Inconsiderate sailing?

alexandlorna

Polly I can assure you on Oulton Broad there was no pig headedness on our part, atleast not till the safety boat stopped accross our bow and prevented us from getting out of the way before the racers were back upon us, that was the cause of the altercation and it was not at all necessary. That led to my written complaint which the club ignored, probably out of pig headedness!!

I have to say Its rare a sailey ever gives me direction and very few even acknowledge my presence, however when I do get a smile or a wave it is gratefully recieved and reciprocated.

I hadnt considered dropping the mudweight and waiting, if i find myself in that situation again I will probably do that but really all that broad, could they not race in such a way that theres still a way around them?

We to have had a run in with said safety boat.......

Tan has got braver with regards to yachts, but at some time she will hand the helm over to me (sometimes the only way I can sit in the seat).

I have not had many problems with yachts, the larger ones do give signals where they would like you to go, it is nice to have a wave, but there are times when the crew are up to their necks doing things with ropes and the sails so it is not always practical.

We have only had one encounter with a yacht where the conditions were such that it should have not been racing, this was just below Acle, I was forced to go full throttle across the river because the yacht coming towards me was not in control with almost the top of the mast just inches from the water, a safety boats was on the radio asking for more safety boats.

The look on the crews faces was just pure panic.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

It goes both ways.

Peter, the 3RR you skippered we were hit before the start and after the start. both times by stinkies who just decided the correct means of making progress through a river full of other boats was to gun the engines and hope for the best. In the second ones case he only just cleared us with the boat however the dingy broadsided us.

On another occasion I have seen a saily take TWO penalty turns into a boat who had stopped twice to avoid him only moving forwards when the sailor had appeared to take a proper course.

On another occasion I have seen a saily take TWO penalty turns into a boat who had stopped twice to avoid him only moving forwards when the sailor had appeared to take a proper course.

There are those who do use some right grubby tactics, hardly an attractive facet of racing, and why I have increasingly taken to cruising. Tactical fouling is an unfortunate development.

We all know that there is 'bloody mindedness' in both camps. We also know that there is ignorance in both camps too, but surely we should allow for the IQ (ignorance quotient) to be greater within the stinkie camp.

It is an accepted fact that a lot of hirers are on the broads for the first time. their first experience of boat handling. What do the sailors expect of these novices?

THE SAILORS THOUGHTS.

I'm tacking, this is a race.

Power gives way to sail,

The skipper craft coming towards me traveling in the same direction will have assessed my tack and will have calculated where I shall be when I'm ready to go about.

He will have adjusted his speed so as to reach my stern just after I go about and will be able to pass me at that point.

He will understand that as this is a race we are all being competitive. He will also have realised that the other 20 sailing boats all tacking, all heading in the same direction and each determined to win, will be concentrating on what they're doing and will be too busy to indicate to him what we expect of him.

THE STINKIE SKIPPERS THOUGHTS.

Wow, isn't that pretty, all those different colours.

Where's my camera?

Where did I put my beer?

:hardhat:

• Like 2

Not all Stinkie Skippers behave as MM would have you believe......For a start I always know where I've put my beer and I am knowledgeable enough to know when to run and hide in the cabin and most importantly of all, when it's safe to come out again  :naughty:

Grace

• Like 5

If you think motoring through a flotilla of racing yachts is scary spare a thought for the poor, quiet competitors who are being bullied, josttled and foul mouthed to by the loud mouthed alpha males who strive by every means to be at the head of the pack!!

We have a lovely old wooden cruiser that we lavish a lot of love and attention on, did'nt look quite as beautiful last week with two bowsprit dents in its hull from a yacht that just kept going regardless of the damage caused, still I am happy to take this in our stride as it is only time and filler and paint to put right.

What I do occasionally find irksome though, is, although most yachty types sit a lot lower in the water, they still manage to look down on me!

• Like 2

What about the speed limits??

Surely if they're racing in a 20 knot wind then they would be speeding!!

The speed limit byelaws only apply to motor vessels. A yacht under power is a motor vessel, something not all yachtsmen seem to appreciate!

As old Stinkies...that's the boat, me and especially Uncle Albert, it's not so much the flappy things that phase me, but the other stinkies that just push through while I'm timing my maneuver around the antics of the poor sod who can't afford an engine. If I'm honest I quite enjoy the challenge of negotiating my way through the flappies and admire their boating skills. I also have every intention of learning to sail so I can appreciate what they are attempting to do. Very much like dart players at my local pub, I will wait until they've thrown before making my way to the bar. However should last orders ring...get the hell out of the way I'm going to the bar, even if you are on a three dart finish to win a plastic trophy with simulated onyx base.

• Like 3

Why do sailies pay less tolls when they use much more of the river over a given distance?

I shall now retire to my own private bomb shelter.

paul

Because we are the cream!

Allegedly us sailies create less demands on the system.  That or Boris has persueded the powers that be that they too should have a carbon tax. Actually, & this is a fact, the Broads Forum, an inhouse Broads Authority talking shop, is debating whether to call for a higher toll on twin screw motor craft. Now, that could be an interesting topic!!!

I would have thought that if twin screw motor craft were to pay a higher toll then it follows that twin mast yachts should do likewise. Now there's a thought....