Pubs You Miss

Broads01

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I would rather see a small menu than a large one that can’t possibly all be cooked fresh every time. 

Totally agree Jean and just for the record that last item on the list in my last post is not meant to be desert as in sand but dessert as in the ice cream kind :facepalm: x

• Haha 2

I understand its early days.However many pubs now seem to relay on burgers and ribs. Menus can be varied and small.

I'm more then happy to offer my advice.If they so wish.I have worked for a few years.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I would rather see a small menu than a large one that can’t possibly all be cooked fresh every time. 

I agree that a good thing about ham egg and chips, or a burger, is that you know it has to be cooked fresh to order, so you can be reasonably confident.  But this not Cyprus, where you can't even drink the water!

I just wonder what ever happened to good old plain home cooking?  What about cottage pie?  Steak and kidney pud?  Beef stew with Norfolk dumplings?  Fish pie?  Surely that is not difficult?  If you didn't want to prepare the "seasonal vegetables" they can always come from London in a fridge lorry.  No problem with that! 

I remember how popular the Buck in Thorpe was in the 80s, when Patsy's cooking was just as I describe.  Business people used to come out from Norwich at lunchtime, park in the Rushcutters car park and then walk down the Green to the Buck to have lunch with Patsy!

I am sorry but I feel that the launch of an entirely new pub business should be able to show something better than chips and peas with everything.  It would certainly not attract me away from a nice lunch on Surlingham Broad on a mud weight.

• Like 5

Yes dogs are allowed in the White Heron. As Mouldy says there are visitors mooring available. Brooms have cleared all the boats from the mooring next to the road, thus providing approx 20 berths for visitors. However, not sure about overnight stays!

2 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Er, I started this thread to discuss pubs you miss and there's been some really good posts on that. I recall there was a recent thread about the White Heron - please can the mods shift the content over.

Oops, quite correct. Excuse us!

• Haha 1

But you are ALL assuming that their customers will be just like you!!!! But they might not be!!! Whilst I take Vaughan's view, we are talking about todays customers, not those of 40 years ago, and tastes and expectations do change. Whilst I know what steak and kidney pud is, a pub today would only have limited sales I suspect. Andrew - do you like your chicken in a basket?

Whilst I don't go to 'spoons that often, I would bet that at least half of those eating will be having burgers - you do have to cater for what you believe would sell!!

• Like 3

Which comes first  - the chicken or the egg.! Do customer order burgers because that is  their preference or is it because for the most part that is all that is on offer? If, as has been said,  the chef at the White  Heron worked at the Cantley Cock then he is undoubtedly able to produce more adventurous food than is on the White  Heron menu,  if the meals we have enjoyed at the Catley Cock   over recent years are anything  to go by.

Carole

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, marshman said:

But you are ALL assuming that their customers will be just like you!!!! But they might not be!!! Whilst I take Vaughan's view, we are talking about todays customers, not those of 40 years ago, and tastes and expectations do change. Whilst I know what steak and kidney pud is, a pub today would only have limited sales I suspect. Andrew - do you like your chicken in a basket?

Whilst I don't go to 'spoons that often, I would bet that at least half of those eating will be having burgers - you do have to cater for what you believe would sell!!

Actually I quite agree with this!  I am obviously what a certain lady from the BA once called "the wrong kind of customer".

All the same I am not attracted to go ashore and spend money on an "evening out", when the menu on offer can easily be cooked on any  hire boat, with ingredients from a certain supermarket in Stalham.

I would rather sit with my wife in the tranquility of Rockland Broad and watch the sunset as we enjoy our supper.

100_3387.thumb.jpg.6c0438bb2b0455b3299c0f99120e94fb.jpg

100_3390.thumb.jpg.0661eab0826bfa6ef770bd90096a6505.jpg

100_3397.thumb.jpg.b29c24ebf4aa3d701196eb293f5d75a0.jpg

• Like 5

I know exactly why - people no longer go out, let alone eat out!! When did anyone here last go to the cinema - to which the cry will go up "It's all a load of rubbish" - yup but we still went out and watched it!!! One can hardly call it expensive either!!!

