For Those That Moor In Brundall

OldBerkshireBoy

5 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Well they do display the forum logo in the window beside the front doors (were they once a sponsor?) and there are two large cards collecting signatures from well wishers being passed around so I might be able to add to "From NBN" if a moderator gives me the thumbs up.

Please do :91_thumbsup:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

John?

John the Baptist,  Little John of Sherwood forest perhaps, both before my time I'm afraid. 

I didn't realise it was that long ago.

His forum name is actually Hockham Admiral and he became chief moderator after the sad passing of Broadscot until the big changes to forum admin and ownership a few years ago. He was also the organiser of all the forum meets, of which there were sometimes three a year.

He did a great deal for the forum behind the scenes and is much liked by those who remember him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 15/11/2021 at 23:05, DAVIDH said:

Best 8oz burger and battered chicken pieces on the Broads. Just like the demise of the steak pie at the Ship Inn at Reedham, I will miss them. 

Was just talking food with the Landlady & Chef at The Ship & I mentioned your remark & apparently one of the long time regulars has commented recently the Steak Pie was the "best yet"

Not tried it myself yet but will next time!:default_icon_e_smile:

• Like 2

On 21/11/2021 at 07:54, Vaughan said:

I didn't realise it was that long ago.

His forum name is actually Hockham Admiral and he became chief moderator after the sad passing of Broadscot until the big changes to forum admin and ownership a few years ago. He was also the organiser of all the forum meets, of which there were sometimes three a year.

He did a great deal for the forum behind the scenes and is much liked by those who remember him.

John did indeed do a LOT of work for NBN and it's a shame not to see him here more often.

He was also very good at handing out window stickers and beer mats (we had the idea of getting a massive run of NBN-branded beer mats printed to give away) to the pubs and selling flags etc to anyone he happened to meet.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Helian said:

Good news if true. But I suspect the real purpose would be the long term benefit of owning both sites together, both physically and financially (so-called marriage value).

I suspect that the long term aim will be to demolish the pub to make way for a clubhouse to be part of the development of riverside apartments with adjacent moorings.  My opinion obviously, but I can’t  see any other reason for Broom to get into the hospitality market.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I suspect that the long term aim will be to demolish the pub to make way for a clubhouse to be part of the development of riverside apartments with adjacent moorings.  My opinion obviously, but I can’t  see any other reason for Broom to get into the hospitality market.

Yes, I was thinking that after awhile Broom will say it isn't viable as a pub and seek to use the land for another purpose. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Yes, I was thinking that after awhile Broom will say it isn't viable as a pub and seek to use the land for another purpose. 

I understand that there’s a covenant on the pub, however rebuilding it with a new development would probably satisfy relevant authorities, obviously accompanied by a little brown envelope, should it prove helpful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

My understanding is that the covenant is in place that the building remains a pub. 

I’m sure that a good legal team and a few quid thrown in the right direction could facilitate a change in the terms of the covenant to allow redevelopment to a shiny new drinking establishment that would fit in more favourably with future changes to the site.

1135F8C9-328C-4289-AA45-88BB5AD213D2.jpeg

• Like 2

I can see why people would want it to remain a pub but it'll never have the same atmosphere unless the same or similar people run it. The building itself isn't much to write home about anyway with old extensions here and there. Far better to say there should be a pub there (not an exclusive to mega yacht owners restaurant) in some form or other.

Edit: Modern houses are now built with retro characteristics so no reason at all why a new build of the Yare should not have the same. Doesn't have to look like something out of Grand Designs.

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

I can see why people would want it to remain a pub but it'll never have the same atmosphere unless the same or similar people run it. The building itself isn't much to write home about anyway with old extensions here and there. Far better to say there should be a pub there (not an exclusive to mega yacht owners restaurant) in some form or other.

Edit: Modern houses are now built with retro characteristics so no reason at all why a new build of the Yare should not have the same. Doesn't have to look like something out of Grand Designs.

Got to be joking. The most miserable landlord I've ever come across. Been there several times, as food was OK, but never received a welcome or a  smile.

• Confused 1