Wayford Bridge and three other pubs hit problems

I am truly shocked, let's hope they can pull through this and stay open.

The Bridge Inn is probably our favourite pub on the Broads, been in there many times with kids and family in tow, have always been made to feel welcome with nothing being too much trouble.

All the very best to all the Management and Staff involved, worrying times for them I would imagine

Grace

• Like 3

We was in the Bridge last April when Mr White came from the car park door looked round moved to rear door looked round then went to the moorings looking back at pub and left. Phil then came out must have heard he was on site but he'd left. To be honest it looked like he wanted to be in and out fast possible.

The Wayford Bridge "refit" has not worked for us at all.  When the news came out that it Marco-White, we thought it was going to be a nice upmarket gastropub.  Far from it.

We like the Acle Bridge - great for Sunday lunch.

Feel for the staff who had no idea until the administrators walked in.

we told them so .......

one big cock up

looks like a vets inside and my local vets has more to please than the loacal wayford morgue

I feel sorry for the staf at all the pubs

mr marco is a numbties ......

stop sticking yer roads kill up on the wall bring back some ole pub atmosphere and the comfy seats listen to yer public and yer might have more custome and money in yer pocket

we use to use a lot till it got cocked up

not fit fro local nor boater alike nor haliday maker too

put in a bus load of blue rinsce brigad hoping for sneak of a self over rataed numpties rude cook to see ie mr white and it will do well ...ohh dear ......................

rite I,m off

It is never good to see any pub/hotel in administration, but four of the same group sets off alarm bells to me. As has been said The Bridge at Acle always busy, and many a good word has been said about it.                                                                                                          

When we were down last May I spoke to a fellow holidayer who had been to the Wayford pub and he said even for the Broads, the drinks prices were eye watering, had their one drink and left. He also said the decor did not go with the rest of the building. Thats your modern theme pub designers to blame for that I would hazzard a guess, but without seeing it for myself its not fair to pass judgement.

Let us hope ALL the jobs are saved, but admins are not noted for spending money on things like pubs. 

I would hope the Acle Bridge and the Wayford Inn are saved though. With the Lord Nelson and the Berney Inn also closed, its not good reading IMHO.

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

This is terrible news for staff and The Broads. 

It's not a surprise, however. I have not heard a good word about Wayford Bridge for a long time, (from either staff or customers).

On the flip side, all we hear is good news about Acle Bridge. Such a terrible situation. Hope something is sorted very soon.

• Like 1

The last time I went in the Wayford Bridge Inn, I was asked my opinion. I said the menu was pretentious and the décor was reminiscent of the gentlemen's toilets at Kings Cross station. (Jon, your likening it to a vets was, in my opinion, very kind to the pub but a little harsh on the local vets.)

The idiots behind this "makeover" should be taken to one side and left there. I suspect that Marco had little or nothing to do with it. 

I agree with the comments regarding Wayford Bridge Inn, it wasn't to our taste the last time we visited, we found it to be over priced and the décor interesting shall we say but I would much rather have the choice to moor there for a drink/meal than cruise past seeing it boarded up. As for the Bridge Inn, the thought of mooring there with the pub boarded up is tragic, that pub just about caters for everyone young and old.

Once again I feel for the people who's jobs are under threat and hope for a happy ending in all of this.

Grace

• Like 4

:hardhat:  pirate

I actually enjoyed wayford bridge when we up in the summer, First time I've been in there though and will (hopefully) go back. I do understand it's not a traditional norfolk pub but I enjoyed it, it was different and different is interesting, to me at least! (although I did get wasted and can't remember too much  :wasted:!).  

Unfortunately we haven't been into the acle pub for many years as the last time I didn't fancy it.. (too many kids for me), However it would sad to see any of these close and hope they can get it sorted and save them.  Good luck to them cheers

• Like 1

The fact of the matter is this is just part of a wider list of assets that Mr White will have – and the whole point of the exercise is of course to make money.  But when you have many interests dotted about some do better than others – even within the same area (just as some Tesco shops do better than others despite all looking much the same selling much the same things).

I suspect that Mr White has little to do with daily operations but will have been told no doubt that he and his management knew very well what the state of the pubs was as far as turnover.  Perhaps other areas he is in business in may be not doing very well and money from one is taken to prop another up etc and it has all very quickly become unstable.

Administrators don’t get called in until things are very serious – but the staff had no idea until they arrived.  This all sounds to me as if management higher up the chain has really let the businesses down and the staff working hard on the front line too.  I have worked for a large company in the past in such a position and moral drops off a cliff with the unknown and worry looming over ones head before you get informed suddenly who is going or staying or what the future is – it’s horrible.

The worry is that where you have such problems financially you might have a large chain want to come in for best pickings – can you imagine if for example, a Harvester was to pop up in place of the Bridge Inn at Acle?

They could see it did well and make a good offer the Administrators who may like the look of it – then somewhere like Wayford gets left behind but may be too much of a costly option for an individual to then take on and try and raise up – so it just closes waiting like many a pub to be bought.

Very uncertain times when I thought things in the Broads were looking up.

• Like 3

The worry is that where you have such problems financially you might have a large chain want to come in for best pickings – can you imagine if for example, a Harvester was to pop up in place of the Bridge Inn at Acle?

Perish the thought of that bog standard menu of Harvesters taking over the Acle Bridge Inn!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Regarding his other interests ,he is featured in P and O brochures having his picture on many pages promoting his themed restaurants on most ships and appears in person on cruises ,so I would imagine that the pubs involved would not feature as high on the list as if it was your only business interest.

We had a night at the Wayford Bridge Inn late summer last year and we enjoyed it! Yes it was pricey and a tad fanciful along with the expected "Chefy" touches. Two of us had burgers which were declared very good and I had a very pleasant steak. The decor is a bit designer but reasonably comfy and there was also a reasonable area to participate of the weed! Add to this that there is an area where you can just sit and natter and imbibe without feeling you are takingup eating space! To top it all, the man himself was there talking to customers. I have had much worse nights in some supposedly typical Broads pubs. Whilst I still much prefer the likes of Surlingham Ferry and Rockland Broads New Inn, I would not give it the very negative responses that appear here and elsewhere.

Just my thoughts of course. We all have our preferences. This is illustrated by the fact that I have never found the Bridge at Acle to be a particularly welcoming place especially if you don't wish to eat.

• Like 3

Always worries me when you get a "big" named chef wanting to get involved with popular pubs/eateries

They seem to have the idea that because their name is connected with it people are going to flock there and create huge profits. As soon as the profits level off or even drop a little they don't want to know any more.

I would have thought that someone who feels the need to advertise gravy stock to earn a bob or two should not have got involved in so many businesses in the first place.

My question is have any of these four pubs significantly improved since his involvement ?

When we are down on the Broads our holiday is not complete without a meals at the Bridge at Acle.           My wife looks forward to that as much as being afloat again.

Hoping the Bridge will continue in the manner to which she has become accustomed.

Jeff

• Like 6