The character of this forum

Poppy

I love it here! 

However, I'm concerned to see, over the last couple of months a small degree of 'confrontational' posting

on certain threads, involving in a number of cases an element of personal attack.

Now, I'm not an admin or a mod ( and have no desire to be either) but I really hope that people could stand back, think about what they have typed

and consider how appropriate it is to click on 'submit'.

In almost every case, it's not what is being expressed (IMHO) that's the problem rather than the way it's being put.

I'd hate to see this place go the same way as many others (not) just 'Broads' Fora have. :facepalm:

• Like 14

hi poppy

I can see your point

one of the reasons that we decided long ago to not include politics ( except where it directly affected the broads)

was for that very reason.

that one exception is usually where things can become a little  heated especially after the g&t shed,

but fear not.

miss whiplash is here :River Police

• Like 8

It is inevitable that some "confrontational" posts get through and for many reasons. Some are written "tongue in cheek" but not read as such whilst some others might just be poorly phrased.

Yes there will be times when there is a bit of a spat, but I think that given the reputation of this site, those threads should be left to run and sort themselves out. That's what normally happens.

I think it necessary to be both diplomatic and thick skinned if one is going to enjoy the full spectrum of forum posts, and although there will always be some who post to raise some form of response, the percentage of such people is small enough to make their contributions both welcome and interesting.

Ok, at the moment we have two threads running where feelings are running a bit high. Both threads have important issues at stake so those feelings are bound to be voiced in ways that could have been better thought out, but we are all human (well most of us anyway) so a little leeway may need to be given here and there.

• Like 10

Personally I respect the NBN very much so.  The main reason for me is that the Moderators are indeed 'Moderate' and do indeed know the meaning of that term and how to apply it.  I have witnessed no back stabbing, misappropriation of charity funds and the like.  As long as the NBN continues with the ethos it presently employs, then I am very much 'In'

Yes there are one or two forumites that 'Push the envelope' but for me that makes it more colourful and interesting (Not that I always agree with every point of view of course)

Should the NBN continue to treat all members equal,  irrespective of colour / creed / owner / privateer etc with no 'Hidden' agendas or clicks as opposed the the nbn - with first hand knowledge of such practises - imho of course (There I've said it)  then it has my full backing and support.

I have backed off 'Public' posting and support and more to the point participation and promoting of Broads Forums to a large degree over the past two years for good and personal reasons, I learnt a painful but valuable lesson in that not all folk will turn out to be as you find them, - that hurt.  It's my own fault for being so trusting and somewhat naive.  You would think with my background of 24 x years in the RN meeting all walks of life I should have known better, I should have done, I let myself lapse, got lazy  and you would be correct.

Some are downright liars (I have proof) and will smile to your face then stab you in the back with your 'Friends'.  Forums and the media for me like others I suspect is a relatively new breed of animal, we are all learning, me rapidly and it has hurt I don't mind admitting.

I am as a result wary of nowadays getting too 'Close' and involved to the degree I used to do so, yes I got bruised, hurt and sometimes proper angry.  That is a shame on my part as I really do want to do more for charity and the less well off, not getting involved as I used to do so is hindering my ambitions

Will I get back to my 'Old self'? - I hope so - not so much for my benefit but more so for the benefit of strangers that I have not yet met that will become friends.  Before that happens I have a few scores to settle, faces to meet, wrongs to right and yes a very limited few to literally chuck in the damn river!  not all of them will I achieve but I'm buggered that if I don't it will stop me from benefiting others.

I have met and made a great many new friends as a result of Broads Forums, had some fantastic life changing experiences - long may it continue.

