Lifejackets

kpnut

A completely different day to the one I’d planned. 

It started off quietly, with a wander up to the field at How Hill for a dog run. And back to the boat to do some baking to drop off as a Christmas gift for the guys at Ludham Bridge boatyard. It started raining just after I cast off so my waterproof jacket was close to hand. My destination was Salhouse. 

I decided on my way down the Ant that the rain wasn’t going to stop, so off came the lifejacket and on went the waterproof before re-donning the life jacket. What a palaver.

On arrival at Ludham Bridge I moored up next to the water point, so I could pop over to the yard. 

And now for the serious stuff - 

After tying up the bow rope, I was pulling the boat back as she had drifted slightly further than I wanted, (even though I was against the tide I hadn’t realised quite how windy it was) when, for some inexplicable reason, I found myself in the water. I can only assume I’d sort of stepped off the quay as I certainly didn’t slip or trip. I went in much like a  diver doing their backward somersault in. 

Everything was in very slow motion. The lifejacket inflated as it should and I walked myself along the quay to the low water point zone where I managed to pull myself out. All very calm, and presumably quite quick. So now, fully soaked, but not cold, perhaps due to my many layers, I had to battle my way out of the ‘Michelin man’ look. I realise now there’s a deflation valve I could have used to make life easier. 
I had a shower and change of clothes before popping across to George at the yard. His whole carpark is flooded and has been for weeks. It must be quite miserable at work for them. 

Then it was turnaround and set off back to Stalham to use the laundrette. This evening I’m warm and all clothing is clean and dry. Well, my lovely guernsey sweater which had kept me so warm in the water is still a bit damp.
One of the lads at the yard will show me tomorrow how to change the gas canister and fold the lifejacket. 

My thoughts on this experience - 

Firstly, I pondered whether to embarrass myself by writing about it. I decided I would as if it prompts just one person to wear a lifejacket, then good. 

Secondly, I realised having more than one life jacket on board is sensible. I have four, and if more people were onboard, I’d make sure there was one for each person. I found out when servicing them the other month, that two of mine are manual inflation. After this experience, I think auto inflation ones are a must. I understand manual ones have an advantage when doing watersports where you’re in and out of the water, but mine will only be deployed in an emergency. They’ve gone up my priority list for upgrading. 

Thirdly, the reason for never wearing a waterproof jacket OVER the lifejacket is obvious once it’s inflated. And better still, be organised before casting off, wearing suitable clothing. 

Fourthly, if there were boats moored up but no-one around to help pull you out, you’d have to swim into the main channel to get to a mooring ladder, and that’s assuming no one’s moored over it! I suppose working your way along the boats, holding onto fenders would be a good option.

Fifthly, bringing enough clothes for my trip would be sensible, rather than the bare minimum. In future I’ll have two waterproof jackets on board as that was the main reason for having to go back to Stalham. I have a spare in the car. 

So, all’s well that ends well, but it could have been so different. If the bow rope wasn’t already secured, the boat could have ended up blown onto the bridge, or even through it, carrying Finlay off with it. 
I could have knocked my head and not been able to help myself. 

I’m very well aware of the dangers of solo cruising and always try to do everything very deliberately and thoughtfully, and even then things can go wrong. Funnily enough, I do have an emergency ladder at the bow,  but didn’t even give it a thought. 

Will it stop me solo cruising? -  most definitely not. 
Will I do anything different in future? - not really, as I’ve done my risks assessments and am prepared to take the risk.
True accidents can and do happen. 
But I’ll certainly not be getting complacent anytime soon. 

Any thoughts/advice welcome. 

Ps, I won’t be telling my husband or daughter!!!!!!

Note split into a new thread at the original posters request (Grendel)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Karizma said:

certainly food for thought as we never wear our life jackets, though they are on board all the time.

glad it all worked out ok for you in the end - and I assume Finlay was none the wiser what mum had just gone through?

Well, who would have thought you need a lifejacket at Ludham Bridge? 

Finlay was looking out of the front door as I walked back towards the boat. He never normally bothers taking any notice at all. Lulu and I decided he was feeling envious that he wasn’t taken swimming with me!

• Like 4

Thank you for sharing, Kate, I'm glad you did.

