For Those That Moor In Brundall

OldBerkshireBoy

8 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Some of the old country restaurants still do but they are normally separate now. . . .

Must be a quite recent development then.  We stayed overnight at a Campanile hotel in Troyes in 2007, on our way to the Ardeche.  It was my first road trip through France and I was quite surprised standing at the urinal in the toilet by the reception as a lady walked in behind me and went into the sit down.  I did check the door as I left and sure enough, it was a male/female loo.

Over the next ten years or so, we found it quite commonplace whilst on holiday in France and to be honest, one often finds cleaners (toilet domestic engineers, or whatever their hip and trendy name is now) of the opposite sex in public loos over here now.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, grendel said:

i can remember walking past a low brick wall with half a dozen gents standing behind it, right out in the town square.

There is one in central London next to Vauxhall Tube and mainline station

I have walked past it many times.

Never had to use it yet!!

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/disgusting-public-urinal-outside-vauxhall-19590669.amp

Back in the 50s while travellinmg through France headingSouth by road, we stopped off for lunch at a restraurant. Traveliing with my parents and myself were  a couple who, were friends of my parents.   After lunch the wife decided she wanted to use the toilet and  being a little wary asked me to go with her. We were directed to a  sentry box sized shed in the yard at the rear.  Inside was something resembling a butler sink  set into the ground with two footplate areas designed  to stand on on either side. A rope was looped hanging over the whole thing to hang on while using it. I waited outside while she  was using it and then she pulled the chain. a mighty roar erupted and she came flying out closely followed by a gush of water. Travelling abroad in those days was a real adventure.

Carole

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, addicted said:

. . . . . Inside was something resembling a butler sink  set into the ground with two footplate areas designed  to stand on on either side. A rope was looped hanging over the whole thing to hang on while using it. . . . .

Nice!  A traditional French toilet.  Obviously designed to encourage the user not to linger longer than necessary.   There’s still plenty of those around in the areas that we spent our holidays over there:  The Dordogne, Ardeche, Tarn and Verdon.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 29/03/2022 at 20:44, floydraser said:

It says the pub will be renamed - any suggestions?

walking down the hill towards the railway crossing i spotted a planning notice on one of the posts regarding the  YARE pub,   it is going to be renamed THE WHITE HERON,  

29 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Which sometimes migrate to the south of France from Africa, but I have never seen one in Norfolk.

Over here in Leicester we have the National Space Centre and Richard III. If it brings in the punters and it's not bolted down, someone will nab it! :default_smiley-angelic002:

I assume by White Heron they actually mean the Egret. 

The Little Egret:-

20220613_124002.thumb.jpg.44f6aa33debaaf31115a279773446fd3.jpg

is widely distributed all over Norfolk and Suffolk along with The Broads.

The Great Egret:-

20220613_124020.thumb.jpg.d748a0d74f4fa6df7da60fdffaca0fb3.jpg

Is no longer considered a rare visitor and can be seen regularly in Norfolk. It started breeding at Holkham in 2017, fifteen years after the Little Egret who now number over 50 breeding pairs

There is also The Spoonbill which started to breed again norfolk in 2010. Stiil rare but work is ongoing to improve their habitat in North Norfolk.

This one was at Holmes Dunes.

273470251_Spoonbill-Liz-Dack-NWT-Holme-Dunes-28-July-2011-(Small).JPG.bf103d2d8683dc241b464b05b156f542.JPG

And flying over Cley

1008204555_Spoonbill-flying-early-morning-Elizabeth-Dack-NWT-Cley-Marshes-30-March-2022.JPG.f728956dc8572d043a92cc45c2209d54.JPG

19 minutes ago, annv said:

I just cant see the reason/sense in changing the name from the Yare to White Heron it's not as if it had a bad reputation as the Yare, John 

For visitors who come to The Broads once a year, who perhaps weren’t big fans of the pub as it was and maybe  wouldn’t bother to visit a revamped establishment with the same name,  a change is indicative that alterations have been made.

There’s clearly been a significant investment  made and Broom will be looking at a return.  Looking at their buildings and even on their website, the White Heron appears to have been adopted as their logo, so links the pub to their ownership.

C66A5613-CEA9-4B52-8F65-9A3824C055D8.jpeg

13 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Brooms has a history of using the name 'The White Heron'. I came across this...

https://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/2934/white-heron

This is pretty much how I understood the pub`s new name to come about.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Style_Details&style=BmCom2-H .

• 2 weeks later...