For Those That Moor In Brundall

OldBerkshireBoy

36 minutes ago, PaulN said:

Got to be joking. The most miserable landlord I've ever come across. Been there several times, as food was OK, but never received a welcome or a  smile

We always had a warm welcome and loved the quirkiness of the place, the pub grub was very reasonably priced and not Michelin star standard but tasty and plentiful

The clientele were great also and every time we visited someone new or an old face would engage in conversation

It was the type of place you could visit as a family, as a gang of mates or alone and not feel out of place

Our kind of pub! 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

Got to be joking. The most miserable landlord I've ever come across. Been there several times, as food was OK, but never received a welcome or a  smile.

I quite understand that. As we've discussed on other threads, it seemed to depend on how it went on your first visit. 

We've used the Yare for well over 30 years. We're not  that easily pleased so that must say something in it's favour. We spent a season moored on the Northern Broads and  try as  might  we never found a pub we enjoyed using anything like as  much as the Yare. O.k. Paul didn't fall over himself to make you welcome, But some of the staff certailnly did. and once you got to know Paul he was very helpful and obliging. If it doesn't return in a fairly similar form it will be greatly missed. The only thing I wouldn't miss is the horrible fencing panels that concealed the ceiling and  also the loos could do with a bit of a face lift too.

Carole

• Like 2

14 hours ago, addicted said:

The only thing I wouldn't miss is the horrible fencing panels that concealed the ceiling and  also the loos could do with a bit of a face lift too.

Agreed. I think those points could also indicate the general state of the building's maintenance though. Any alterations would have to conform to the latest building regs and cause the costs to rocket upwards. That said, a good clean and re-decoration should have it in a fit state to open.

• Like 1

Of  all the Broads pubs, this is the one I would miss the most if it didn't reopen. And as has been said, who's to say the ambiance, vibe or whatever the current term is, will be the same. We first visited in 1973, and always went back when on holiday. As a lone sailor now, I agree that I never felt like a sore thumb in the place, sat on my own. The waiting staff were always delightful too. I recall a short TV series from the 80s I think, following a guy who owned one of the gin palaces moored at Brooms. He was a bailiff of all things. They followed him around, (bit like the C4 programme Won't Pay, We'll Take it Away) and often he would end up in the Yare at the end of the day. It all looked a very lavish lifestyle back then.

• Like 3

I've never been in the pub, but any loss of riverside facilities,pubs, restaurants etc can never be a good thing. Especially on the southern rivers. Going to a pub is like going to watch a football match, no two people will agree on what they just seen or experienced. Personally from what I remember of Brundall, the whole brooms site would suit a posh marina development,the pub could be retained as a restaurant/ pub and it would fit in with the local area. Plenty of room to retain the hire fleet as well. 

2 minutes ago, andyg said:

I've never been in the pub, but any loss of riverside facilities,pubs, restaurants etc can never be a good thing. Especially on the southern rivers. Going to a pub is like going to watch a football match, no two people will agree on what they just seen or experienced. Personally from what I remember of Brundall, the whole brooms site would suit a posh marina development,the pub could be retained as a restaurant/ pub and it would fit in with the local area. Plenty of room to retain the hire fleet as well. 

It is very close to several marinas, including Clive's 'new' Cove Marina. If the Yare re-opens and you fancy calling in, you can always call Paul  at Swancraft (Shadow Boats) who has visitor moorings as well as full marina facilities, only a very short walk away from the Yare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to wonder if  the close proximity of the railway line would impact on the desirability of  an upmarket development or marina.  Personally I wouldn't want to moor that close to it never mind live there.  Having moored for many years in a marina where a railway ran around the perimeter I know from first hand the nuisance the resulting smuts and noise can be. The former taking its toll on the boat canopy big time!

Carole

14 minutes ago, addicted said:

Having moored for many years in a marina where a railway ran around the perimeter I know from first hand the nuisance the resulting smuts and noise can be.