I frequently hire solo but whether solo or not I always wear a life jacket for both mooring and unmooring, regardless of location and conditions. I was never more glad of that when I fell in at Gayes Staithe in 2017 after coming in to moor stern-on on the end quay. I stepped off safely with both stern ropes and then promptly proceeded to step too far to my left so my left foot went over the quay at right angles to where the boat was. It was a wet day so I was togged up with raincoat and my auto life jacket did it's job, albeit after a brief moment where I was scared it wasn't going to. Fortunately there was a couple on hand to haul me out as in the water I felt like I was covered in lead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Firstly, I pondered whether to embarrass myself by writing about it. I decided I would as if it prompts just one person to wear a lifejacket, then good.

Glad to hear you came out of it unscathed, but definitely the right thing to do admitting what happened to make others rethink their own behaviour. I keep harping on at people to wear lifejackets in winter or when single-handling, as I've seen too many incidents not to speak up. Cold shock in winter is also lethal, so particularly advisable to wear an auto model at this time of year.

The RYA are actually running a campaign to increase awareness at the moment. The bit I found scary was the mention of it causing vertigo, preventing you knowing which way is up or down.

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge/safety/look-after-yourself/cold-water-shock

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you’re OK Kate.

I’ve actually just fitted a folding ladder to the stern of Rambling Rosie. It unfolds with 2 rungs well under the waterline.  In my youth I’ve climbed up the hulls / rubbing strakes of many boats while getting out of the water but that was a long time and many pounds ago in shorts!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LizG said:

How did you get out? My friend had terrible problems but eventually found the BA ladder to haul herself out!

I pulled myself out with my arms at the low bit by the water point. No chance of pulling oneself out at a normal height quay heading with all that weight of wet clothing.

There was a ladder a bit further on that might have been easier to use. 

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Fortunately there was a couple on hand to haul me out as in the water I felt like I was covered in lead.

That was exactly it. The weight of the clothing is more than anticipated, even with a bit of air trapped between waterproof jacket and next layer down. I had lifejacket, waterproof, fleece gilet (that weighed the heaviest once I took it off), guernsey wool jumper, shirt, jeans (cold!) and underclothes. And stupidly, full length wellies that were like ton weights on my legs. 

I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised by the weight of wet clothes. I’ve done enough of those practice exercises in a swimming pool when I was young, where you had to rescue, or be rescued, wearing pyjamas and footwear.

I do ache a bit this morning and have a crick in my neck, most likely caused by the lifejacket pushing it when it inflated. 

• Like 6

Goodness me Kate, I am so pleased you are okay. Thank you for posting, it really is a stark reminder about life jackets for always but even more important when you are solo

If you wanted a swim, I find a nice indoor swimming pool, with life guards and a warm changing room would have been much better for you :default_biggrin:

Take care and stay safe

:default_xmas6: x

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is a most salutary story for all of us and I can only breathe a sigh of relief that it all ended well.  It is something to "bring you up with a round turn" as they say.

I am afraid I have always been rather lax about life jackets  - perhaps too familiar with the water? - although I have spent my working days telling hirers they ought to be wearing them!

One thing I always do though, whenever I go boating, is to take a full change of clothes in a holdall bag.  If I don't need them, someone else might.  

Thank you for posting this story and we should all be reflecting on it!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Vacuum bags are great for a full change of clothes onboard as they can stay there all season without getting damp, we learn't that one after having to be served dinner on the boat from a pub on the great ouse as Ali was sat in a towel while she ate, yep she missed the edge. (didn't laugh, honest! (lie))

We're both very lax about life jackets and I doubt that will change despite me being a poor fairly swimmer (not tried in years), I always have them at the ready when heading out to sea so they can be put on at a moments notice but we don't need to go out on deck while out.

Remember an auto jacket can be dangerous inside the boat if it's going down as it's a lot harder to get out.

The hammar action auto jackets are better than the plain auto ones as a bit of damp won't set them off while hanging in their pack in a cupboard and hammar is a must for an auto jacket in any spray as they need to dip under water by a certain amount before the water gets to the rice paper.

I once hopped over to help a guy pull a girl out of the water up the side of his boat and despite her being tiny and there being two of us it was bloody hard work, if someone is close to an edge turn them around so they face the river before dragging as you don't need to lift them as far, if all else fails dunk them under and you'll have some inertia to help when they bob back up, it's much easier to keep something moving than it is to start something moving.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

if someone is close to an edge turn them around so they face the river before dragging as you don't need to lift them as far, if all else fails dunk them under and you'll have some inertia to help when they bob back up, it's much easier to keep something moving than it is to start something moving.

