Slowing Down Passing Moored Boats

grendel

This was something mentioned recently in another thread, 

The courtesy of slowing down (even when you are not doing the speed limit) when passing moored boats.

Moored up here at herringfleet,  I have noticed that this courtesy is becoming less and less shown, many large cruisers and privateers alike, are just not bothering  anymore,  I hear them coming and the engine note does not waver as they pass by, then I am bouncing against the Quay heading.

While I may not slow down, I always check to see how much wash I am creating,  slowing down if necessary ( generally I am below the speed limits anyway) 

Also for canoeists and paddleboarders, I will drop to tickover to create minimal wash as I pass them.

Has anyone else come across this, I think only maybe 2 of all the boats that passed me yesterday actually slowed in any degree.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, grendel said:

This was something mentioned recently in another thread, 

The courtesy of slowing down (even when you are not doing the speed limit) when passing moored boats.

Moored up here at herringfleet,  I have noticed that this courtesy is becoming less and less shown, many large cruisers and privateers alike, are just not bothering  anymore,  I hear them coming and the engine note does not waver as they pass by, then I am bouncing against the Quay heading.

While I may not slow down, I always check to see how much wash I am creating,  slowing down if necessary ( generally I am below the speed limits anyway) 

Also for canoeists and paddleboarders, I will drop to tickover to create minimal wash as I pass them.

Has anyone else come across this, I think only maybe 2 of all the boats that passed me yesterday actually slowed in any degree.

It is getting worse. I notice it happens more in the rain.

It seems to be a case of head down and get to the mooring as soon as possible.

Cruising should be a journey, not a destination.

• Like 8

I certainly agree, it is getting worse. Many of the gin palaces, as we lovingly call them 😉, create a vast amount of wash and almost never slow down when passing moored boats. Shame on those helms. I have noticed too that the Broom Captains and Skippers etc create more wash than most hire boats. Do boatyards warn about wash these days? I’m sure it’s in the skipper’s manual on board every hire boat but I don’t think these get perused half the time! 

• Like 3

It’ll be a bit like Reedham, I guess.  I’ve seen boats going through at what looks to be way in excess of the speed limit, creating virtually no wash going with the current and others punching the tide at low speed, generating a huge wake.

We passed Grendel earlier, doing 5mph in a 6mph zone, going with the ebbing current and creating what I thought was little wash.  I hope we weren’t one of the guilty ones!😬

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

I think the lack of courtesy is more down to ignorance than badness. 

I think in many cases it is but not always. 

2 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

I think some people think they are the only ones on the river

I think some people wish they are the only ones on the river. 😁

We moor stern on at Chedgrave, just beyond Pacific. Lack of courtesy and reducing speed is a constant problem there. Some owners and hirers just don’t appear to understand that on arriving at that final stretch of the narrow Chet, they are pushing a large volume of water down a narrow channel and the faster they go the worse it’s effects are. The moored craft swing sometimes violently backwards and forwards on mass as they pass and can result in damage. 
When they choose not to look your way and keep eyes forward, ignoring well intentioned gestures or signals to reduce speed, it is beyond annoying. At a gentle speed we hardly move at all. Why is it so difficult to understand?

• Like 3

I suspect in many cases it is not so much that they don't understand but that they don't care.

The gradual shift over the years toward self obsessed entitlement has accelerated (in my opinion) since Covid.

You can't fail to notice it in many aspects of life.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Why speed anyway, a gentle cruise is so so enjoyable. 

I have cruised along at just over tick over so as to take in everything and enjoy the beauty of the place and then someone toots at you for going too slow as they overtake, sometimes you just can't win x

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

There is a general lack of consideration in all aspects of life nowadays unfortunately. It's a combination of a poor upbringing and lack of discipline. And I don't mean poor in the financial sense.

I have to disagree. It is a lack of education, and that is down to you and me.

Perhaps we have been lacking in this respect.

When we had a boat that floated I had begun to take photos, I have quite a selection. Reporting them to a certain boatyard has proven pointless as it’s hard to get past the front desk ( what does he expect me to do brigade) Well what I expect is them to receive a warning from said boatyard and if they get two or notified by broads beat they get kicked off. Huge step to sorting the problem. Broads beat has ALWAYS listened to when I mention speeders. ( mainly based on wash not actual speed) Twice they had words with miscreants during our last season. 

Don’t be passive or nothing will change about anything we find ourselves concerned about. One of my current list is the use or misuse of the word amount. This should be restricted to non measurable items. Amount of vitriol is a case in point. Every other item has an associated QUANTITY. Number of people, Number of cars not amount fgs. One more whilst on a roll, idiots walking down roads disrupting lives quoting “indeterminate sources ( non official ) “ using a phrase never used in any official report or scientific paper referenced by the UN IPCC, or the UNFCC (the parent organisation based in Bonn Germany- ) the one you’ve never heard of lol . Not once in the Output of thirty years has the phrase “ climate crisis” been used by the relevant bodies. Ahh well. Back to bed and take some meds. 

• Like 2