Sabre 28 - Cruiser - Project

JawsOrca

that is why you should wear safety glasses when working with the stuff, that said I have managed to get molten grinding dust in my eye, while wearing goggles, the trouble with that is it sticks and they have to pick it out with the point of a pin - not at all fun.

Grendel

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

At this rate your boat had better come with a Goverment health warning.

"Can seriously damage your wealth & heath" :naughty:

Seriously, you more than likely will have scratched the inside of your eyelid, it tends to hurt like hell.

You just need a boat to go on for a few days to rest, do you know of one?

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Geez Grendel that really sounds nasty! Dave had a weld go through his foot when we built the houseboat.. but on your eye .. sod that! You were probably very very lucky not to lose your eye.. I do normally wear glasses but I just thought I'll quickly remove that bit of glass... perhaps things should never be rushed!

Thanks Alan and David.. it actually feels a lot better after getting it looked at and being told theres nothing there :) There's no stopping for a holiday though we just need to battle on and get it finished.. hopefully we can have a weekend away in a few months though :)

cheers All :)

O^O¬ O^O¬ O^O¬ Need I say more! Be it 1 minute or fifty, young Alan, please wear eye protection. You only get two of them, so look after them. This is an auld tradesman telling you politely :naughty:  If I had been close at hand, you would have got a mouthful!! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

p.s. Young Alan's mum, gee him a skelpit bahoochie the next time you see him. :naughty:

• Like 2

:) Wrist firmly slapped Iain!  :cry

Some positive news now (and we didn't lift a finger!!!) We are soo lucky here at this yacht club to have some very skilled fellow members.. One of them makes magic happen with canopies.. he took the canopy away on sunday because he was a bit bored and to my surprise he called just texted me to say the canopy is back on the boat! Daves just refitted and it looks like new! He's replaced three of the 5 windows and the back one he made supersize for us! He's also added new zips and bits so we can roll all sides up and washed and waterproofed it! All for an amazing mates rate :) :) :)

Pics attached (Lovely sunny evening here in Kent tonight :) .. this is really the only job (and cushions) which we will get someone in to do (and it feels soo nice lol!).. we did want to try ourselves but theres really no point when the chap is as good as this! I've asked him to make some window covers for us (Again I won't say how much because my folks paid a ton for similar lol but its not much!!)

post-28066-0-15261200-1411581105_thumb.j

post-28066-0-02508500-1411581160_thumb.j

post-28066-0-79855600-1411581172_thumb.j

post-28066-0-52690400-1411581188_thumb.j

post-28066-0-74846600-1411581204_thumb.j

post-28066-0-38027600-1411581288_thumb.j

post-28066-0-66070900-1411581300_thumb.j

• Like 7

Hi, that will be good!.. we are in Hoo Ness Yacht Club.  Directions: (http://www.hooness.org.uk/contact.php). You can't miss us as we are the only motor boat in here lol Just give us a tap on the hull when you reach us.. It's still work in progress though so don't look too closely lol! cheers 

Hi Allan,

Karen and i are coming to North Kent to visit family and friends, so if you`re about mid-late Saturday morning, we`ll call round and say hello, and have a look at your handywork.

Don't worry Grace.. I believe you... I think it was either Iain or my dad ...  :naughty:

I thought it was about time to embrace the boat a bit more.. although I need to sort that waterline out although it does look a bit like the boat is smiling (or at least looking a bit smug in the yacht club lol)...

• Like 3

Early morning run to the timber yard! thankfully they kept the two oak faced ply boards I ordered a couple of weeks ago nice and safe for us! Today has been a busy day with the good olde tick stick.. most panels came out ok,, couple of small gaps but its good enough! We firstly put a thick board for the chainlocker bulkhead and then the oak finishing board.. then we went onto the wardrobe.. I want to get these finished this week as so I can get some carpet on the sides and then do the headlining in there... 

