Inconsiderate sailing?

alexandlorna

JM as a sailie that does not need a pump out toilet how do you pollute less? Unless you clench tight.

The broads must be shared.

I always try to be kind to all river users.

I do agree with you, the BA talks better than doing.

paul

We have one of those take home and empty Thetford portable thunder box affairs, or it's an excuse for visiting the pub.

JM as a sailie that does not need a pump out toilet how do you pollute less? Unless you clench tight.

The broads must be shared.

I always try to be kind to all river users.

I do agree with you, the BA talks better than doing.

paul

Bicycle clips ???

• Like 1

I would say that us sailies cause less bank erosion for the BA to shell out on because our wake has less energy:

Out of necessity sailing hulls are more efficient - compromises are not usually made to afford more space for jacuzzis, patio doors etc. This means less power is required to drive them so there is less energy in the wake at a given speed. This is before considering that the use of fossil fuels is optional and that while exercising the wind option they are typically moving slower than the speed limit applied to a boat under power (so less wake energy again).

As covered above we also serve to reduce the wake of other boats!

• 1 month later...

If you can't make progress across a broad... drop your mud weight and wait there, be careful though... just in case there is boat there... lol...

On the question of dropping the mudweight and waiting: I did just that on Malthouse Broad the other week only to be subject to a ramming attempt by one of Hunter's boats - Sundew as I recall. Fortunately, I could see what was about to happen and was able to leap onto the gunwale of our boat and grab the sailie's forestay. I wasn't able to stop the impact entirely but managed to change a full-on hit from his bowsprit into a grazing blow. It seems that the bloke "in charge" had let his lad have a turn at the helm on a busy Saturday afternoon and the lad panicked when he found himself heading straight for us.

If we hadn't have been there, no doubt we would now have an unexplained hole in the hull to take care of and no witnesses whatsoever.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We stayed at The Ivy House Country Hotel for my birthday on Tuesday and managed to walk down to the Broad and look at the yachts of which there were many,   this thankfully was before the rain came..

There is so much space on the Broad there is no need for any yachtsman/woman to actual hound a boat as was happening here in my photo.    All I kept seeing was the side of the hire boat as it turned ever further towards the shore and this yacht seemed to be attached to him, but of course wasn't.    As soon as the hire boat was really far over then the yacht then shot left across the Broad.    I felt it was all totally unnecessary and could have put this hirer off.

I am afraid these days you never know who is watching.

Today hasnt been too bad.   We had a good rain shower when I popped to Morrisons but the sun has been out from then on, so may be for all holiday makers we need to say a few to bring on the sunshine for them all.

So I have a question for you sailies as I am pretty disappointed in you to be honest...:norty:

If I burn diesel or petrol then there is less of it left.

You use a lot of wind, but why does it still carry on blowing and annoying the rest of us? If you use wind, why doesn't it get lighter? Surely if you turn wind energy into propulsion it has to get lighter?

Science and nature have a lot to answer for - or maybe I never listened in school:naughty::naughty:

• Like 2

So I have a question for you sailies as I am pretty disappointed in you to be honest...:norty:

If I burn diesel or petrol then there is less of it left.

You use a lot of wind, but why does it still carry on blowing and annoying the rest of us? If you use wind, why doesn't it get lighter? Surely if you turn wind energy into propulsion it has to get lighter?

Science and nature have a lot to answer for - or maybe I never listened in school:naughty::naughty:

Science night classes methinks Mark this winter for you!:naughty:

cheersIain

I saw this yesterday on The Wherry Cam.      Over the other side of the Broad (Topliner side) was a hirer being pursued by a yacht.     This poor chap kept pulling nearer and near to the shore.     I felt very sorry for them.hirer_pursued_by_yacht.thumb.jpg.00874be

Monica, I'm not convinced that that MAFI is not privately owned, indeed I suspect that particular one, with a blue hull, is owned by a competitor, possibly the owner of both boats. If that were not the case then all the MAFI had to do was to throttle back, which would have been the polite thing to have done, and allow the WAFI to cross his bow. However, in this case I'm pretty sure both boats are related.

Edited by JennyMorgan

A closer look at the picture under zoom reveals a White hull, not Blue and some writing in the top left hand corner on the stern. I would lean towards it being a hire boat and therefore probably not with the sail boat. However as Peter said all the boat needed to do was throttle back and let the sail boat pass in front, however without seeing any earlier pictures or seeing where they both started from it is possible that the sail boat is the overtaking vessel and then in that case totally in the wrong. As any overtaking vessels need to keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken, whilst the vessel being over taken should maintain a steady course. The overtaking byelaws apply to sailys as much as motor boats

Edited by kfurbank

A closer look at the picture under zoom reveals a White hull, not Blue and some writing in the top left hand corner on the stern. I would lean towards it being a hire boat and therefore probably not with the sail boat. However as Peter said all the boat needed to do was throttle back and let the sail boat pass in front, however without seeing any earlier pictures or seeing where they both started from it is possible that the sail boat is the overtaking vessel and then in that case totally in the wrong. As any overtaking vessels need to keep out of the way of the vessel being overtaken, whilst the vessel being over taken should maintain a steady course. The overtaking byelaws apply to sailys as much as motor boats

I would still rather suspect a hire boat as as soon as he/she had the opportunity they bolted for all their worth out of the Broad.    Inexperience comes into it I must admit and anyone with experience should have at least had a go at easing off and letting said sail boat on their way, but the obvious always doesn't come to mind when you are not certain.

On Tuesday there were three hire boats mud weighted with sail boats tied along side.  None of which looked anything like this one to my memory.

Edited by Hylander