Covid has a lot to answer for and it continues to change habits and expectations in the pub trade - notice how menus have shrunk??? I was out last night in the city - although the pub was full earlier by around 10 it was nearly empty. Restaurants now open earlier - and close earlier! What is a young chap like me meant to do - blowed if I am staying in but I can hardly waste away my time listening to a band! There are very very few of them left either.:default_sad:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

All the same I am not attracted to go ashore and spend money on an "evening out", when the menu on offer can easily be cooked on any  hire boat, with ingredients from a certain supermarket in Stalham.

Agree…when we eat out we appreciate having something different, a bit more ‘cheffy’  and not something I would cook at home. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, addicted said:

Which comes first  - the chicken or the egg.! Do customer order burgers because that is  their preference or is it because for the most part that is all that is on offer? If, as has been said,  the chef at the White  Heron worked at the Cantley Cock then he is undoubtedly able to produce more adventurous food than is on the White  Heron menu,  if the meals we have enjoyed at the Catley Cock   over recent years are anything  to go by.

Carole

Sorry Simon - thread drift alert.  Is it not possible that the current limited menu has been introduced to test the water.  After all, who in their right minds would fill a fridge with ingredients for a complex menu at this stage of the year, with limited custom and people still probably counting the cost of Christmas and facing huge energy bills.

Maybe, as the season progresses and more visitors appear, other dishes may be introduced, however, as has been said already, the pandemic has been responsible for other more established pubs to restrict their menus to be fair, so this could be a sign of the times.

We visited a long established hostelry near a very popular mooring at  location that may soon be subject to an overnight mooring fee (no names, no TOS infringements) for some bar snack type lunches in November.  They were only providing full meals at quite high prices at the time, so we wandered to the nearby church and made do with coffee and cake in their visitor centre instead.  I understand that the same establishment is only opening two days a week currently, so surely that’s indicative of tough times and a need for prudence.

• Like 3

On 04/01/2023 at 16:03, Vaughan said:

The Buck in Thorpe was a Morgans pub in the 50s.  Youngs and Crawshays had a large brewery in King St., in the old port of Norwich.  They were more well known for bottled beers, especially their pale ale.

I remember the Buck in the 70s when a blind man used to play the piano in the bar on a Saturday night. The same man also played in the Ship at Reedham. 

• Like 1

Not exactly a pub I miss, but one whose popularity has waned somewhat over the past few years.  This photo was taken in May 1995, when we went to The Broads with mum and dad.  We found the picture whilst going through some of the many photo albums they accumulated over the years.  We do not have the space to keep much of the 'stuff' they hoarded and going through their possessions is sometimes difficult, but stumbling across things like this does remind us of good times and makes an onerous task a little easier. 

It was on the additional moorings at Reedham Ferry, which have now fallen into a state of acute disrepair.  We haven't been into the pub for many years and really cannot say what it's like now, other than it used to be one of our favorites - always busy and a lottery whether you got a mooring or not.

Reedham Ferry.jpg

• Like 6

I very much doubt we shall ever see the reopening of the Burney Arms. The building is now in a very poor state of repair, and a great amount of money would be required to restore it. Especially given the difficulty of access!

I remember a number of years ago that CAMRA tried to buy it at an asking price of £250,000 by selling stakeholder shares at £500 a pop! Unfortunately, as my memory serves me, they were only able to raise £2,500!

19 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We visited a long established hostelry near a very popular mooring at  location that may soon be subject to an overnight mooring fee (no names, no TOS infringements) for some bar snack type lunches in November.  They were only providing full meals at quite high prices at the time, so we wandered to the nearby church and made do with coffee and cake in their visitor centre instead.  I understand that the same establishment is only opening two days a week currently, so surely that’s indicative of tough times and a need for prudence.

I didn't know that Reedham had a church with a visitor's centre. You learn something new every day. :default_norty:

• Haha 3