Another lot that appear not to be able to read

LadyPatricia

:blush:Well I have been on the Broads (Northern) for several years now on our little 20` weekender. This year SWMBO would like to go to "the South" so I will be tackling Breydon for the first time..... I will be taking all the advice that the Forum can throw at me, don't want to be another snap on social media....

:blush:Well I have been on the Broads (Northern) for several years now on our little 20` weekender. This year SWMBO would like to go to "the South" so I will be tackling Breydon for the first time..... I will be taking all the advice that the Forum can throw at me, don't want to be another snap on social media....

Try this, Stuart:

It will save more pages!   :wave

In answer to the Op's question, I also don't understand how this happens, other than an emergency re Boat breakdown etc, how on earth do they manage it. I was always told by my Dad, a bit of common sense, take notice of the rule book and whatever the engineers tell you at the Boat yard and don't assume because you've hired a few Boats over the years, you know it all, good advice in my opinion.

If anyone has a question no matter how stupid you may think it is, there will always be a kind soul on here to come up with probably just as stupid an answer lol, so ask away

I try not to tar all Stag and Hens with the same brush, I've said this before but we have met some brilliant same sex Boats over the years and equally some families from hell, as you probably know I have skippered a Hen Boat and we behaved impeccably  :liar  :angel: ok, so we got caught speeding once lol

Grace

• Like 3

Outside of the broads it's actually quite normal for people to take to the soft mud for a number of reasons. Including; doing repairs/maintenance to stern drives (You put a flat board on the mud and you can walk on it without sinking - Not that I recommend trying though) (even antifouling and changing seacocks), to doing a bit of sunbathing and even getting a nice nights sleep.   I guess it's probably discouraged on breydon because it's a RSPB nature reserve (and seems that everyone panics), so although these hirers have clearly messed up the other picture floating around of a private craft could just be relaxing.. .  Breydon is a lovely spot and I would love to spend a couple of hours laid back enjoying it, instead of rushing through... (one day lol cheers).  

• Like 3

Outside of the broads it's actually quite normal for people to take to the soft mud for a number of reasons. Including; doing repairs/maintenance to stern drives (You put a flat board on the mud and you can walk on it without sinking - Not that I recommend trying though) (even antifouling and changing seacocks), to doing a bit of sunbathing and even getting a nice nights sleep.   I guess it's probably discouraged on breydon because it's a RSPB nature reserve (and seems that everyone panics), so although these hirers have clearly messed up the other picture floating around of a private craft could just be relaxing.. .  Breydon is a lovely spot and I would love to spend a couple of hours laid back enjoying it, instead of rushing through... (one day lol cheers).  

They do it in Holland as a matter of course:

http://www.drascombe.nl/fotos/dukelein2gr.jpg

Have once spent the night on the Breydon mudflats, Burgh end, magic! 

Another great set of mudflats is down at Blythburgh, even better than Breydon.

• Like 1

That looks a bit hard there though Peter? We do it a lot here on the medway although it's a bit softer so even a bilge keeler can do it here! Some of the best nights sleep I've had have been sitting on the mud .. Having done it at Breydon.. can we do it without getting everyone all excited? (I don't mind the stares and the forum posts as it will be worth it!!) cheers

That looks a bit hard there though Peter? We do it a lot here on the medway although it's a bit softer so even a bilge keeler can do it here! Some of the best nights sleep I've had have been sitting on the mud .. Having done it at Breydon.. can we do it without getting everyone all excited? (I don't mind the stares and the forum posts as it will be worth it!!) cheers

wrong type of mud for a joy ride over there,but it's off
  • Like 1

When my kids were young they used to wear lengths of timber on their feet, like snow shoes, so they could walk on the soft mud when they were collecting old bottles that have been on or in the mud for years. They called it 'splodging' and great fun it was too.

• Like 4

JM - down here they're called platchers - very handy for digging a bucket of lugworm. Although when I used to play on the Deben and Orwell we had a special scrubbing brush " Oops, quick someone get over and scrub the boottopping!"

Mistakes, errors of judgement and breakdowns do happen, the concequences on Breydon however can result in the pictures we have seen recently.

Owners & Hirers do make mistakes, know I have and I have yet to meet many people that can be classified as "Peter Perfect". 

From what I have seen and reported the Hire Industry do go out of their way the ensure that their clients are given the full facts and I am sure they will have backup documentation of what to do in emergencies in the boats hand over log.

Yes there can be bad owners & hirers, however with owners if they damage the boat or others boats in the end they pay for it one way or another.

A tidy boat, is usually an indication that it is well run no matter of its age and that its crew does care about the boat.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

When my kids were young they used to wear lengths of timber on their feet, like snow shoes, so they could walk on the soft mud when they were collecting old bottles that have been on or in the mud for years. They called it 'splodging' and great fun it was too.

in my home town they have a race called the Maldon mud race,just thinking maybe an idea for Breydon,goggle it it's great fun for all

http://www.maldonmudrace.com/

Edited by BroadScot
Thought I would add the link to the Mudrace
  • Like 2

JM - down here they're called platchers - very handy for digging a bucket of lugworm. Although when I used to play on the Deben and Orwell we had a special scrubbing brush " Oops, quick someone get over and scrub the boottopping!"

I apologise for whatever damage I did to the children of Felixstowe during my years teaching at Deben High School in the late 1980s ;)

• Like 2