shame seeing as it’s my favourite and I used to earn my living producing it! 

Actually, I would normally use beef, but the only stewing beef they had in Lidl today was a large pack that was over £6, so I thought a change to a probably more authentic Welsh version featuring cheaper lamb might be in order. Has anyone else noticed that the relative prices of different meats seems to be shifting?

Nothing new I suppose. When I was a child in the 60s we hardly had any chicken or salmon. They were ‘special’. I was watching a video earlier today that mentioned American New England lobster was so readily available in the 18th and 19th centuries it was considered a poor man’s dish. 

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

When I was a child in the 60s we hardly had any chicken or salmon. They were ‘special

The same here. Roast beef most Sundays with chicken as an occasional treat. Now it’s very much the other way round. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Unfortunately a boat has tripped the electricity hook-ups , grrrrrr, needs to be reset in the BA office on the staithe  have phoned the BA and unexpectedly they can’t sent anyone out today at all but “possibly tomorrow” , likelyhood of that ?

Glad it’s  not £10 tonight for the facilities .

Glad we chose Horning Staithe then   Lots of boats about staithe is full. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy said:

Will you still be mooring there when it’s £10 ? 

2 hours ago, Roy said:

Will you still be mooring there when it’s £10 ? 

we will tbh as I love it here especially with the bar b que in the summer , but not as often , plus when the Ranger asks me to move up I’ll be able to say that I’ve paid £10 for my space so I’d rather stay put 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

No Idea but if the Blessed Authority get their way I would imagine the same day that the over inflated inflation busting tolls come into force

Griff

I take it ‘blessed’ is a euphemism when used in that context? :default_eusa_dance: