Slowing Down Passing Moored Boats

grendel

I wonder if the design of some of the newer boats is an issue as regards speeding.
The higher out of the water you are, and the less the visibility due to small windows, especially with their tinted glass, make you far less ‘at one’ with the river.

I think some people just switch off from their surroundings. I suppose like someone mentioned, a bit like in a car, protected from the world, in you own little bubble, until all of a sudden you’re in the middle of an incident, wondering how it happened. 

And no, that’s not how I drive my car!
And hopefully not the boat either, although I did own up to being distracted by talking too much to my guests on board last week and not noticing a few forumites passing me till they’d nearly gone by. 

• Like 4

Spot on kp’, I feel like that when driving my wife’s car. Low to the ground, limited all round visibility due to the soft top when up, and very sensitive to both right foot and fingers on the wheel.

TBH I struggle to switch off when driving it as I’m all too aware of the consequences having lost friends to RTA’s where in most cases speed was the factor in fatality.

But whilst boats are a lot slower they’re generally a lot bigger and heavier with no air bags, unless you count fenders. You don’t feel the bump of running something over nor the effect on others unless you’ve observing the bank behind you.

Slow down signs perhaps presumptuous & counter productive, maybe “Why hurry? Speed rocks” with a visual of a boat pitching on waves and the kettle falling over...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yesterday as I approached beccles and the little sailing dinghy racing, I was up and down on the throttle  letting them complete tacks etc, and trying to predict where they were heading so I didn't occupy that space, and I witnessed  headed the other way (in the 4mph zone) was a small cruiser with quite a bow wave, and a whole load of people on the bank yelling and waving for them to slow down, or kill their wash. At 4mph or less, I was barely making a ripple.

• Like 1

Time. 
At four or five mph you seem like you’re crawling. We are used to speeds up to 70 plus. 
2 and half hours to go 9 miles in this age?

It’s only when you look sideways you appreciate 4 mph is quite a jog. 
Now a helmsman who don’t spend a lot of time at that speed will get that feeling that they are making no progress towards their destination especially if they’re getting worried about mooring. 
just look at and hear, the flat out engines of boats coming back towards Acle from Great Yarmouth. 
Me? I’m in no rush, I’ve seen it, I don’t like the engine stress and I don’t want to pay for the extra diesel and to top it all, my boat don’t create a lot of wash. 
But down south with wide rivers, tides and long pulls, private and hirers alike seem to lose it. Some of the worse incidents of wash I’ve seen is been at somerlayton and herringfleet (spelling) by coming very close and it was one of those sea going palaces with twin engines. 
So to me, Time or the inability to adjust to it, causes the speeding

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I believe from personal experience there’s a huge amount of truth in what you say. For all sorts of reasons a few years ago I used to drive a 200mph capable cabriolet vehicle ( ok 195). Travelling at 150+ on the Ohne Geschwindichskeit Controlle autobahn. De-restricted motorway. Takes huge concentration and after a while everything slows down and it gets easier. However when one slows in the 130kph zones (81mph) it feels like you are literally standing still and it takes maybe thirty minutes until the senses re adjust. So yes I think you are right. 
Nowadays still have a cabbie but my fun is now getting 55mpg out of it so I get almost 750 miles from a tank. Hypermiling is great fun…

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Surly easy.Your on holiday,stick to the speed limit.You don't have to rush.Enjoy the river and the broads. So what if there's no space at yhe pub.Have a drink  on board.Even if your fly jets.Relax  it's not a race.

Fully agree, however the way things appear to be going, no worries about mooring at the pubs, you can all keep that, it’s the remaining moorings that appear to be in decline. Especially I guess for those who need access to the land, for some I guess this can add a whole heap of stress to get we’re they need to as quickly as possible, to make sure they get there before the rest. Praise be the mud weights… the best stress relief/plan B going 👍

• Like 1

Used to love mud weighting but no good for dogs sadly. Prefer wild mooring but where have they all gone? It would be great if there could be some negotiation with land owners that took away their (perceived?) responsibility to moorers and perhaps regular cleanups could be arranged to deal with antisocial rubbish dumping.

I know... it ain't gonna happen 🙁

2 hours ago, Ray said:

Used to love mud weighting but no good for dogs sadly

I’m gearing myself up to give mudweighting overnight with the dog a go. I’m going to try either Bridge Broad or South Walsham Broad, stay on the nearby moorings till as late as I dare before dark, let the dog out and then move over to the broad. In the morning, there’s sure to be space on the moorings to let the dog out again, he will last out till 9am or so. 

I use wild moorings a lot. And only ever once have I found a piece of rubbish, a disposable bbq hidden in the undergrowth. I put it on the boat and put in the skip at Richardsons.

My thought was “why has someone bothered to moved it to hide it, rather than just moving it onto the boat to take with them to the next rubbish point”? Bizarre!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I use wild moorings a lot. And only ever once have I found a piece of rubbish, a disposable bbq hidden in the undergrowth. I put it on the boat and put in the skip at Richardsons.

My thought was “why has someone bothered to moved it to hide it, rather than just moving it onto the boat to take with them to the next rubbish point”? Bizarre!

Not as bizarre as the rubbish that I saw at North Cove moorings on Saturday morning, which had been carefully bagged up into about three carrier bags and propped up against the BA mooring sign.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

True but unacceptable  to speed,just a bit of forward  planning. 

