Boat Fire

Wussername

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Yes Vaughan,Β  but don't forget that those sockets are low wattage and will onlyΒ  electrocute you a tiny bit.

In all my Electrical and mechanical engineering. We had but one Mantra.

It's the Volts what Jolt; But the Mills that Kills

Mills = Milliamps

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Hi Lulu,

Love the "new" pictures in your photo.

I have just had my second coffee of the day in my mug with the same picture of Wroxham on my mug , (also bought from Roys)

Jeff

There are quite a few more different ones in this wooden postcard range. i think I might get them all

19 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Oh bu55er! Looks like I'll have to slum it on the broads and east coast then for my upcoming trip.... :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, time for some more speculation then.

I reckon that neither the boat owner (who was decanting petrol from one fuel can to another whilst smoking a cigar) nor his wife (who was in bed smoking and surrounded by burning scented candles) noticed the overheating razor point. The grill, all four rings and the oven were in use as a space heater, but the real danger was the empty wine bottle that had been left in the sunshine only yards from a varnish brush in white spirit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ray (Regulo) .

In what universe would you expect to find a used varnish brush in white spirit on MY boat?

Not sure about what the brush would be used for, but it could be quite feasible that having drained all other libations, the only one left to swig was the white spirits ??

• Haha 1

Just returned from a very relaxing 18 days cruising on the southern and northern rivers - wow haven't we been lucky with the weather; it was fantastic compared with what we'd had earlier in the month.

It was great to meet up with 'Parge' (Dave) at Sutton Staithe and talk all things 'boating' before we left to fill up the diesel tank and empty the black 'water' tanks, before making our way south.

In-between cruising, (drinking and eating) we managed to remove the two shaver points on the boat and prevent anybody using them in the future - mine were similar to what others have posted on here, and I'm glad they are now out!

shaver supply.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update on this one, the boat was removed a couple of weeks back and was sat on the private staithe at Woodbastwick; the one near Salhouse Broad rather than the public one opposite Horning Ferry.

There was quite a lot more left than most people expected, but she has now been broken up and the last of the debris was in a large skip as of this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/08/2023 at 16:04, Bluebell said:

Before and after wiring, couldn’t have been easier to disconnectβ€¦πŸ˜Ž

IMG_0081.jpeg

Β 

Β 

Remembering this thread, one of the first tasks I undertook on my boat was to find and remove the shaver point

To get to it, I had top remove a panel in the galley above the cooker, that backed onto a void behind the bathroom bulkhead and revealed rear access to the shaver outlet (and shower valve)

Interestingly, the the main unit looked identical yours, but was mounted behind the bulkhead with a wire leading out of one of the holes to a faceplate (shown on the left of the picture) in the bathroom.

I can see now it was a bodge job, so am very glad it is removed.

All that is needed now it to cover the small hole - maybe I can just glue a small piece of plastic or solid perspex over the hole.

Β 

Shaver point.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have never seen one like that.Β 

Disgraceful.

It never crossed my mind until I looked back on this thread and saw the image in Bluebells post of the same unit that anything was untoward.

I couldn't even quite understand how it worked. The faceplate had been extended out from the main unit into the bathroom on the black 3-core flex - the only cable running to the unit. Then there was a 12V cable also wired to the faceplate, via a microswitch that I think would activate when you inserted the 2 pronged plug. So the 12V must had fed back to the unit on one of the cores in the same flex that sent back 240V ? Otherwise how else did the unit get 12V power ?

Added to the face that the unit was concealed, so you would never know if it was getting hot, and it was surrounded by wood as part of the fittings - it was an accident waiting to happen.

So thank you Vaughan for highlighting this issue, otherwise I would have just left it in place without a second thought and who know what could have happened ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1