Now then, who wants a weekend afloat on 'B.A' ?   -   And can I witness 'Miss Whiplash' in person doing 'Her Thing' ? :naughty:

Griff

• Like 22

"The character of this forum"

When I read the topic  I thought this was going to be one of those TV style voting competitions, you know the style of thing "For the tone deaf woman who screeched out the power of love phone 0345 101 0001, for the chap who thought he was Freddie Mercury but sang more like Freddie Starr ring 0345 101 0002, for Gracie call 0898 ..... (OK, I'll get my coat!). Indeed I was worried that I may have to nominate a candidate for "Character of the Forum". Would there be an award I thought? Could i engage Alistair Campbell maybe to run my own campaign? And who should I vote for? Janet Anne would be a likely contender for telling us about her renovation, I have enjoyed the literary tour of her beams, planks and transom. Robin maybe for creating the longest posts an internet forum has ever seen. If I'm at a loose end for half an hour (or sometimes half a day) I know one of his posts will keep me entertained. Should I be chivalrous and nominate Gracie, a bit of chivalry nowadays gets you almost anywhere! Or should I go mercenary and nominate Clive for all those wonderful insights he shares with us from his most excellent boatyard in Stalham? Plug .... Plug Plug Plug! Actually you could nominate almost any of the contributors here because each and everyone is most important to the character of the forum. even Poppy :evil:. After all, what would the day be without a bad joke now and then.

By the way, I was going to post a Joke about three boxers, and English boxer, a Scottish boxer and an Irish boxer but I'm sorry I've forgotten the punch line. 

On a more serious note, and taking the title of this thread as the OP intended then yes, I have to agree there has been more confrontation on the forum recently but you Know what, I have started taking some of my own advice. Shock Horror! Where as in the past I might have got a bit hot under the collar and waded in with a Boatboy broadside nowadays i tend to ignore it, leave the agitants to sort it out between themselves. After all, I have always held the opinion that if someone has to get personal, or aggressive to make a point then that point is not really worth making in the first place. Such outbursts are only detrimental to the person who posted them, not to anyone else or even the forum itself, in my opinion of course.

I believe the moderators do an excellent job, simply by not doing much. Moderators after all should moderate, not censor and the balance here is about right I reckon. I guess the odd word might be had behind the scenes now and again but well done for generally letting things blow themselves out. 

The one thing i would say, going back to Jonzo's comments about editing and locking posts, is that to me it has exactly the opposite impact to that suggested. Most people at some point will post something they later wish they hadn't. I know I have (you will understand that such admission doesn't mean i was wrong! just that the interjection of my wisdom at the time was perhaps not always entirely appropriate :hardhat:) The lack of ability here to append such posts removes the opportunity to redact comments we might decide the forum was not quite ready for. After all, not everyone has my impeccable infallibility for knowing quote what to post, and when!

• Like 6

On 05/02/2016 at 1:59 PM, Poppy said:

I love it here! 

However, I'm concerned to see, over the last couple of months a small degree of 'confrontational' posting

on certain threads, involving in a number of cases an element of personal attack.

Now, I'm not an admin or a mod ( and have no desire to be either) but I really hope that people could stand back, think about what they have typed

and consider how appropriate it is to click on 'submit'.

In almost every case, it's not what is being expressed (IMHO) that's the problem rather than the way it's being put.

I'd hate to see this place go the same way as many others (not) just 'Broads' Fora have. :facepalm:

I know exactly what you mea, as i have done exactly that myself.  I usually put a definite emphasis on a word or phrase by typing it in uppercase letters, which is something i`ve been doing for years. Some years back, JillR (aka "Miss Whiplash  :hardhat: ) replied to one of my posts saying i was always "shouting" at people, which she thought was unlike me. I was`nt having a go at anybody, just trying to emphasise something in my usual way.  Thankfully, these days, i think all the other forumites have got used to my turn of phrase, but i have inadvertantly posted a response to a thread which was meant to be a simple straight forward reply, but on reading it again, i`ve realised that it could quite easily, and sometimes was, taken in the wrong way. A simple misplaced punctuation can cause a post to be completely misinterpreted, and drop you in hot water.  Often when i`ve done it myself, i`ve been in a hurry, and not had time to proof read it first. It also does`nt help finding it difficult to phrase something i want to say, yet get it totally wrong when i`ve written it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Some years back, JillR (aka "Miss Whiplash  :hardhat: ) replied to one of my posts saying i was always "shouting" at people, which she thought was unlike me.

hi neil

yes I remember it well

it wasn't till I became a mod that I learnt the internet etiquette that says capitals = shouting and bold = emphasis.

hope ive got that right ... if not then :blush:

• Like 2