They don't use steam trains any more Carole. :default_icon_twisted::default_hiding:  (oh yes it's norfolk, they may do)

Bearing in mind there is already lots of marinas that side of the line doing fine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, addicted said:

I have to wonder if  the close proximity of the railway line would impact on the desirability of  an upmarket development or marina.  Personally I wouldn't want to moor that close to it never mind live there.  Having moored for many years in a marina where a railway ran around the perimeter I know from first hand the nuisance the resulting smuts and noise can be. The former taking its toll on the boat canopy big time!

A riverside apartment with an adjacent mooring would surely prove very tempting for many.  Look at the riverside developments as you enter Norwich on the river, near to railway lines, a football stadium, a derelict Coleman’s fact with an uncertain future and so on.  There seem to have been no shortage of folk keen to occupy those and I’m sure that the proximity of the railway wouldn’t put off the majority of potential purchasers.

We more at Swancraft in Brundall and hardly notice the noise of the trains.  The same must be true for people who buy houses close to main roads, too.  Just look at the new builds that can be seen to the sides of the A11 at Red Lodge, Attleborough etc.  The same is true for many other locations all over the country, alongside motorways and other major trunk roads.

3 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Thought the trains were mostly electric with the odd diesel freight train now and then plus isn`t it all non residental.

I think you may find they are Diesel/Electric but at around 100 to 120 trains per day passing through the station every day it can be noisy, we often hear the trains well into the night from our moorings half way to the river.

Is there really 100+ trains a day ?? I'm surprised. We use to live directly behind a very busy line. The southend to fenchurch st line. You'd be surprised how quickly you get use to the noise. I'm not so sure modern day diesel trains pollute as much as the old dmu that use to trundle through there did. All that said I don't think any developer would have a problem selling apartments in that location. 

I used to love the old diesel train noise when I first moved to BGM 3 years ago but now they've changed them for more modern, quieter ones. I don't remember hearing them through the night, I thought they packed up at around 22.30?

The danger may come from potential development of the port at Gt Yarmouth or other industry, which could mean traffic through the night.

The three and a bit car sets running at the moment are bimode electric trains with the short section being a diesel generator. As there isn't any catenary on the lines east of Norwich, these generators supply electricity to the traction motors so in effect they are diesel trains.

When the train is on a route under the wires they become electric trains. Manufacturers are working on the possibility of replacing the generator section with a battery section but that would need the trains to run under the wires for a proportion of their journey to charge the batteries. This system is probably some time off as trial trains at the moment have a limit of about 70 miles on battery power.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

This noise? 

We’ll that wasn’t one of their new fleet. We quite often stay on our home mooring at Brooms, especially out of season. We don’t find the train noise intrusive and they don’t seem to run after about 10 or 11 and don’t start up again until the morning. Sorry if that been a bit lacking in precision, but if you’ve read my moans about how early the Norwich rowers get going in the mornings, and how precise I’ve been about the time they have woken us up, you’ll get the idea about how little the trains bother us. 

• Like 2

There are usually 84 trains a day M-F but currently on Sunday service which is about 64 a day plus the odd stock move The new Flirt trains are quiet quiet compared with older type units which had the engines slung under the bodies You can walk through the engine sections without being deafened by the 3 or 4 Transit type engines.

13 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We’ll that wasn’t one of their new fleet. We quite often stay on our home mooring at Brooms, especially out of season. We don’t find the train noise intrusive and they don’t seem to run after about 10 or 11 and don’t start up again until the morning. Sorry if that been a bit lacking in precision, but if you’ve read my moans about how early the Norwich rowers get going in the mornings, and how precise I’ve been about the time they have woken us up, you’ll get the idea about how little the trains bother us. 

Despite the noisy old former main line engines the carriages were extremely comfortable They were a hired in stop-gap when the new units were late  The old DMUs where whisked off to Wales as soon as the Flirts all arrived. I suspect pollution halved around Norwich Station when the Class 37s finally went