Did Anyone Watch On Tv..............?

LizG

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/extraordinary-escapes-with-sandi-toksvig

Well I watched about 10 minutes of episode two before giving up!

Within a few seconds the dreaded word was used (at this point I screamed in anger and the cats all freaked out!)

Then they visited the famous windmill and cottage that has had all the character removed..........

The only things I noted were that the sails on the windmill could turn and once inside the cottage, the way the windows and mirrors have been constructed make the views stunning but otherwise.................

Liz

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It left me quite underwhelmed.   The first part from Wayford Bridge ending up at the holiday home.   The way the property has been altered has taken away the lovely cottage that stood there for many many years , a proper chocolate box scene especially when the Wisteria was in bloom.    All too Homes and Gardens for me.    I would put money on it was built with Americans in mind.    I thought to turn a wind mill had to have sails.

The other properties were just the same.   It is ok having a holiday home off the beaten track but you have to get your gear and food etc (sadly lacking to be shown in these programmes) there.     The presenters dont even carry as much as a handbag.   it is all so false.    We are not all as mobile as we used to be, far from it.

• Like 1

I’ve only watched the first bit so far but am enjoying it. Loved seeing the windmill’s sails turning.

I probably have a different view of Hunsett Mill from those of my generation who cruised the Broads as children, as we only discovered the Broads relatively recently. What I mean is…I don’t have fond memories of what it used to look like.  For me, the photos of Hunsett mill from the 60’s/70s look like a kitschy restoration of an older cottage, at least on the outside. It was the typical ‘chocolate box’ cottage of the time, which was a 60s-take on what was traditional, not necessarily authentic though.  So, on that basis, I don’t think the latest version is any worse.

I quite like the format of the programme too. It’s a twist on the old celebrity interview, rather than being primarily about the place.

• Like 5

I will remind you, Hylander, that the bit of the cottage demolished was not at all original as others have suggested, and  that bit was added at a much later date - the brick bit remaining is the original and is very similar to Toad Hall Cottage and whilst a family used to live in that, I would struggle to live in it today! And others too these days! There is a track down to it all.

I accept the new addition is a bit like Marmite but I like the mix of very old and very new - without the latter I suspect no one would have bought it nor could live in it, and part of the original deal was to restore the wind pump and rebuild the boat shed as well (which was done) - without the extension methinks it would all have become all a bit dilapidated by now and looking sorry for itself. I haven't seen it lately but it did have sails - perhaps they have been taken off for a reason.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Polly said:

Maybe I got the wrong one, ten minutes of Sarah Millican hyping was too much. I will look again later with a fast forward option.

That sounds like episode 1, episode 2 is the one they are talking about with Sunetra Sarker. Personally I rather like the series.

I get that in the modern world, the cottage in its previous form was too small to be practical, but in my opinion, the biggest problem with the renovation is the choice of windows.  Maybe if the ones in the original part of the building had been treated more sympathetically, instead of single panes of mirrored glass, it could have looked more in keeping than it does now.  As they are now, to me at least, it looks like staring into the eyes of a corpse.  Soulless.

36F9C871-507D-4314-BE95-E351CBDA596E.jpeg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Some colour in the garden would not go amiss.

The garden is much better now it has matured it was bleak when originally laid out and of course different to when someone lived there full time, holiday lets have to be low maintenance as no doubt someone comes to cut the grass & tidy up but that's all - no time to tie up the Dahlias as in the past. 

People new to letting soon find out how difficult it is to keep gardens looking good - this one was sort of ahead of its time for low maintenance & it was good to see some colour for late in the season. 

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I get that in the modern world, the cottage in its previous form was too small to be practical, but in my opinion, the biggest problem with the renovation is the choice of windows.  Maybe if the ones in the original part of the building had been treated more sympathetically, instead of single panes of mirrored glass, it could have looked more in keeping than it does now.  As they are now, to me at least, it looks like staring into the eyes of a corpse.  Soulless.

36F9C871-507D-4314-BE95-E351CBDA596E.jpeg

Just watched it ,

absolutely stunning property , which, imho , shows just how talented some architects can be , retaining the old structure and adapting and adding contemporary .

No different to the utilising of St Benêts gatehouse into the mill that stood there , you need deep pockets if you want to stay there though (Hunsett) , £4250 a week high season (sleeps 9).

Without such radical modernisation many of this type of property would have simply have been abandoned and fallen into such a state that they would either become ruins or be demolished .

I can see what you mean about the windows on the original elevation , but I can also understand the owners not wishing to be in a goldfish bowl , I regard the mirror windows as a modern option replacing the net curtains of old 

• Like 2

Thanks for this thread, we have now started watching the series. These relaxed "travelogue" type programs make easy viewing. We are also enjoying Gareth and Maureen Edwards' show too. And Portillo.

But there is a pattern emerging: We started watching the Edwards and wondered how long before we get to see a Forrager. Then a sea rescue. Then someone who spent years working the city before moving away from the rat race to chip away at bits of wood to make expensive tat for tourists. Or is it just me?

To be fair, the Edwards have so far shown us some places we would probably like to visit, although the trailers show Maureen driving a sea rescue boat.... :default_eusa_naughty: