Ranworth Update

CambridgeCabby

8 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

Full at Potter and lots of boats at Womack dyke and Thurne. The new restaurant in the granary must be fuming.  

They have made their feelings known in a post on a FB group, questioning the BA’s actions.

10 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

They have made their feelings known in a post on a FB group, questioning the BA’s actions.

Who has made their feeling known?

Which FB group?

What BA actions?

I just wish for transparency why smoke and mirrors. I find it most confusing. Tell it as it is?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Which FB group?

What BA actions?

I just wish for transparency why smoke and mirrors. I find it most confusing. Tell it as it is?

The owner of The Granary Restaurant has questioned the BA’s actions in applying a mooring charge at Ranworth, which may have affected his business.  This was on the Love the Norfolk Broads FB group.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Which FB group?

What BA actions?

There’s a lot going on on Facebook try ‘Reform the Broads Authority’. No need to be a member, it’s open to all without a login…😎

Just now, Bluebell said:

There’s a lot going on on Facebook try ‘Reform the Broads Authority’. No need to be a member, it’s open to all without a login…😎

Hi Bluebell.

I try to make an informed judgement with regard to the present situation.

A place of divided loyalties, of intrigue, character assassination,  pontification,.

We need direction which is sadly lacking.

Long article in the EDP this morning about BRAG and the present bad feeling against the BA.  Stangely, I didn't notice any mention of the new mooring fees although there are two photos of Ranworth Staithe.

Incidentally I find it easier to read the Evening News (EEN24) as they haven't got around to bombarding you to subscribe.  At least not yet!

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Long article in the EDP this morning about BRAG and the present bad feeling against the BA.  Stangely, I didn't notice any mention of the new mooring fees although there are two photos of Ranworth Staithe.

Incidentally I find it easier to read the Evening News (EEN24) as they haven't got around to bombarding you to subscribe.  At least not yet!

I've just seen that via a link from the BRAG FB page. Very interesting, I didn't know that JP was selected for the job by DEFRA. I'm guessing they'll try and manage the situation so that history may record that he retired gracefully after a long career. 

On 02/04/2023 at 23:16, Matt said:

We have spent some amazing times at Ranworth. There was one time we even got a big game of cricket with at least 20 people playing over the course of an evening- my kids still talk about it.

There is nowhere around there that we have not been and spent money - the Granary, the shop, the pub, the wildlife centre, the church tea rooms, even walked up to Fairhaven gardens and tea room on occasion. But in an increasingly expensive world where our discretionary spending is already being squeezed a mooring fee on top of the money we would spend whilst we are there makes it an expensive choice and probably means we will just give it a miss.

That's the closest post to what I was going to say.

Just got back from a week on the Broads with wife and now adult daughter. My wife and I have been going to the Broads for 24 years now, at least once a year and often twice. We always avoid summer, but always go in early April and sometimes October. We always hire from family boatyards. We must have spent tens of thousands on boats, pubs, restaurants, tea rooms and gift shops in that time.

As others have said, this is really the thin end of the wedge at a time when everything costs more. I can only speak as a boat hirer, not an owner, but this is profiteering, nothing more or less. As far as I'm concerned, a customer that's hired a cruiser ought to be able to expect suitable free mooring to access amenities as a basic starting point. We didn't stop at Ranworth this year, precisely because of this charge. Mind you, pubs all seem to be getting in on the act as well now. I read that the Swan at Horning wanted £20 for overnight mooring, the excellent Lion at Thurne has put their charge up to £7.50 overnight and even The Bridge at Acle don't allow the increased  overnight cost of £8.00 to be redeemed against food now. We regularly eat and drink at these places and others (not The Swan anymore). but paying for food and drink has gone up approximately 30% in the past 3-4 years. This is just another cost on top. I know that's my choice, but it's part of what makes our holiday as well as helping local businesses.

