London Boat Show

Broads01

I shall be visiting the London Boat show this Saturday for the first time in 9 years. It's a long trip for me to get there but hopefully worth it - I was lured by Richardsons offer of cheap tickets and the chance to see Commodore and Broadway in all their glory!

I know Brooms will also be there although whether they'll feature any hire boats I don't know.

I'd be interested to read any thoughts or recommendations from anyone who's been to the show in recent years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I shall be visiting the London Boat show this Saturday for the first time in 9 years. It's a long trip for me to get there but hopefully worth it - I was lured by Richardsons offer of cheap tickets and the chance to see Commodore and Broadway in all their glory!

I know Brooms will also be there although whether they'll feature any hire boats I don't know.

I'd be interested to read any thoughts or recommendations from anyone who's been to the show in recent years.

Just watch the fire extinguisher  on Broadway, Simon:naughty: 

cheersIain

• Like 2

My advice is don't go on Saturday!

not sure how your getting there but the DLR is imho the best option. 

Take your own food and drink and I always find it warm in there when your walking around. 

And leave your money and credit cards at home or with a responsible adult:naughty:

enjoy it though. I will be there Thursday. 

I have`nt been for many years now. The last time i went, was the second year it was at the excel, and i was`nt impressed. It had no atmosphere, like Earls court, and the catering was very limited. No decent cafes or restaurants like Earls court. Also, the show sarted to drift away from boats with many stalls being nothing to do with boats at all, and those boats that were there you could`nt look over, unless it was a dayboat or dinghy where you could see through the windows. I`ve heard in recent years, less than half of the show is actually boats, and boat related, with many stalls displaying garden furnature, gazebos, hot tobs, and even sheds, and greenhouses. Oh, and not to forget the rapid rise of property stalls advertising overpriced appartments etc. That said, i`ve not actually been myself recently, but i`ve often gone to the Southampton show, which has been said as more of a boatshow than London now, and that`s going the way of the side show stalls too.

Of course, they might have listened to complaints, and done away the side show stalls, and gone back to boats, but i won`t be going, so anybody who DOES go will hopefully report back here?.

It`s a shame really, because it was the main thing i looked forward to after Christmas, and was very disappointed when it was over. Whatever you think of it, i hope you enjoy it.

Okay, so I'm a boring old fart but the TV advert completely dispelled any hankering that I might have had to go! Glitz & bling, electronic toys and button pushing, just not me. This one rears its head every year, with pretty much the same comments from those of us who used to go to Earls Court. Did any of you go last year and will you be going this?  

• Like 1

Missed last year, but went the year before.  Going next week.  I have some goodies to buy and might get a bit of a deal or at least get to play with some stuff I didn't know I needed.

I agree it's not as good as I remember Earl's Court to be, but a nice opportunity to do something boaty in January. 

Southampton is a must this year, as I say very year and still haven't been...

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Okay, so I'm a boring old fart but the TV advert completely dispelled any hankering that I might have had to go! Glitz & bling, electronic toys and button pushing, just not me. This one rears its head every year, with pretty much the same comments from those of us who used to go to Earls Court. Did any of you go last year and will you be going this?  

Yes, me too.........again........

I'll do my usual and post another nostalgic British Pathe youtube of the "good ole days", when plebs like me had a chance of aspiring to a reasonable percentage of the toys....:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFMnIT_eN8

(click the link, not the image)

ec boat show british pathe.jpg

(can't seem to be able to embed youtube vids in the forum software any more ?)

We have been every year since 2009.When we brought  our first boat.The show went off the boil for a few years,last year was better.I agree best to use DLR.Food being members of RYA we eat there.If you don't take your own food there are a number of outlets.It will never be like Earls Court and I believe  wrong  to compare  the two.Go with an open mind and enjoy the day

• Like 3

If you are a city banker with a distant dream about boating in the calm waters off Monaco but have no idea about boats then you will love it. Especially if you love talking to clueless salesmen who are arrogant as hell! 

I wouldn't go even if the tickets were free. Bring back earls court! 

• Like 2

MM - next Thursday the 14th. Sorry to confuddle anyone.

A lot of people have their own opinions on the London boat show and I think it depends on what you expect and what your after? Here is my personal opinion.

I vaguely remember going to Earls court once and it was a complete pain in the backside for me transport wise which ruined it, at least for me Excel is easier to get to.

I agree the show maybe not the best and would love to go to Southampton, but that would cost me a lot more money and take 2 days out of my life - If I treated it as a weekend away with the wife then it might be different, but she would rather I took her somewhere nicer for a weekend treat.

Last year I did the late night session with a mate. We went after work and a couple of hours was plenty for us at the time and all for a tenner. I bought some bits and pieces I needed (and something I didn't need and have never used from the side stalls, but that's my stupid fault). 