Again I fully agree, however I guess some folks just don’t know this, nor do they realise, that in reality when you work it out the time saved is pretty much nothing.  

9 hours ago, kpnut said:

Maybe they were giving the BA a gentle hint about providing facilities for the people they ‘serve’. 

Kate, I can’t remember if you said you were on around The Broads a few years ago, when the Council decided that they wouldn’t provide refuse facilities for the boating holiday makers, as they didn’t contribute towards their maintenance through the council tax.  Their idea was that our rubbish should be taken home with us and disposed of at home.  Consequently, a lot of bins and facilities were removed.

That said, North Cove is not well served by road access and emptying bins would surely not be practical if provided.  Whoever left that there, really needed to take it with them.

Im certainly not against a bit of BA bashing, where it’s deserved, but really don’t think that on this occasion it’s down to them.

Incidentally, we moored at Short Dyke on Saturday afternoon and overnight and I can report that the ridiculously overgrown BA moorings have been tidied, although we didn’t attempt the walk to the pub to see whether my contact with the Parish Council had had any effect.

19 hours ago, Malanka said:

I believe from personal experience there’s a huge amount of truth in what you say. For all sorts of reasons a few years ago I used to drive a 200mph capable cabriolet vehicle ( ok 195). Travelling at 150+ on the Ohne Geschwindichskeit Controlle autobahn. De-restricted motorway. Takes huge concentration and after a while everything slows down and it gets easier. However when one slows in the 130kph zones (81mph) it feels like you are literally standing still and it takes maybe thirty minutes until the senses re adjust. So yes I think you are right. 

Yep - once drove to Norwich shortly after gettting out of a SEPECAT Jaguar - brain was still doing 500 mph

• Love 1

My apologies Malcolm, I didn’t intend to ‘bash’, was just in a cynical mood!!!!! 
But no, I didn’t realise it was the council in charge of rubbish. A shortsighted policy I’d say to expect visitors to take rubbish home from a holiday, but I certainly don’t condone the leaving of rubbish anywhere. 

On another note, I’m hoping to stop at North Cove on a trip south in September. I’ve only been down there twice before and could kick myself for not mooring at Langley Dyke before it closed. 

21 minutes ago, kpnut said:

My apologies Malcolm, I didn’t intend to ‘bash’, was just in a cynical mood!!!!! 
But no, I didn’t realise it was the council in charge of rubbish. A shortsighted policy I’d say to expect visitors to take rubbish home from a holiday, but I certainly don’t condone the leaving of rubbish anywhere. 

On another note, I’m hoping to stop at North Cove on a trip south in September. I’ve only been down there twice before and could kick myself for not mooring at Langley Dyke before it closed. 

No need to apologise, Kate.  North Cove is my favourite of the two BA moorings on that stretch of The Waveney.  There’s room for three boats, as long as they’re moored considerately and no proper  roads to it, although there is a track which does give limited access.  Worlingham, the other BA mooring, does have a lane running to it and from past experience is used more by anglers.  We were there overnight a couple of years ago and disturbed by a party of fishing folk on an all-nighter.

As for the Blessed Authority, there was an article in a boating magazine recently which was reproduced on a FB group.  Obviously, for reasons of the Forums ToS, I can’t upload to here, but it does make very interesting reading and does ask some very valid questions of the BA and their priorities.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RumPunch said:

Yep - once drove to Norwich shortly after gettting out of a SEPECAT Jaguar - brain was still doing 500 mph

They are my fav ground attack planes. Indians are still or were up until recently still building em. One of the first with moving map display was it not? Overwing sidewinders very cool only on international export ones until gulf war 1 I believe too. Would have been alpha jet pants if we (uk) hadn’t insisted on it being supersonic. French version was never as good as ours IMO. 
I would love to hear some stories over a beer sometime… An interest in Military Aviation kindled by my father many moons ago. I have an extensive library of Military aviation books I still read. Met a few typhoon jockeys too. Never been nerd enough to hit the Mach Loop though. I’ve probably frightened you off by now lol. 

Best and loudest thing I ever saw RAF wise was 10 Harriers taking off vertically and simultaneously at RIAT ( mid nineties) was incredible. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Malanka said:

They are my fav ground attack planes. Indians are still or were up until recently still building em. One of the first with moving map display was it not? Overwing sidewinders very cool only on international export ones until gulf war 1 I believe too. Would have been alpha jet pants if we (uk) hadn’t insisted on it being supersonic. French version was never as good as ours IMO. 
I would love to hear some stories over a beer sometime… An interest in Military Aviation kindled by my father many moons ago. I have an extensive library of Military aviation books I still read. Met a few typhoon jockeys too. Never been nerd enough to hit the Mach Loop though. I’ve probably frightened you off by now lol. 

Best and loudest thing I ever saw RAF wise was 10 Harriers taking off vertically and simultaneously at RIAT ( mid nineties) was incredible. 

PM me when you are up

• Like 1

I had to laugh just now, a dayboat was approaching the mooring I'm at, far far too fast. As it neared, it slowed to just far too fast, went past then throttled back up to far far too fast.

I thought to myself, well although he was wrong  he could have been wronger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4