Cruising Music

Wyndham

I hope I didn't give anyone the impression we charge around with music at full volume, far from it. If we have music on and are passing moored boats it gets turned down to a whisper, not that it was loud to begin with.

We too love the "sound of the broads" especially early morning and most definitely when moored up for the evening, but getting from Yarmouth to Stokesby surely a little company is good. As Ricardo said, horses for courses.

Timbo mentioned some names I'd never heard of,  got too look them up.

Status Quo, loved them, first band I saw live, Finsbury Park Rainbow, has to be loud though.

Dire Staits, love them, has to be loud though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

I hope I didn't give anyone the impression we charge around with music at full volume, far from it. If we have music on and are passing moored boats it gets turned down to a whisper, not that it was loud to begin with.

We too love the "sound of the broads" especially early morning and most definitely when moored up for the evening, but getting from Yarmouth to Stokesby surely a little company is good. As Ricardo said, horses for courses.

Timbo mentioned some names I'd never heard of,  got too look them up.

Status Quo, loved them, first band I saw live, Finsbury Park Rainbow, has to be loud though.

Dire Staits, love them, has to be loud though.

You should try short tacking all the way, you won't have time for company!

We're another couple that don't tend to listen to anything when we're on the Broads - very occasionally we might put the tv on for the news, or watch a DVD. And Radio 2 might come on for a short time first thing in the morning. But mostly we prefer the tranquility of the rivers themselves - the peace and quiet is part of the charm. As well as the chance to talk to each other and have a proper conversation.

My music choices elsewhere are very wide and varied like so many other people. But I like things that I can sing along to and increasingly I find myself listening to new recordings of old songs from the 50s to the 70s. Have just treated ourselves to tickets to see The Overtones in concert in December.

• Like 2

I know what you mean,some large stores in London have Christmas  stuff out already. Perhap one reason is to catch the tourists,encouraging  them to spend before they return  home.IWish it could be Christmas everyday. Not really can't afford  that and a Boat.:default_xmas2::default_wacko:

Ian

• Like 1

Fascinating to see what people like to listen to when underway, or how some prefer nothing to distract the peace (other than the engine perhaps).

For myself, it depends on a lot but for times when I might be headed on a long cruise 'down south' music is a must for me and might often influence what I do, where I go and so on if I am in an especially motivated frame of mind. 

Some regular watchers of my Blogs may have guessed that music can play an important part of the videos too - and indeed some of the tracks I choose can be a little 'different' to say the least.  But I do find that what compliments the Broads open landscape, big skies and 'endless' feel to the rivers as they meander on their course is Electronic music - something that evolves flows and continues itself without the usual constraints of a tracks time or lyrics.

From the talented multi-instrumentalist (and dance guru) Chris Brann comes 'The Ananda Project'  and back in 2015 worked with Sasha on a track called Moment Before Dreaming.

This 11 minute track has a timeless, gentle repetitive beat but that allows you to almost drift along, and will feature in a forthcoming Blog. But for now,  Imagine  you've just come of Breydon Water it is an October morning, grey heavy skies and a chill in the air but not enough for the heater just yet. You  begin to head up the Yare, on your Starboard side is the Berney Arms and ahead of you a bleak reed lined river...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

The only reason to have a radio Is to listen to Radio Norfolk just after 06:00, for the tide and weather information for the broads

That's as long as Wally doesn't get his knickers in a twist when giving out the tide details! 

Merry Christmas everyone :default_xmas2:  :default_norty:

Dave, that beautiful big man will certainly be doing this :default_eusa_naughty: I'd give anything to be told off by him again

Howard :default_eusa_naughty: you are naughty but I like you, Jean will be mortified she hasn't got in first with the C word :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Some regular watchers of my Blogs may have guessed that music can play an important part of the videos too - and indeed some of the tracks I choose can be a little 'different' to say the least

Robin I am curious to know whether you already own the music you use or whether you buy tracks specially. Finding the right music usually takes me longer than editing my clips and photos!

Jean,

I don't own any of the music I use neither do I buy it - I just check each track I intend to use to see if it will be subject to a Copyright infringement notice being issued, this is a free service for content creators in You Tube. if not I use it.

The problem comes when a track previously seen as 'ok' to be used (which then generates an advert to which each view gives a little bit to the record label and the rest to You Tube) suddenly changes to not being allowed to be used. Sometimes I find a track might have been owned by some obscure label has been snapped up by the awful people at SME (Sony Music Entertainment).  Sony above all labels cause the most issues. If they have not filed a claim, then it is the case they stop a track being played in Germany or on anything other than a desktop computer. This then in one move causes many not to be able to watch a video of mine, or an entire videos audio (not just the track) is muted. You Tube have to do this at the request of SME.

Because I never keep any of the original videos once uploaded there is little I can do other than try to remove the disputed rack and replace it with silents using You Tubes tools - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

As for choosing the music, it is often the case I will hear some new music and put it in my playlist to go into a forthcoming video - I may out and get my phone and use an App called Soundhound' or 'Shazam' which will listen to a few seconds of the music then report what the track is and the artist. Other times I just listen to hours of different tracks and styles to identify certain themes or feelings. A kind of 'sub-reason' behind my videos is to bring unusual or otherwise little known music to people, taking on from the days of Trigger Happy TV whose producers choice of music was as inspiring as the comedy Dom Jolly performed.

But there are times when I can just find myself stuck in a rut on a something lost for what music could work there, best thing then is get up leave everything - come back later, even a couple days after with a refreshed mind and try again and often you will find the perfect part. A good example is when I was on Serenade, and I featured a lot of Drum & Bass at St. Benets - that was all filmed with the idea of some orchestral numbers but editing it I decided to go very much off the usual track and changed the editing and cuts to produce what I did and to my mind it worked well.

Now to my favorite  this was a result of listing to Classic FM one evening when this particular track ("Parce mihi domine" by Jan Garbarek & The Hilliard Ensemble)   came on which then inspired the following video and title. Filmed at Rockland Broad in October 2013 I had no idea how my slow pans (using the boat and a fixed camera) might turn out, but they came out very well and coupled with the music touched me on a pretty deep level,  and so 'Discover Your Emotion' was born.

Thanks for your reply Robin. That's really interesting. The first couple of videos which I did I put together in YouTube and used free tracks from their site. But since then all the music has been from my own collection as I like to put the video together in iMovie, export it to a file on my computer and then upload to YouTube. I like having a copy myself to keep.

I try to check the copyright situation on YouTube but have found that sometimes my videos won't play on mobile devices. I do remember finding just once that my video had been muted because of copyright so deleted it, edited it, and uploaded it afresh.