Name and shame

Wussername

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/pensioner_fined_for_speeding_on_the_norfolk_broads_at_6mph_1_3943864

One of the few occasions where someone who has flouted the regulations has been named and shamed.

A good or a bad step?

A bit harsh.....two miles over the limit?

Well deserved?

Are we able to calculate our speed so accurately?

Would we be wise to invest in GPS to avoid prosecution.

Old Wussername.

Just a thought, how much earlier, by going 50% above the speed limit,  did the boat arrive at the bridge? Two minutes, ten minutes? Even at ten minutes then how much would the tide have risen in that time? 'There is no fool like an old fool' is a saying that springs to mind on this one, he should have known better. The article reads that the bloke was warned but still carried on, no excuse.

• Like 2

No sympathy whatsoever. It's a 4 mph zone and for very good reasons.

The BA got this one absolutely right IMHO...let's hope they catch a few more as blatantly over the speed limit as this. Nobody needs a speed calculator to see that his/her wash is excessive. The old boy was selfish and had no consideration for other river users.

A fine of £120? He got off very light... :mad:

As for Archant playing the OAP card...ye Gods...dangerous wash isn't age-related.

• Like 2

I agree Matt. No defence really. However if you were driving at 45 in a 30 in think that you would be aware. 4 to 6, dunno!

Depends on experience I suppose.

Old Wussername.

I think the thing is you would be aware in a car as there is a speedo. You should be aware in a boat through wash etc but you could easily carry a GPS to be sure.

• Like 2

Just my point of view of course.........

We can be doing 4mph in our Sheerline with almost no wash but

a day boat at 4mph causes a large wash. Saying that, we could

up our speed to nearly 6mph before we created the same amount

of wash but we would be fined for speeding but the day boat wouldn't.

Fair?

Yes I have exceeded the speed limits as I suspect many(most) others

have too. But...I'm always mindful of the amount of wash I create.

I have had a Garmin GPS152H fitted for the last 3 years to give me

an accurate speed-over-ground(amongst it's other apps) alongside

the paddlewheel speed log already fitted to the boat. The difference

between the two can be a huge amount especially where the tide runs fast.

I'm pleased the guy was fined but annoyed that he got off so lightly as

this happens a lot here at Wroxham.

post-199-0-20928300-1423131587_thumb.jpg

Being a resident boat owner, he should have know better and age is no excuse. Speed limits are put there for a reason, to prevent bank erosion and moored boats from crashing against jetties. If he had taken notice of the ranger and slowed down when ordered to, and apologised instead of mouthing off, saying he was trying to make the bridge before the rising tide, he might have just been given a caution. No excuse really. I bet he doesn't speed again.  

• Like 1

If I recall correctly (which of course I do) the nearest signposted 6mph stretch is just a bit below St Bennetts Abbey.

The fellow was going through Wroxham bridge, so it makes me wonder just how many speed limit signs he "didn't notice".

Na, he got off far too lightly. It's a pity there weren't a few damage claims in his wake.

• Like 2

I fit these GPS units to boats where I can, this a day boat that I have almost finished, she now up sale at £4995ono if anyone might be interested.  True the amount of wash differs from boat to boat but the speed limits are there for more safety reason than just issues caused through wash.

post-388-0-85249900-1423156231_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-29356900-1423156375_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-58506500-1423156521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've got to be honest I've never heard of these two cameras between Wroxham and Horning before.

Are they proper 'speed cameras' - cameras placed and paid for by the Broads Authority or just a sort of of CCTV camera on the front of someone's lawn.

Be keen to know more about these hitherto (to me) mysterious cameras.

" but the speed limits are there for more safety reason than just issues caused through wash."

Sorry Mark but that's one we will have to disagree on. I feel sure that although there will be those who agree with you and those with me so I doubt we will find a definitive answer, but I think the opposite to your view.

" but the speed limits are there for more safety reason than just issues caused through wash."

Sorry Mark but that's one we will have to disagree on. I feel sure that although there will be those who agree with you and those with me so I doubt we will find a definitive answer, but I think the opposite to your view.

Now I read it back I did miss a letter that does change the context of what I was saying a little! 'reasons' as in the wash is not the only reason and and there are other issues with regards to safety for which the limits should be adhered to.

As you move forward in age Mark, me included, your fingers know what to type. But as Eric Morecambe said they are right, but not necessarily in the right order. Or summat like that :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Hi Iain

The Eric Morecambe quote came about during the Andre Previn (Mr Preview) sketch where Eric was "playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order"

Classic sketch in the Morecambe & Wise hall of fame, sadly we will never see the likes of them again.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2