This is very good advice and it works!  I have used this often, when getting people out on the quay after they have fallen in.

It is a method that I was taught, somewhere. It may have been the St John Ambulance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

The advice given to me when rescuing someone is to face them towards you, so you can communicate efficiently, but cross arms and as they rise they twist and sit on the edge.

Yes, that is just what I was taught.  You dunk them down and then as you lift them you spread your arms, which turns them round and they end up sitting on the quay between your legs, looking rather surprised!

In fact, especially with heavy people, I have found it best, as Smoggy says, to turn them first.  Crossing your arms and communicating is good, unless the person is already in a bit of a panic.

• Like 1

I usually have sseveral practice sessions a year on water rail (commonly known as having a swim, when I am moored up I generally have the paddleboard in the water alongside, I have practiced getting out of the water using this, where I tuck one edge of the paddle board under the rubbing strake at water level, then get up onto the board, after which I can then alight back aboard the boat, the only time I went into the water unintentionally was when I was wearing a lifejacket, this was at candle dyke, where it was 8 foot deep in the middle,  a few strokes towards the shore though and I could stand on the bottom (i dont wear an auto inflate LJ and at this point I had felt no need to inflate the one I was wearing.  I got to a slipway and managed to scramble out, but the lifejacket even uninflated was more of a hinderance than a help.

I do always have it within hand reach of the helm position, and always use it when mooring up at great yarmouth or reedham.

Cold shock- as I learned to swim in our local outdoor river fed pool (open from march to october) I learned from an early age how to handle the cold shock.

the only other times I have slipped and nearly / actually fallen overboard, were on lads week, the first I managed to catch myself and not go in, the second I somehow managed to land aboard the boat i was fending off ending up sitting on his side deck.

I tend to wear light clothing all year around when boating shorts and tee shirt, these dont tend to get too water logged Water rail has good rubbing strakes for climbing to get out (yes I have practiced that too,) looping a rope between cleats also helps to start getting out and something to hang onto aboard.

I hope all this practice is never needed, and I tend to be a lot more careful moving around the boat when solo. though I have never considered I might also be able to fall in from the bank.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kpnut said:

Any thoughts/advice welcome. 

Ps, I won’t be telling my husband or daughter!!!!!!

This won't stay a secret for very long Kate !!

But on a serious note - many thanks for sharing this, and glad that you came out unscathed.

It is likely I will be doing a fair bit of solo-helming, so will heed your advice.

Which then asks the question: I don't yet have any life jackets on board A Frayed Knot, only a life ring - are there any recommendations for the best sort of life jacket (for the Great Ouse/Broads) ? I have seen a few for sale in the Jones chandlery, but had no idea what to go for.

• Like 1

Many thanks Kate. We wear our jackets all the time even when cleaning. I can't imagine shouting at someone trying to help me "I'VE GOT A LIFE JACKET IN THE CUPBOARD " All these things happen when you least expect them 

Take it easy for a few days we are so pleased you are OK and got it so right an example to all of us.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Which then asks the question: I don't yet have any life jackets on board A Frayed Knot, only a life ring - are there any recommendations for the best sort of life jacket (for the Great Ouse/Broads) ? I have seen a few for sale in the Jones chandlery, but had no idea what to go for.

We have these on NL:

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Seago/Classic-190N-Automatic-Life-Jacket/DT7

They were chosen because of their simplicity to repack if and when they were deployed.  One thing to note is that the gas cylinders have a ‘use by’ date, so an element of maintenance is required.

• Like 2

The benefit of a jacket with the cylinder inside the bladder is the cylinder does not corrode as long as you test inflate using a pump not breath and if they do leak you know because the bladder inflates, but you do need to check the cylinder is tight on the action from time to time, this can be done without taking it apart though.

Auto jackets have a calendar life on the action where manual actions don't.

175N is the standard, 190N is usually for full foul weather gear, think trawlerman not a winters day on the broads.

• Like 2

mine is a crewfit manually operated model, (150N) and was fitted with a new cylinder when I got it home. it gets tested regularly, but isnt the newest lifejacket out there. I do also carry a spare cylinder for it to be able to reset it should I need to use it.

• Like 2