For Those That Moor In Brundall

OldBerkshireBoy

Oh that's a sad end of an era. Always been my favourite pub on the Broads. I'm surprised it's just closing though. I would have thought it would have sold better as a going concern. Hope it reopens as a pub, and doesn't become part of someone's plan for a housing development. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Oh that's a sad end of an era. Always been my favourite pub on the Broads. I'm surprised it's just closing though. I would have thought it would have sold better as a going concern. Hope it reopens as a pub, and doesn't become part of someone's plan for a housing development. 

Housing would be unlikely as right on the edge of Flood Zone 3 with Railway  impleading escape routes?

8 hours ago, Trembler said:

If the Yare pub goes it will make the decision to have left Brundall even easier

I fear that is probably fair comment.  There is no passing trade from the river for the Yare, as there is at Surlingham, since there is nowhere left for passing boats to moor.  Brooms will let you stop if you ask, after a pumpout, but that is about it. The riverside stores is long closed and the walk to the shops in the town is strictly for the young and fit!

It is another place which used to be a bustling boating centre, until the hire boatyards closed.  They are replaced by private marina moorings but do they bring enough trade to support a pub?  Maybe not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

They are replaced by private marina moorings but do they bring enough trade to support a pub?  Maybe not.

We have been in the Yare many times and we have always found it to have lots of trade and although a large pub, bookings are recommended if you wanted to eat in the evening

It not only attracts a gang of regulars, it attracts boaters, holiday makers, tradespersons, passing trade from the railway station, both for those waiting for a train and those coming off and on match days it's a regular drop off prior to the match and pick up point after Norwich City have played

Fingers crossed it is quickly snapped up and back as a thriving business

• Like 3

Good heavens, what ever will "the last of the summer wine" do!? Three old boys who seemed to live at the end of the bar where you walked in. For me, they helped create a friendly atmosphere just by being there.

I hope the new owners get rid of that chuffing step which always catches me out! 

It'll be funny to see it without a desk full of paperwork.

Lovely pub but apart from anything else I think Michael and Paul deserve a decent retirement.

I can see apartments being built in that area in the future but they would have little appeal without a pub that side of the railway. I could see it going the way of Windermere Marina Village if the investment was there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Think they were both there 40 odd years.I just hope who ever buys the pub doesn't  spoil the character of the pub.Perhaps a few up dates on the menu!

An updated menu woild be nice plus get rid of all that spider sanctury stuff on the ceiling that would be a huge improvement.

Carole

Guest Trembler
1 hour ago, addicted said:

An updated menu woild be nice plus get rid of all that spider sanctury stuff on the ceiling that would be a huge improvement.

What? That is all that keeps the rain off of your head whilst indoors :default_biggrin:

G

On 13/11/2021 at 21:39, Bytheriver said:

Housing would be unlikely as right on the edge of Flood Zone 3 with Railway  impleading escape routes?

But it just needs a bridge.

And for the sort of money you can make out of a luxury marina / housing development on the Broom site, a Bridge isn't going to cost that much.

I don't want it to happen, but I suspect it's inevitable.

• Like 1

Lets hope it remains as a pub. We have been there quite a few times, although only twice this year and have always found the food good.

However, reading the comments above, is it just me? I've never received a smile or a welcome from the landlord, nor any encouragement to want to come more often. Also I could never understand having an office consisting of a load of paperwork spread across a long table in the bar seating area, looked such a mess and of of place.

As I said, hope it remains as a pub, plenty of scope to improve in my opinion and lets hope that shallow step goes too!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, addicted said:

No it's  not just you - it's the ethos of The  Yare and as a new customer it takes some getting used to. But it's still the best pub on the Broads for all that.

Carole

I always felt like they were doing me a massive favour allowing me to spend my money with them. 
Never met more miserable bar staff.