Removing moderators hat!

The big trouble is that in the past he has been allowed to get away with it, as had other presenters - other things, and now while the reaction may be a bit over the top  - the BBC have to appear squeaky clean, while I like the program I have always felt that JC was a bit of an a**e.

I feel if he has broken the rules, he should pay for it. 

Grendel

I am no lad but I love Top Gear; I love the anarchy and the banter, and it makes me laugh more than any other programme on TV. I think Clarkson has become a bit of a caricature of himself and was riding for a fall, and obviously a spat needs investigation, canning the show makes no sense to me.

• Like 3

I have my own opinions on Jeremy Clarkson, but they`re NOT based on his screen pasona, they`re based on him being fiercely patriotic, and being a fierce supporter of our armed forces. He`s also a patron of many of the armed forces charities, and is a man who speaks his mind, and who like me, does`nt give a stuff about political correctness.

One of the big issues with this is the very fact that Clarksons political views, and that of the BBC are vastly different, which have led to clashes before. The BBC is rotten with corruption, and many of its much loved presenters are in real life, the most obnoxious gready grasping individuals you could ever have the misfortune to meat. One of our family members has been in the entertainment industry for many years, and is good friends with many well known actors, actresses and presenters despite being very much unknown by the public himself, and to hear some of the things he`s told us is quite disturbing, which makes you understand why there are so many much loved entertainers going to prison for commiting some very vile offences of recent.

There are other disturbing issues relating to the production staff at Top Gear, things like the Eenie  meenie mine mo fiasco, which was not even anything to do with the actual broadcast, but for some strange reason, it was filmed, and used against him. I wonder how many of US have used that saying recently, but have we done so with racial intent,?, get real.  Another point in question was the number plate on Clarksons Porche on the Patagonia special. The simple way out of that would be to find out exactly WHEN that car was first registered with the number H982FKL, and WHO registered it, but the BBC would`nt do it, why, would it have been proved that it was the production staff who registered it prior to being shipped out there?.  Also, i would like to know, while they were filming, just exactly WHO it was who informed the Argetinian gangs of the number plate and it percieved relevance to the Falklands war?.

The simple fact is the BBC is a dispicable orgnisation which should be closed down taking away the need for a tv license.

Rant finally over.

• Like 7

I would seriously doubt that May and Hammond would agree to do the show without him.

The format, it seems, is owned wholly by the BBC (after a buyout of Clackson and Willman's 50% stake in the format in 2012).

Reports also suggest that in 2012, contracts were signed between May, Hammond and Clarkson to produce the show for another three years.

As the format is owned by the BBC, a direct shift to another channel would not be possible unless the format were to be sold. Purely on the basis of hard cash, TG is liklely to be too valuable for the BBC to lose. Internationally, the format is the three of them, so changing the lineup might be a big risk too. So, perhaps the BBC will consider selling the format wholesale?

Clearly, we shouldn't condone violence (if that's what happened), but Clarkson's outspokenness should be applauded. In a world full of political correctness where few are willing to speak out for fear of being legally or criminally challenged, Clarkson speaks his mind without great concern. Perhaps he is a the voice of the silent majority. Perhaps.

If you take Clarkson as an entertainer, then I find him immensely entertaining. Many of the things he says are no worse than a stand-up comedian, but because he works on what the BBC loosely calls a "factual" programme, his words are often taken with more severity. 

TG is emensely entertaining - it stopped being a factual car show after the first series of the new format (before May joined). It's also informative; for instance, I had absoluely no idea that "slope" was a derogatory term dating back to the Vietnam war. Now, I get the joke, if indeed it was intended. :-)

I guess that the difference between TG and most workplaces where there is banter is that TG is flmed and put on TV. If you put a bunch of hidden cameras in a buildiing site, metalworking shop or boatshed, you'd probably get similar material.

Have I signed the petition? No. I don't care enough. The format is losing its edge and Clarkson dosen't need the job and will find replacement income without looking too hard. Will I watch TG (or similar) if it moves to Sky? No. I will not give the Murdoch empire my money (not that this will concern it). But what is certain is that an awful lot of people care enough not to lose Clarkson from the BBC or TG. As I write, 660,498 signatures have been added to the petition on Change,Org making it the fastest growing petition in the web site's history. That's around half the number of people in the UK eligible to vote in elections but remain unregistered.

• Like 3

I am as usual confused. Should not both parties have been suspended until the alleged "incident" has been investigated.

Oh by the way I like Jeremy Clarkson at least his non pc tv persona having never met him in person.

A completely  unfounded view of a BBC producer would be a left wing BBC toady in my view of course, oops I don't usually nail my colours to the mast like that.

