Will Yacht Sailing Boats Disappear

Andrewcook

Will the Yacht Sailing Boats Disappear and the Smaller Sailing still be around?  There are Only Two places for Sailing Yachts one at Hickling and the other one Near Stalham sorry I've forgotten the name of it as I'm in Hospital at this time

• Like 1

Why would they disappear??  It's not my cup of tea but there are several places you can hire sailing yachts from plus several dinghy clubs.

Sorry the hear you are in hospital, hope your better and back home soon.

I am sorry to hear that you are stuck in hospital Andrew, I hope you recover quickly and get back on the Broads as soon as you can.

Regarding those annoying flappy things..?..I feel sure they will be around for many years to come. 

And that is how it should be in my opinion. Yes a bit of a nuisance at times and occasionally somewhat unpredicable......but majestic and serene when handled skillfully.

• Like 3

I hope not, Andrew. Negotiating my way past flappy things is fun, I find. If you mean places to hire sailing boats there's still a few of those - Eastwood Whelpton at Upton, Hunters at Womack and Martham Boats all come to mind.

• Like 1

surely they will be around- as the price of diesel rises more people will be wanting to use the free wind, and as for only 2 places to use them, well you see them all over the broads, so no, plenty of places to use them.

Wind and oared powered boats were around for ever before steam and I.C. And will probably be around for leisure after I.C. gets banned.

Goodness me, I hope not. Although, unlike Simon, trying to helm past one sees me running to the nearest cabin :default_biggrin:

I think flappy thingies are beautiful and majestic. Sitting on a boat, on a wild mooring on the Ant with a gentle breeze blowing you hear the billowing in the wind of a yachts sails as they appear from around a bend gliding gently in the water. Absolutely beautiful 

I hope you are on the mend Andrew and can get home soon x

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Smoggy said:

There may not be many places to hire them but there's no shortage of them around and can be used anywhere on the broads.

The hard bit is knowing where they're going.

You think we know ? :10_wink:

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

One question I would like to ask Griff will he ever venture into using a Sailing Yacht on the Ladds week instead of cruising around the Broads on the Boat

Not with Grendel 's past record.....

• Haha 7

The last time I was in a dinghy, the rudder fell off, the last time I was aboard a sailing yacht one of the pins for the boom dropped off and fell into the water- so I dont have a great record in sailing boats.

• Haha 1

Just now, grendel said:

The last time I was in a dinghy, the rudder fell off, the last time I was aboard a sailing yacht one of the pins for the boom dropped off and fell into the water- so I dont have a great record in sailing boats.

I'm not sure your record is much better in motor boats!! bilge pump failure and engine failure!!! :default_norty:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

One question I would like to ask Griff will he ever venture into using a Sailing Yacht on the Ladds week instead of cruising around the Broads on the Boat

Oh Lord help us!

Can you imagine the lads after their DTS. A whole new meaning to zig zagging all over the ruddy place :default_biggrin: x

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Oh Lord help us!

Can you imagine the lads after their DTS. A whole new meaning to zig zagging all over the ruddy place :default_biggrin: x

In a sailboat or stinkie? Have you seen me helm after a good lunchtime visit? :default_winko:

• Haha 1

I sincerely hope not. As a Trustee for Hunters Yard (Norfolk Heritage Fleet Trust) we are very keen to encourage youngsters to experience the joys of sailing and the benefits of being outside and on the water. In fact during 2023, the yard provided sailing experiences for over 360 primary school aged children from local Norfolk schools. In 2024 Hunters Yard is expanding this new initiative. The 1930's fleet is maintained by a dedicated team of skilled boat-builders so there will still be zig-zagging and flappy sails for many more years to come. Incidentally, many of the yachts you see from Hunters fleet (they are the ones with the varnished hulls) are equipped with silent electric pod engines - so zero emissions even when the sails are down! 

• Like 8
  • Love 3

I am astounded you are even asking!

In a word - NO

However I acknowledge one should never say never

Griff

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, guywilkes said:

I sincerely hope not. As a Trustee for Hunters Yard (Norfolk Heritage Fleet Trust) we are very keen to encourage youngsters to experience the joys of sailing and the benefits of being outside and on the water. In fact during 2023, the yard provided sailing experiences for over 360 primary school aged children from local Norfolk schools. In 2024 Hunters Yard is expanding this new initiative. The 1930's fleet is maintained by a dedicated team of skilled boat-builders so there will still be zig-zagging and flappy sails for many more years to come. Incidentally, many of the yachts you see from Hunters fleet (they are the ones with the varnished hulls) are equipped with silent electric pod engines - so zero emissions even when the sails are down! 

Glad to see a post from the Hunter’s boats trustees here. Our first, ever so magical experience, on the Broads was on a Hunter’s boat, and we hired several others over the years, including some of their day boats. I’ve posted several holiday tales about our experiences (check out past holiday blogs). :default_biggrin: 

Our family would so love to hire another Hunter’s boat, it’s my idea of bliss on the Broads. However, we have regretfully decided it wouldn’t be safe now that we have two dogs. We love him, and have no regrets, but rescuing Pozzick has restricted our options. Tales on the Pozzick rescue are also available. 

Really, for anyone wanting to have the authentic Broads experience, you can’t beat hiring from Hunter’s Yard. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, guywilkes said:

equipped with silent electric pod engines - so zero emissions even when the sails are down! 

You mean "emissions in someone elses back yard", sorry as much as it's a great idea on a sailboat for auxillary I still don't buy the zero emissions from leccy gospel, it's not a dig in any way as I have an E-propulsion for my tender.

Besides when the sails are flapping and the hull is zigzagging there's enough emissions from Gracie as she dives for cover to make up for it... :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1