Pubs You Miss

Broads01

22 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Which "dear departed" Broadland pub do you miss?

For me it's the Berney Arms. I have happy memories of it's unique location, sat out on the picnic benches and admiring the view across Breydon.

Ditto!

I also have very fond memories sitting outside with my parents, a shandy and a packet of crisps just looking at the view and watching the boats coming and going. I loved mooring over night there too, it had a kind of eeriness about it in a good way. I'd lie awake listening to the sounds for hours, so loved it there x

• Like 4

Bridge Inn at Potter. Always bustling with happy holiday makers in season and a good local crowd too with some living on their boats and others a stroll away from a shed on the riverbank. Broadshaven seemed to do more trade when there was competition directly opposite, and the cringles was still going then too, plus you had and still have the Falgate. I’m too young but I wonder what it was like when you had the Railway as well, that would have knitted in as my last call on the way back to Hickling the back road way! On my push bike.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Railway Tavern at Reedham was an excellent pub and quite an oasis for real ale back in the day. 

Wasn’t it just, remember going one September when they held the beer festival there, just as well as the weather wouldn’t have cut it on the quay.

A bunch of work colleagues used to ride out on the train from Norwich at my instigation as a ‘warm up’ for the Norwich beer festival the month following which I’ve never actually attended, they’d always forgotten by the following year though when the email went round!

• Like 1

The Berney Arms was so much more than just a pub, it was a destination. It perfectly broke the journey from South to North, and vice versa. It also had real characters both behind the bar and as customers. With Chris and later John and Tracy at the helm it was a lifestyle choice and it showed. They attracted a regular clientele that appreciated it's unique location and atmosphere that I fear will never be seen in Broadland again. 

If the numbers ever came up, then I'd love to try and put The Berney back on the map again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I miss greatly The Barton Angler , and also The Bell , Salhouse 

Had a bit of a love hate relationship with The Barton Angler.

It was about as far as our Second and only wooden boat would go for many a long time before it's petrol engine would pack up. 😳

It had only come from what is now known as Broadsedge 😳

So loved it as far as at least we had made a mooring with a pub nearby,😁 and hated it as I knew I had to get intimate with plugs points etc. 😫

Took a while but got there in the end and it did make the trip to Norwich on more than one occasion 👍

Re Berney, as a teenager in August 1986 my parents took us southwards over Breydon late in the day and we were hoping to moor at Berney around 7pm. That long mooring was absolutely full and we had to carry on and with Reedham being full as well finished up near the bottom of the Chet on a wild mooring which has long since overgrown.

Great to hear about some other pubs which I think were before my time. I'll look up where exactly they were. I know where the Bridge Inn at Potter was though because from photos of the time it used to dominate the view of the bridge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heron said:

If memory serves me well the Eagle had bank notes from all over the world pasted to the ceiling. Got a shock one year when it was no more, shame.

I must have been in there as that kind of rings a bell. 

I remember thinking there must be folk who go in here from " The Oil Patch" as I recognised a lot of the notes and a lot of The Oil Patch was not anywhere anyone would like to go as a tourist.

Anyone remember the WOOD FARM INN now the site of the Wayford Bridge Hotel at Wayford Bridge. Very old pub with a good atmosphere but now unrecognisable. Wayford Bridge Hotel lacks the atmosphere but having recovered form the Marco Pierre White days, provides good food and drink at reasonable prices. It is a shame that the moorings on the opposite bank of the Ant can no longer be used, they were always very popular but now sadly lost.

• Like 4

Could not agree more, but re. the moorings, there was an opportunity for the BA but I suppose they would have wanted to install fancy quay heading rater than natural grass bank that most of us would probably prefer. Now it is just a wasted resource.

• Like 2