This year going with 3 mates and we are making a day of it. I had a days leave to use up, free ticket and will cost me less than a fiver on the tube - bargain. We will have a few beers no doubt and amble around. I doubt we will spend the full day there, but I have some things I want to look for and it is an opportunity to see different makes/models side by side rather than on the internet.

Will we go on the Sunseeker or Princess stand - I doubt it, but then I have no intention of buying one or could afford one, but will look at the lower end boats. In fact a few years back I bought my dinghy, outboard and trailer package there. I was in the market for one, saw what I liked at the right price and it was a local Norfolk company. Would never have seen it had I not gone to the show as I had been looking for ages. To me there do seem to be plenty of different types of boat there from gin palaces, sports boats, ski boats, sailing boats (big and small), toys etc etc. Some I will look at, some we will pass by, some we will go "are you serious" at.

As Ian said go with an open mind and enjoy the day out. It could be better, but then so could a lot of things in life (including the weather).cheers

• Like 4

When I went last year it was not the best ‘atmosphere’ but it certainly was a showcase and to me that is what I like. 

I did go to the Earls Court show when I was younger, but this will be the shows 12th year at Excel, so I wonder if it is time to accept it is how it is, it is staying there and won’t ever be like Earls Court again.

As to what is on offer at the show to my mind is in the main not of interest – I dislike much of the designs of the modern boats, and upon looking on board at some increasingly see where build quality is second to performance and the latest ‘toys’.  People like Volvo pod drives and lots of horse power, they also like a competitive price overall and so you see where the savings internally have to be made with chromed plastic, faux leathers and off the shelf fixtures any chandlers would sell.

However there are the stands of interest – hands on with a new Beta engine, or look at what Vetus has to offer – thrusters and demos, hydraulics, deck coverings, sound proofing, LED lighting – it is all there and you can actually touch and see which you can’t do online and having looked and touched you can then go hunting for the best deal be that at the show on the web.

I’d like to be able to go this year, especially as I can get tickets at a little less than advertised. I need to see if can make a day of it with Shiela, me be allowed to do boats if she can drag me around Westfield...

4 hours ago, Strowager said:

Yes, me too.........again........

I'll do my usual and post another nostalgic British Pathe youtube of the "good ole days", when plebs like me had a chance of aspiring to a reasonable percentage of the toys....:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFMnIT_eN8

(click the link, not the image)

ec boat show british pathe.jpg

(can't seem to be able to embed youtube vids in the forum software any more ?)

Boy! Does that bring back memories. Got to know Rodney Pattison well during my time at Cobbs Quay in the mid 70s. Great bloke who could sail anything could even make my little bilge keel Sea Wych go like a train in the harbour.

What I find is good everything  is on offer for example  fenders to very very big Gin palaces have fun pick people's  brains  you don't have to buy plus it gives you a fix boats boats and more boats in London  in early  January 

It's not and will never be Earls Court 

Have fun see you there Ian

• Like 2

We had good times at Earls Court but it was past it's sell by date and was a complete pain for us to exhibit in, Excel is much, much better.  The only downside is the lack of restaurants within walking distance of the onsite hotels, around Earls Court there were loads.

Southampton is our main show so it's mainly dealers on our stand at London.  I'm there tomorrow and Friday morning for setting up and back down the last weekend.  We are situated right by the Sunseeker Champagne bar selling Volvo pod drives and lots of horse power :-) . 

We haven't got much room but can probably store a few coats if I'm around on those days. 

As for food the Guinness bar used to do pasties - err, apparently :naughty:

• Like 4

Oops, I've been caught out !

This was shortly before she broke up with Lewis Hamilton, Robert Braithwaite was suggesting she bought him a Sunseeker and at the time we all wondered why she looked a bit upset.

This year it's some guy called Hugh Bonneville from Downton Abbey and some hunky boy band - I probably won't bother this year !!  http://www.mby.com/news/hugh-bonneville-sunseeker-london-boat-show-50466

• Like 3

I think it`s wrong to say you can`t compare it to Earls court, it`s still the London International Boat Show, and a shadow of its former self. As for going with "an open mind", not a chance. I`d be going to a boat show, and expect to see boats, and boat related stuff, not home and garden accessories. If i wantad to go somewhere with an open mind, i`d go on a mystery coach tour.

The last 4 times we went to the Southampton Boat Show, was because we got free tickets from work. Not exactly anything to do with aircraft, but we use PCP Logistics for freight and transport, and they sponsored it for several years, and always gave a friend of ours at work who is in charge of dispatch free tickets, which she would dish out.  Otherwise, i would`nt go every year, like we did`nt last year.

The thing i don`t like about the shows these days is all the non boating rubbish exibited. Even with that, the show is getting very spaced out, with a dramatic decrease in actual boats on display, and very few small boats too.

• Like 1