Wroxham Bridge Height 16/10/21

750XL

Currently on board having a great holiday on a Herbert Woods bathtub. Plenty of fish, beer and food!

Sailed from Dilham to Wroxham today, excited to pass under Wroxham bridge for the first time...

We have an air draft of 6ft 5in so didn't think much of it - called the pilot as we approached the bridge and was told no can do, I'm not taking boats through today due to the water levels. Whoops.

Bit gutted as I'd been looking forward to exploring that end of the rivers for months! But hey ho...

Not sure if the levels will get better this week or not? 

5 minutes ago, 750XL said:

Currently on board having a great holiday on a Herbert Woods bathtub. Plenty of fish, beer and food!

Sailed from Dilham to Wroxham today, excited to pass under Wroxham bridge for the first time...

We have an air draft of 6ft 5in so didn't think much of it - called the pilot as we approached the bridge and was told no can do, I'm not taking boats through today due to the water levels. Whoops.

Bit gutted as I'd been looking forward to exploring that end of the rivers for months! But hey ho...

Not sure if the levels will get better this week or not? 

They’ve been high all week.  We have an airdraft of 8’ 3” and couldn’t get under Ludham bridge when we tried earlier this week and were high at Potter on Friday.

We noticed immediately how high the rivers were on 08/10 at the start of our lads week, they remained high all week and were still very much so yesterday.  Monday we got 'Trapped' between the two rail bridges at Thorpe despite sailing one and a half hours earlier than planned. At Wroxham Thursday low water gave an airdraft of only 6ft9" so both Jewels couldn't get under.  Friday 'B.A' squeezed through at 6ft3" (There was more as the gauge is wrong) then yesterday returning the Jewels to H.W's there was just 5ft3" at PHB

Griff

Does anyone have any insight on why the rivers are so high? I usually associate high river levels with strong easterlies or persistent/heavy rainfall in preceding days. Is it anything to do with atmospheric pressure (not that I've been looking at weather charts recently).

We may not have had easterlies but we have had northerlies until Sunday when it switched round to the south that kept the water high. The forecast for the rest of the week is south and west except for Thursday night Friday morning. So the levels should drop this week..

• Like 1

Just what I was going to say - northerlies and north westerlies up north above Scotland stop the water going out of the North Sea, causing blocking tides. Trying to predict Broadland tides is a bit like a panel of economic experts - everyone has a view and non may be right!!!!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I'd be interested to hear what the clearance is at Ludham and whether any Richardson's boats are having issues.

We needed 8ft on dazzling light last weekend and only just managed it. I'm sure the challengers etc are just as high. So no doubt they'll have some issues as the water levels appear much higher. 

• Like 1

I saw a photo show just 7’3” at Ludham yesterday.  That will restrict quite a lot of their fleet, even allowing for the discrepancy between advertised and actual clearance.  This being half term week for many, will impact a lot of hirers.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

I saw a photo show just 7’3” at Ludham yesterday.  That will restrict quite a lot of their fleet, even allowing for the discrepancy between advertised and actual clearance.  This being half term week for many, will impact a lot of hirers.

From what I've seen the boat yards still have every boat they have out - so can half term be any busier with hire boats?