Another lot that appear not to be able to read

LadyPatricia

The bits that tell me what to believe overall are a. The helicopter crew considered them to be a danger and didn't airlift. b. The awful state of the boat inside and the comment to its owner.

Totally agree with both "A" & "B"

But all same sex crews cant be judged by the minority percentage that are trouble. Because a fair few families can be far worse that the majority of all same sex crews I have encountered on the broads.

That said the minority percentage of same sex crews, do make the headlines the majority percentage of same sex crews go by unnoticed.

Charlie

• Like 3

These idiots probably couldn't be left because, in their state, they might have decided to walk out across the mud with disintegrating results.

Would have stopped them breeding! Okay, that's a joke, in poor taste, so don't take it too seriously, please!!.

That the helicopter crew wouldn't lift them speaks volumes in my opinion

• Like 4

"Although the second stands a better chance of getting off tonight". Quite prophetic on my behalf as it turns out. It has now just gone past the moorings at The Berney Arms.  A word of advice to anyone passing moorings. When passing on a flood tide you need to slow down well in advance otherwise your wash catches you up and still causes major disturbance to moored boats.

I purposely posted a photo of the second boat shot from a distance to spare their blushes. They have just lost that right.

post-35-0-14899500-1435696033_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Have to agree with Charlie.

Some years ago we were moored at Loddon when a boat came in with half a dozen lads on it.

Said to my wife "Watch this, it could be a good laugh to see this lot do a stern-on mooring.

The lad at the helm organised the others perfectly, even to the point of telling one of his crew to LOWER the mud weight and not THROW it. He even gave one of them a clip round the ear for carelessly kicking an empty can into the water. Made the lad fish it out before he was allowed another one.

They were a quiet, respectful group of lads who caused no problem to anyone whatsoever.

Just shows first impressions can be wrong

Jeff 

• Like 4

why should the second boat know better?

did they have a comprehensive hand over?

There was a time, a long, long time ago, when one private boat owner could almost take it for granted that another would probably know what they were doing, not so today.

Surely no sane person would buy and drive off in car without knowing what they were doing so why should it be any different with a boat?

Re those comprehensive handovers, a pity that all those selling boats don't also offer that as part of the package. 

• Like 1

Quite right Peter.  Anyone with a few quid can go and buy a boat and deal with the consequences - both their own, and on others.

Should basic training be mandatory for boat OWNERS?  Should the level of training have to increase with power/size of vessel?  Does it work on the continent?

Powerboat 2?

Day skipper?

Helmsman?

CEVNI?

• Like 1

edit....

Re those comprehensive handovers, a pity that all those selling boats don't also offer that as part of the package. 

This is something that really gets my goat. There are a number of people who will spend their life's savings on buying a stunning vessel; it looks fantastic in a straight line and probably makes them feel marvellous.

But they can't handle it for toffee.

We see a lot of this around Brammerton. £85,000 cruiser, recently purchased and not one penny spent on training. Watch them bounce off the quay heading, break their VHF aerial on the overhanging trees.

The second private cruiser on the mud in Breydon serves as vindication somewhat against all those that believe that the Hire Yards don't do enough to stop this kind of thing. Mistakes happen to everybody and regardless of whether they have a comprehensive handover or not.

• Like 8

It's strange that the rules aren't the same for boats as it is for cars... the RYA courses don't cost a great deal; if you want to hire a motor home you have to provide your driving License - can't see any reason why it shouldn't be the same for boats other than it would kill the holiday hire trade...

This is something that really gets my goat. There are a number of people who will spend their life's savings on buying a stunning vessel; it looks fantastic in a straight line and probably makes them feel marvellous.

But they can't handle it for toffee.

We see a lot of this around Brammerton. £85,000 cruiser, recently purchased and not one penny spent on training. Watch them bounce off the quay heading, break their VHF aerial on the overhanging trees.

We see a lot at Oulton Broad too. Worth chatting with the harbour master about boats coming through the Lock, he has some real horror stories. £85,000.00 plus boats coming in from the salt-side, boats that could, heaven forbid, go to sea. The Bank Holiday gatherings can be quite entertaining! For the sakes of their pockets as well as their families these people really should take lessons.

Fellow living near me bought himself a sports-cruiser, oh dear. He bounced off moored boats and ran into boats on moorings. He then had the audacity to ask the Harbour Master to move nearby private mooring buoys so he didn't have to steer around them, the plonker! He has since decided to use his boat at sea, presumably more room and less to hit.