For just £3.00

Labrador

This time of year we get inundated with charity pleas for all sorts of charitable appeals. I give to three charities only. Should I feel guilty not giving to the majority? You see images of children dying from this and that, collectively they are just over the the top. What are your thoughts?

Good point Fred. I seem to remember, even years ago, there was some debate about Oxfam and the amount of overheads they had. When you see the number of chuggers on our streets it makes you wonder who is paying for it all.

Personally I subscribe to one charity which is the local (not national) branch of the RSPCA. I make a monthly standing order payment direct into their local bank account so hopefully there should be no overheads involved.

• Like 3

To be honest it breaks my heart to see the images we are bombarded with on a daily basis, but if I gave three pounds here or a fiver there I wouldn't be able to feed my own kids and at the end of the day they are my first priority and main concern. What really gets me is when you get film stars/celebrities with millions of pounds in the bank appealing to us to give what we can, why on earth don't they donate a million or two, you can bet your life they wouldn't have to dig as deep as the average person trying to earn enough to feed themselves let alone people all over the world.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh but there's just too many endless appeals

Grace

p.s I do give to a cancer charity now and again :rolleyes:

• Like 9

The £2/£3 a month bugs me on the adverts.

I have my views on these but if I donate ££ a month be thankful for it please and not use my money to send me mail with colour flyers etc use the money for what I sent it for - Are you listening RNLI use email. There should be a option to opt out of colour pictures or fur toy of the seal you sent money for.

ok lighter side £2 for clean water why I'm I paying £30 to get it across town?? Can't use that line now having just moved last week and have a water meter so If you're calling can you go before you come round and save me 7 litres pls.

• Like 3

Well the RNLI and the Royal British Legion, but a lot of charities are just becoming big business. When we had the pub the British Heart foundation had a box on the bar, I phoned them up and asked to have it emptied, they said break the seal and pay the money into our ban k as its not worthwhile coming to pick it up as there historically never been more than £75 in it, it you can guarantee at least £250... we will come and empty it.

Yes the RNLI came out every month religiously and emptied theirs whether £1 or a £100 was always grateful for every penny. Was the same in  our tackle shops, never allowed to get over full, As we had the money for every tide table to into the box.

What gets me work out all the tv adverts, radio adverts and direct mail shot of the salvation army for "JUST £19" how much of that £19 after all expenses get used for what people give it for 50p maybe or less?

rant over get orffff me soap box.

Charlie Merry Christmas one and all

• Like 6

How do they come up with the £19 figure?  How many people are they trying to attract? Why £19?  Is it to pay for the fantastic new building at the foot of St. Pauls Cathedral near the "wobbly bridge" If the sally army are a charity wouldnt it be better if they ran it from a unit on some industrial estate.  IT seems that beggars CAN be choosers. I feel sorry for the donkeys used to carry bricks in some foreign clime but they always have done and the farmers dont have 4x4's  There are lots of telly reports that tug at the heart strings and if i'm walking along a road and someone stand there quietly with a tin and a smile i'll put something in but when i get envelopes through my door and people asking me to sign up to monthly payments then they get short shrift. Barnardos another big business. Are these all run by fat cats or volunteers

Edited by wombat nee blownup
speeling mastikes
  • Like 4

Unfortunately large charities employ many full time staff, that's fine but how interested are they in putting themselves out of work, after all that is the end result if they are successful in their endeavours.

Some years ago I realised that I couldn't save the world, with this in mind I looked at supporting just one charity and settled on Demelza a local children's hospice. For me I can't think of anything worse than a parent losing a chid or a child losing their life, I know my contribution might/won't save the child but hopefully their short lives can be made better.

• Like 5

It is a sad fact of today's society that many charity's including the major ones do not fund raise.

They subcontract the fund raising activities to professional fund raising companies, presumably with the charity receiving a set percentage of the money collected.

However, many of these companies are over aggressive in the way thy operate.  Especially the ones who employ the charity muggers that pervade our shopping malls and high streets.

These are the same companies that try to pester us with begging phone calls.

If there is a phone number shown and you ring it the first thing you are asked when they get your call is the name of the charity you are calling.

Proof that they are handling fund raising for many.

Have you also notice that some of those glossy begging letters supposedly showing starving children actually use actors.

The same children appearing in more than one place around the world.

Personally I do support certain charities the RNLI for one but it is far better to give direct to organisations locally rather than the money go to pay for plush offices etc for the national organisations.

Like others I would be interested to know how much, if any of your contribution actually gets to where it is supposed to go.

An interesting comparison though.

About 25 years ago I saw a job advert, cant remember if it was in the job centre or the local paper but it read as follows.

CHARITY COLLECTORS WANTED

KEEP 33% OF ALL YOU COLLLECT.

Certainly made me think at the time.

• Like 6

I to remember that advert Arthur here it was in the local paper, if memory serves me correct the charity actually received around 20% of the takings, a bit like the 5p they receive from the sale of charity cards.

There is nothing wrong with giving out of choice its the attempted coercion that's the problem, at the moment we have a spate of doorstep collectors, quite aggressive and I would imagine frightening for older people.

Fred

I'm afraid I cut my charitable spending back the year before last, out of necessity more than choice. As Gracie says, feeding your own children comes first, then there are school uniforms etc etc. I kept just sight savers, water aid, the RSPCA and PDSA. Since then the latter two have both gone, the RSPCA because if their aggressive door step campaigning (we had four visits in six days earlier this year, two of then on the same day, and they don't take a hint) and the PDSA because of they let me down badly last year, after which I looked at what they actually do and their charges for treatment are similar to many vets anyway.

I still support water aid, they are very clear where their money goes and openly publish their fund raising budget and results. Ditto sight savers.

What I would suggest for anyone who feels they want to donate to something they have been approached about in the street or at the doorstep is to wait, then contact the charity direct. If the collector is genuine they will not mind this, if they do object then you can be sure that they are making from the deal and not all your money is going to reach the charity, let alone benefit the cause you are supporting.

• Like 1

We did National Trust and RNLI life membership years ago when we could afford it.  All other charities get very little now apart from Weston Park Cancer Charity.

However the scouts/guides/brownies/youth football/ youth theatre packers at the supermarket always get tipped for 'helping' with the shopping.

the only i sometimes support is air ambullance , i get really fed up of these people that phone you up trying to get money out of you & being really pushy with it as well, & won't take no for an answer , & what i really find annoying,  is when you put clothes out in them bags for certain charities & then not long after a plain van will turn up & steal the bags , theiving scumbags.  lori

• Like 2

Those theiving scumbags lori,steal the bags,store them in a self store container,once full they pack a shipping container and send them to the eastern block, where they get good money. over here they run about in uptodate BMWs and the like.

this informatoin comes from a local self store /shipping company, one of my customers

• Like 2