Dodgy Toll Plaques

Matt

Thank you Matt for the information.

Here is a copy of the warning and advice of not to attach the plaques.

Broads boaters warned about running ink on tolls plaques

Broads boaters are being advised not to fix toll plaques on their vessels while the Broads Authority urgently investigates an issue with running ink.

A very small number of reports about ink running from the plaques when they get wet onto vessel hulls has come in and as soon as the Authority was aware of the issue it called an immediate meeting with its print supplier to try and find a solution.

The supplier, which the Authority has used for 20 years with no previous issues, is now testing the efficacy of various solutions for the plaques already sent out by the Authority, including additional waterproofing. It is also investigating the cause, believed to be related to the waterproofing additive in the ink, to avoid the same problem in future.

John Packman, Chief Executive of the Broads Authority, said: “We sincerely regret that this has been an issue for a small number of boaters and, until further notice while investigations are ongoing, are advising people not to fix their plaques to their vessels but to keep them on board ready in case they need to be produced.

“We will be writing to every boater who has already been sent a plaque to ensure they are aware of this advice and we will keep boaters updated on progress through our usual channels.”

Friday 11 March 2016

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Broads boaters are being advised not to fix toll plaques on their vessels while the Broads Authority urgently investigates an issue with running ink.

A very small number of reports about ink running from the plaques when they get wet onto vessel hulls has come in and as soon as the Authority was aware of the issue it called an immediate meeting with its print supplier to try and find a solution.

The supplier, which the Authority has used for 20 years with no previous issues, is now testing the efficacy of various solutions for the plaques already sent out by the Authority, including additional waterproofing. It is also investigating the cause, believed to be related to the waterproofing additive in the ink, to avoid the same problem in future.

That must be damned annoying for them.

A potentially costly mistake on the part of their regular supplier which some people will undoubtedly manage to blame on them.

Luckily for me, my game plan has always been to pay for my tolls online on the day before they are due, so maybe they'll have watertight ones by the time I order (in 20 days time).

Maybe I'll hot laminate my new ones this time.

Ok Boys and Girls! I don't know if anyone is aware of this but it's off the BA broads blog,

John Packman, Chief Executive of the Broads Authority, said: “We sincerely regret that this has been an issue for a small number of boaters and, until further notice while investigations are ongoing, are advising people not to fix their plaques to their vessels but to keep them on board ready in case they need to be produced.

“We will be writing to every boater who has already been sent a plaque to ensure they are aware of this advice and we will keep boaters updated on progress through our usual channels.”

Frank,,,,,

True Strow! I put it again just in case they didn't read it the first time, :liarthey may have been using different ink in my version :taunt: or it could be I didn't read it! it may be because I wanted to give the Mods something to do by having to merge it, or it could be as Judi says I'll be late for my own funeral,,,,

Frank,,,

• Like 1

Iain! as I've not been on much over winter due to decorating my daughters new house, I have a lot of troublemaking and winding up to catch up on,, you should know me by now! chuck the petrol on then stand back and watch the fire burn,,,:twisted:

Frank,,

• Like 1

OK this one has had me chortling since reading it! It's almost of Goon Show standard!

Cue Wallace Greenslade and fanfare...

Greenslade:
For Whom The Toll Drolls

Sellers as Bluebottle Paxman:
Yes, your Maj! Finks...I will accept your knightedhood I will, I will!

Seacombe:
What what what what? These toll plaques were printed by the Chinese?

How can you tell mon capitan?

Seacombe:
You can tell by their eyes!

It is because they is waterin like what these plaques is?

Seacombe:
No it's the way they pronounce them!

• Like 7

I haven't got mine yet - but will do, just as soon as I have taken over the new ship... perhaps by then they will have sorted this out... It is a rather dated system TBH - and I wonder why they don't just go over to an online record approach?  All you have to do is permanently display your reg. number and the rangers can tell from a simple db on board their launch whether or not you have a toll. Equally, if vessels are not paid up, it should flag up and shouldn't be too hard to check up on them...

Too sensible?  :naughty:

• Like 4

Just renewed my toll and had a nice chat to the person taking my money about the ink.  The ink is not so much running but leaching into the hull.  They have used the same supplier for many years and have also been told that the company will in a few years time, stop using the specific machinery used to print the discs.  We had a chat and I suggested that they do what the Car Tax people now do and that is not issue one.  He agreed that would be the way forward and the company stopping the printing process might be the catalyst for the BA to move into the modern world. 

• Like 3