For what it is, The Broads is now a VERY expensive holiday and I'm not sure that the costs are justified. With the demise of many family boatyards in the past 10-20 years, there are fewer boatyards to moor up at and seemingly fewer places to dispose of refuse or fill up with water too. I remember a conversation I had with one of the workmen at Summercraft just before they sold most of their fleet in 2019. He said we were one of only a few 'returners' they still had and that the Broads increasingly relied upon 'new' boaters, but the problem was, very few returned after a first visit.  I think this is what the BA rely on and consequently, they will willingly pay the £10 (and other charges that will no doubt follow) and the returners will gradually stop returning.

On a positive note, we now use the excellent Bridgecraft in Acle, and it was heartening that ALL of their boats were booked out, both last Saturday and today.

• Like 16

Very well said @hungryhippo

It is a well know fact of business, that is is far harder and more expensive to acquire a new customer that to retain an existing one.

In my mind, the the underlying issue here, like with most 'public' authorities, is the squandering of funds that we pay for through taxation of various forms. There is then a need to raise even more from that taxation to fund the basic amenities.

Another similar example of that being rising council taxes yet reducing bin collections, closing libraries etc.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, hungryhippo said:

Just got back from a week on the Broads with wife and now adult daughter. My wife and I have been going to the Broads for 24 years now, at least once a year and often twice. We always avoid summer, but always go in early April and sometimes October. We always hire from family boatyards. We must have spent tens of thousands on boats, pubs, restaurants, tea rooms and gift shops in that time.

As others have said, this is really the thin end of the wedge at a time when everything costs more. I can only speak as a boat hirer, not an owner, but this is profiteering, nothing more or less. As far as I'm concerned, a customer that's hired a cruiser ought to be able to expect suitable free mooring to access amenities as a basic starting point. We didn't stop at Ranworth this year, precisely because of this charge. Mind you, pubs all seem to be getting in on the act as well now. I read that the Swan at Horning wanted £20 for overnight mooring, the excellent Lion at Thurne has put their charge up to £7.50 overnight and even The Bridge at Acle don't allow the increased  overnight cost of £8.00 to be redeemed against food now. We regularly eat and drink at these places and others (not The Swan anymore). but paying for food and drink has gone up approximately 30% in the past 3-4 years. This is just another cost on top. I know that's my choice, but it's part of what makes our holiday as well as helping local businesses.

For what it is, The Broads is now a VERY expensive holiday and I'm not sure that the costs are justified. With the demise of many family boatyards in the past 10-20 years, there are fewer boatyards to moor up at and seemingly fewer places to dispose of refuse or fill up with water too. I remember a conversation I had with one of the workmen at Summercraft just before they sold most of their fleet in 2019. He said we were one of only a few 'returners' they still had and that the Broads increasingly relied upon 'new' boaters, but the problem was, very few returned after a first visit.  I think this is what the BA rely on and consequently, they will willingly pay the £10 (and other charges that will no doubt follow) and the returners will gradually stop returning.

On a positive note, we now use the excellent Bridgecraft in Acle, and it was heartening that ALL of their boats were booked out, both last Saturday and today.

Your post sums it up well and makes you an ideal candidate to join those of that have written to truly Harrison mp, it don't take long and the email address is on the faceache page.

And anyone else that hasn't written get to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hungryhippo said:

He said we were one of only a few 'returners' they still had and that the Broads increasingly relied upon 'new' boaters, but the problem was, very few returned after a first visit. 

And to think that in the late 50s and early 60s, Hearts Cruisers and others like them were running on 60% regular customers.

So what is now putting them off?  We all know what the problems are and we all know why. 

But we clearly have an Authority that doesn't have the competence, or the motivation, to stop the rot.  They are too busy "working with partners" and chasing political rainbows.

