Pubs You Miss

Broads01

Talking of footprints, does anyone remember the original Stracey Arms, before they built all the extensions and turned it into such a ghastly disco "venue"?  It was quite a small building, rather like a typical marsh man's house and had obviously served the river wherry trade for a long time before the new Acle Straight road was built.  In those days the main Yarmouth road went over Acle bridge and up through Caister.

There was one room inside, with a small bar and a fire place at the far end.  All round the walls were old bus seats and over the bar was a large stuffed coypu in a glass case.  The landlord, who was a Canadian, called it a "marsh mouse".  My father used to love the place, for some reason!

If you look carefully you can still see the original building, hidden away behind all the later extensions.

• Like 6

First adult memory of Stacey is late 70's, a soul-sapping experience that put me off visiting ever again. I did relent in the 2000's, when it briefly came under the wing of the Feathers. Good food, especially as it was 2 for 1 in midweek. Always packed, but obviously didn't work economy-wise. 

We had lunch at the Ferry Horning yesterday. We had the Carvery. I'm not  usually a  fan of Carveries but thoroughly enjoyed this.   I opted for a mixture of beef and turkey. the slice of beef was so generous that it resembled nothing so much as a tasty, tender steak and the Turkey was very moist and delicious. The selection of  vegetables on offer was  amazing and nothing short of superb,  beautifully cooked not ruined by being kept hot. We'll be going back. When we moored at  Ferry Marina in 2019 we used the pub a few times and  were not that impressed with the quality.It has  greatly improved.

Carole

• Like 3

4 hours ago, addicted said:

We had lunch at the Ferry Horning yesterday. We had the Carvery. I'm not  usually a  fan of Carveries but thoroughly enjoyed this.   I opted for a mixture of beef and turkey. the slice of beef was so generous that it resembled nothing so much as a tasty, tender steak and the Turkey was very moist and delicious. The selection of  vegetables on offer was  amazing and nothing short of superb,  beautifully cooked not ruined by being kept hot. We'll be going back. When we moored at  Ferry Marina in 2019 we used the pub a few times and  were not that impressed with the quality.It has  greatly improved.

Carole

The Ferry Inn Horning have posted on another site that they will be closing today, 02/01/23 for refurbishments and will re open on 10/02/23.

• Like 1

Eagle - Neatishead 

The Bridge - Potter Heigham 

The Wherry - Langley 

Maltsters ?? - Yes when it had a proper tap room separate to the lounge with that unique bow bar, the spoked wheel used to draw real ale. Our Lads week crew carried out that bow bar onto a removal van to take it to the Mob. A sad day

Griff

• Like 3

21 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

A bit of a more recent closure in Beccles is The Royal Oak.

I kind of liked that place as it was very much an Old Fashion Boozer 🍺

On the subject of old fashioned boozers. Does and know when is happening at The Angel in Loddon?

I even quite liked it after it's recent makeover.

I used to pop into the Royal Oak and I agree, a proper pub. It's now a pizza joint I believe. Regarding the Angel, I'm sure that I read somewhere that it is being opened again. Will make a mental note to try to get there in February. 

Can't comment on the grub at Horning Ferry but I was amazed to find them selling a beer from the Three Blind Mice brewery which is unheard of on the Broads. It was on cracking form too.  I did compliment them on this. 

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

I used to pop into the Royal Oak and I agree, a proper pub. It's now a pizza joint I believe. Regarding the Angel, I'm sure that I read somewhere that it is being opened again. Will make a mental note to try to get there in February. 

Can't comment on the grub at Horning Ferry but I was amazed to find them selling a beer from the Three Blind Mice brewery which is unheard of on the Broads. It was on cracking form too.  I did compliment them on this. 

Part of the current refurbishment is the addittion off a micro brewery.

• Thanks 1

Somewhere at the very back of my memory I seem to recall a pub next to Kings Head in Wroxham  (Hoveton to be politically correct.) The name I think was the Horseshoes and it's beer was very similar to our local brew at the time...Hull Brewery. I am going back to mid 60's

Can anyone shed any light on this or correct me if my memory is fading as it get older.

Jeff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Somewhere at the very back of my memory I seem to recall a pub next to Kings Head in Wroxham  (Hoveton to be politically correct.) The name I think was the Horseshoes and it's beer was very similar to our local brew at the time...Hull Brewery. I am going back to mid 60's

Can anyone shed any light on this or correct me if my memory is fading as it get older.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, yes it was the Horseshoes. Originally Bullards which were taken over by Watneys in the mid 60's. So presumably it would have sold Bullards and then Watneys up to its closure which will be a good few years ago now. I vaguely remember going in but I assume it would have been Watneys and maybe their 'local' beer which I think was Norwich Bitter. It is possible you may be thinking of Websters Yorkshire Bitter which was sold in some Broads pubs. Websters were also part of the Grand Metropolitan empire with so their beer was sold in some Watneys pubs. 

• Like 1