Also it was nice to finally meet some fellow NBN forum members! Neil and Karen (aka speedtriple) stopped in and it was nice to have a long chat! I think Neil said it looks better than my pictures :)

Dave is still over now just throwing a coat of varnish over the ply boards.. tomorrow he will throw (literally!) a nice strong coat of epoxy on the backs to preserve them.. but it's nice to see new nice looking finishing bits on.. feeling good again :)

Couple of pics attached.. these aren't positioned too well so ignore the gaps lol they arent that bad.. (ish!)...

post-28066-0-65528100-1411839881_thumb.j

post-28066-0-68821400-1411839894_thumb.j

post-28066-0-75367800-1411839909_thumb.j

• Like 5

Early morning run to the timber yard! thankfully they kept the two oak faced ply boards I ordered a couple of weeks ago nice and safe for us! Today has been a busy day with the good olde tick stick.. most panels came out ok,, couple of small gaps but its good enough! We firstly put a thick board for the chainlocker bulkhead and then the oak finishing board.. then we went onto the wardrobe.. I want to get these finished this week as so I can get some carpet on the sides and then do the headlining in there... 

Also it was nice to finally meet some fellow NBN forum members! Neil and Karen (aka speedtriple) stopped in and it was nice to have a long chat! I think Neil said it looks better than my pictures :)

Dave is still over now just throwing a coat of varnish over the ply boards.. tomorrow he will throw (literally!) a nice strong coat of epoxy on the backs to preserve them.. but it's nice to see new nice looking finishing bits on.. feeling good again :)

Couple of pics attached.. these aren't positioned too well so ignore the gaps lol they arent that bad.. (ish!)...

Hi Allan and Dave,

it was good to meet you two guys, and i must say, having seen the work you`re doing first hand, i`m really impressed. You can really see how much has gone into this restoration, and it will really look something when finally finished.

Take note fellow forumites, these lads are doing a first rate job, and i think it would be really nice when she`s finalyy on the Broads, we could arrange some sort of celebration.or something?.

Regards to all .......................... Neil.

• Like 3

cheers Neil.. It was nice to meet you guys too.. Dave too was surprised we had visitors from the forum and said too it was nice of you both to make the time to come and take a look :)

Thanks for your kind comments too.. we are trying to do a decent job as we will likely keep this boat for many years to come so want it to look modern and fresh (and hopefully stay that for some time!).. we also a bit of a perfectionnist so its got to look good :)

We are certainly up for a celebration when we bring her up as you say its been a long few months so will certainly enjoy and look forward to relaxing on her!   cheersbar

• Like 1

So today, I had a lay in and wondered over a bit late.. Dave was working from 9am (theres not many sundays I'll start that early)..  he managed to get the epoxy to dry on most of the panels cut yesterday and a few more coats of vanish. We also cut the last board for the wardrobe face.. I wasn't 100% sure what I was going to do where the fridge is.. I was thinking of keeping it open and just panel it in but we had a full sheet of oak faced ply which needed using so we was really left to use so we quickly decided to use it there.  We quickly batterned it out largely with oak batterns as we are bit limited with space and the fridge will need to left exposed (with a cupboard above it).. Our fridge if you remember was out of a skip (it works) so it may only last a couple of seasons (It was owned by a neighbour here and wasn't too well looked after)..

We then spent the rest of the day cutting the panel out for this cupboard.. (I managed to quickly use some scrap oak board and replace the fridge door face so it matches .. it was a quick easy job and now looks much better).

Other good bits today.. we showed a few fellow members around.. all of which impressed which is good! The chap who told me how to do the tick sticking has volunteered to do cut the oat mouldings for us which is good.. we can do it ourselves but time is time! So we need to get some timber and beer (mum can you grab me so wherrys when you are next up) and pass over and magically they will come back all cut! (I dont like getting others to do stuff as it weakens the satisfaction feeling down but it will save a bit of time so the odd little bit is ok!).. Our canopy friend came over and I've asked him to measure up to put covers on the front windows and hatch which he has promised to do before the winter...

post-28066-0-33201800-1411928302_thumb.j

post-28066-0-55693900-1411928311_thumb.j

post-28066-0-97977800-1411928322_thumb.j

post-28066-0-44442200-1411928333_thumb.j

• Like 3