• Like 10

Berthed I at Ranworth. It’s chokka, had to queue up to get all three boats in 

I visited the information centre, politely gave the lady there my name, contact number, boat reg and name. Then informed her that I would not be paying the mooring fee as I had already paid it in my annual river toll then left the office 

I await any further developments or a visit 

Griff

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hungryhippo said:

Frankly, I’m not surprised that the cost of eating out has increased by that much.  The hospitality industry has been hit by as many, if not more, increases in their costs than we have.  Finding staff has been impacted by demands for higher wages and availability of people, heating and lighting costs have multiplied threefold, not to mention the cost of food.  It’s a crazy spiral for us all at the moment and if we don’t support the independent establishments, they will all soon become part of a chain or close.

I also have some sympathy with the mooring charges.  Replacing quay heading and maintaining moorings is an expensive process.  Pubs could apply the costs to their food and drink, but that would impact customers who arrive by road.

Don’t get me wrong, rising prices are squeezing (almost) all of us to a massive extent.  The welcome increase in my state pension has been swallowed up by the ending of the subsidy on fuel and our council tax rise.  However, I have a roof over my head and live in a relatively safe country, something that many millions of people in this world can only aspire to.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I visited the information centre, politely gave the lady there my name, contact number, boat reg and name. Then informed her that I would not be paying the mooring fee as I had already paid it in my annual river toll then left the office 

Griff

Well done M8 😁👍😁

I , and I'm sure quite a few others, will be waiting with baited breath to see the outcome of this one.

Not surprised it's busy.

Had to pop into Richardson's this morning and was shocked to see almost all the fleet out. I didn't count them but I would be surprised if more than 30 boats were lying in 😳

We stopped at reedham Friday afternoon and Dave (Irish quay guy) said at least we're not charging yet, I pointed out I won't be paying anyway, his reply was "no problem by me I'm just here to tie ropes and pass on info to BA".

So no reason whatsoever to get arsey with ba ground troops, it's the tw** in the hat where the problem lies.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Well done M8 😁👍😁

I , and I'm sure quite a few others, will be waiting with baited breath to see the outcome of this one.

Not surprised it's busy.

Had to pop into Richardson's this morning and was shocked to see almost all the fleet out. I didn't count them but I would be surprised if more than 30 boats were lying in 😳

They told me yesterday (as I handed the boat back) that they had 55 leaving Kingfisher Quay yesterday and a further 47 from Swan Quay. I hope it all went swiftly for them as handing over 100 boats is one heck of a undertaking!

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

We stopped at reedham Friday afternoon and Dave (Irish quay guy) said at least we're not charging yet, I pointed out I won't be paying anyway, his reply was "no problem by me I'm just here to tie ropes and pass on info to BA".

So no reason whatsoever to get arsey with ba ground troops, it's the tw** in the hat where the problem lies.

Not charging there yet, not surprising as they dont have a lease.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catcouk said:

They told me yesterday (as I handed the boat back) that they had 55 leaving Kingfisher Quay yesterday and a further 47 from Swan Quay. I hope it all went swiftly for them as handing over 100 boats is one heck of a undertaking!

They are pretty used to it.

It's like a well oiled machine and pretty impressive to witness 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

Whilst you were at Ranworth, we stopped for lunch at ‘Griffs Corner’, no room at St Benet’s, Ludham Bridge or How Hill! 

When I get round to my next visit to Ranworth, I will be following your lead and politely refusing to pay the illegal charge and I hope others will too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

I'm not sure it's the best option to go in like that. It's probably better to just not go in, it's a parish staithe which are free and it's unlawful for them to charge.

There's no reason to freely provide your details.  By providing you may personally have acknowledged the request for payment (in Law) and thus confirmed acceptance of such charge and now you have left without paying such charge and they have your details to persue you in a civil case and I really wouldn't bet on Dr Pikeman wasting lots of money to pursue a well known boat.

Don't forget, any signs there may well just be a marketing material (Just like the rest of BNP signs) and may well be placed there illegally so thus can be ignored. Perhaps someone should follow Mr Pickmans lead and waste the polices time further and report such signage as lawful (At least it would be too hard to work out who put them there!).