• Like 2

I do find it rather sad that over 600,000 (and rising) people condone the resurection of sir jeremy regardless of whether he threw a punch at a colleague or not.

Violence should not be condoned ...... if it is proven that he did nothing wrong then I would expect him to return!!

On the subject of political correctness I am of an age where several things i was brought up to believe to be OK is now not acceptable.

However we live in a very different world now, tollerence, respect & understanding are very important qualities to aspire to if we are ever to live peacefully alongside other cultures. Outspoken, intollerant and loutish behaviour should be discouraged ..... especially in mainstream media.

• Like 2

My dad has always believed that if a show has lost ratings they'll create a scandal around it and the ratings will soon be back up again, Mrs Jonzo's spot on, The last two posts sum it up pretty damn well in my opinion, well said Smelly  :clap

Grace

Did the BBC blow this up? I'd guess they did. Why? Clarkson will have been 'feeling his feet' as grandma used to say, power playing, I would guess that too. His contract is due to end, and like Jonathan Ross he has got a bit too hard to handle, maybe.

Who leaked the racist rhyme? That would be interesting know. Should he have used it? No, I think not.

The BEEB take a very dim view of hitting people, I heard of one major star manager who was banned for such an action, there and then.

I am left wondering what was in the can for the rest of the series that had got the powers so twitchy, they could have done the Thursday show filming with May and Hammond, unless of course they closed ranks and refused? Intriguing..and we will probably never know. :)

• Like 1

"Eenie meany miney mo" is a 'dip' that goes back well over a century. It was used in playgrounds by all manner of children without any racist motive whatsoever. If you are of an age where you used this dip in it's original wording, it will be quite difficult not to use the same offending word should you recite it now. A conscious effort not to use that word might well actually cause you use it. All that incident was about was someone trying to give Clarkson a hard time.

Now for this current issue.

I would imagine Clarkson to be one who has a short fuse and does not suffer fools easily. Further I would also imagine that anyone working with the man would be well aware of this.

I think it fairly unlikely that Mr Clarkson just thought to himself "I think I'll just go over there and hit someone", so any level of provocation must be born in mind. Without knowing what went on before the fracas, any condemnation of either party is both unfair and unwise.

• Like 2

It's bad enough to have the country run by the succession of PM's we've had, (of all parties).

The thought of a "celebrity" like Clarkson running the country is as worrying as an actor like Ronald Regan as president of the US.

It's frightening to think that enough people used their vote to enable it. :roll:

It's bad enough to have the country run by the succession of PM's we've had, (of all parties).

The thought of a "celebrity" like Clarkson running the country is as worrying as an actor like Ronald Regan as president of the US.

It's frightening to think that enough people used their vote to enable it. :roll:

Clarkson would never be in the position to run the country, but he could join the other joker's like Cameron, Milliband, Clegg & Farage.

• Like 1

Clarkson would never be in the position to run the country, but he could join the other joker's like Cameron, Milliband, Clegg & Farage.

For the first time in my voting life, I really wish there was a "none of the above" option.

It's often been a difficult choice in the past, but it's bl**dy impossible now.

For the first time in my voting life, I really wish there was a "none of the above" option.

Hi Strowager,

Don't you feel that your coment is the general opinion by the vast majority and this is reflected by the turnout at the polls be they local or general elections.

Getting back on topic.

I see that Cameron has commented on the Jeremy Clarkson saga.

I wonder if he also had a word with the BBC if so I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall.

The BBC have backed themselves into a corner with no way out and are loosing what ever credability they thought they may have had.

The comments made by other forum members regarding what has been going on in the last couple of years at the BBC in my opinion ought to mean that heads should roll if not criminal charges brought to bear.

Regards

Alan

.....Don't you feel that your comment is the general opinion by the vast majority and this is reflected by the turnout at the polls be they local or general elections........

I'm not sure Alan.

Over the last 50 years, General Election turnout has fluctuated between 60 and 80 %, so is actually fairly consistent in broad terms.

Most of the people I know that don't bother to  vote are just too lazy to do so, rather than being in a quandary over who to vote for.

I've never missed a ballot box, General, Council, or Parish, hence my despair at not being able to decide for the first time in almost 50 years.

Absolutely right Strowager.

I have long thought a "no confidence in any candidate" would be a desirable option. It would give purpose to voting for those like minded people.

It is however essential to register a vote to avoid indesirable extremists winning the ballot by default.

I believe it should be compusory to vote, at least in the general election. However in this day and age I feel technology needs to be embrased to encourage the new generation to get involved.