I'd Rather Be Boating

SteveO

Just getting ready to go to Spain for a week. I have checked the passports, completed on-line check-in for the flights and printed out boarding passes, submitted advanced passenger information, ordered and obtained currency - requiring 2 forms of identification and proof of address, obtained my on-line check code and evidence of lack of driving disqualification - just in case I want to hire a car, packed my suitcase and hand baggage,  removed all sharp objects/potentially hazardous liquids from my wife's hand-baggage, checked to ensure that our baggage weighs less than the allowance, completed extensive health questionnaires and booked expensive travel insurance, which doesn't seem to cover you for anything that might actually happen.  

Tomorrow, we will set off early for the airport, negotiating the notorious M25 and M23,  leave the car in a long stay car-park so remote that it requires a 20 minute or more bus journey to reach the terminal, stand in a long line for the best part of an hour for the "fast bag drop", prove our identity yet again, stand in another long line for intrusive and undignified security checks, sit in a sweaty airport until our gate opens, walk for about half a mile to the boarding gate, complete yet more security checks, sit in a cramped seat for 4 hours or more, no-doubt with the Olympic champion seat-kicker sitting behind us, get off the plane, queue again at immigration and again at the baggage reclaim carousel and queue again for customs clearance before finally getting into the taxi to our hotel.

I will definitely need a holiday after that lot!!!!!!!

two guns

Steve

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

Just getting ready to go to Spain for a week. I have checked the passports, completed on-line check-in for the flights and printed out boarding passes, submitted advanced passenger information, ordered and obtained currency - requiring 2 forms of identification and proof of address, obtained my on-line check code and evidence of lack of driving disqualification - just in case I want to hire a car, packed my suitcase and hand baggage,  removed all sharp objects/potentially hazardous liquids from my wife's hand-baggage, checked to ensure that our baggage weighs less than the allowance, completed extensive health questionnaires and booked expensive travel insurance, which doesn't seem to cover you for anything that might actually happen.  

Tomorrow, we will set off early for the airport, negotiating the notorious M25 and M23,  leave the car in a long stay car-park so remote that it requires a 20 minute or more bus journey to reach the terminal, stand in a long line for the best part of an hour for the "fast bag drop", prove our identity yet again, stand in another long line for intrusive and undignified security checks, sit in a sweaty airport until our gate opens, walk for about half a mile to the boarding gate, complete yet more security checks, sit in a cramped seat for 4 hours or more, no-doubt with the Olympic champion seat-kicker sitting behind us, get off the plane, queue again at immigration and again at the baggage reclaim carousel and queue again for customs clearance before finally getting into the taxi to our hotel.

I will definitely need a holiday after that lot!!!!!!!

two guns

Steve

I am knackered just reading that, Steve! Happy holidays.:party:

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Cannot be worse than the check in we had at Agean Airlines at Heathrow last week, it was so chaotic we left an hour late and only just caught the last Ferry by minutes.

Doug.

Perhaps there is something to be said for the smaller regional airports? 

• Like 1

Hi Steve, have a great holiday :dance. I wish you luck on the good old M25 and M23. 

I must say I don't miss holidaying abroad. We last went abroad over 2 years ago and our passports expired back in 2014 and we still have not renewed them :norty:. Norfolk Broads is sooo much more enjoyable and relaxing :love.

Regards

Marina  :Stinky

• Like 5

I would rather put  £100 's worth of diesel in the boat than renew my passport, anyway what happened to the free passport less travel within the EU we were promised when we joined the EU or whatever it was called then. Apart from anything else when applying for a passport one can be Scots Welsh or Irish but not English, another reason I will not be applying.

Rant over 

• Like 3

Got to the airport on time despite the best efforts of the M20/23 and 25. Security was fun, involving the normal bag screen, plus a session in a whole body scanner and a pat down. Just sitting in a hot and unpleasant Costa Coffee drinking overpriced latte and waiting for our flight to be called. Delay 45 minutes and counting, which means we will probably miss our taxi transfer at the other end.

Why do we do this ?

cheers

steve

1 minute ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Don't worry Iain we have them in London there called the DLR.One good thing they don't go on strike! Or ask for more money 

Yep Ian, been on the DLR to the O2. Reminded me of the old 1d railway at Liverpool docks many moons ago, but much smoother !

cheersIain

Airports drain your soul. They remove any dignity you may have left , when you may have to queue up to 2 hours for the pleasure of meeting your luggage again.   That is if it has even made it to the same continent you happen to be in. 

But we really shouldn't tell everyone how good the broads is, the end result is obvious.............ssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!

• Like 5

Airports!!

That's why our next holiday abroad will be a 45 minute drive to Tyne Dock, where on stopping at the terminal the boot is opened suitcases taken away then park the car. Walk into the terminal check in, be called onto the ship shown to our cabin and the suitcases waiting at the door. That's what happened last time. One hour after arriving we were unpacked and having a nice cool drink.

Norway here we come.

On returning to Tyne Dock leave the cases outside the cabin the night before, get up in the morning have breakfast, disembark, pick up the cases near the carpark drive home.

We have sailed from other ports and flown from many airports but Tyne Dock twice has been part of the holiday, not an ordeal to survive.

paul

• Like 4

I must admit I get more than my fill of airports with business travel. I have only once taken a flight for leisure reasons in the last 20 years, and that was to get home after a race to Brittany, when I couldn't get the time off to stay on and go cruising for a couple of weeks. In fact, most of my trips to foreign parts are under sail and it is more about the journey than the arrival.

Spent many years travelling to various years parts of Europe and Asia ( and not seeing any of it) for work even popping across to Belgium or Germany for one hour meetings and back in the same day, airports and flying holds no appeal to me these days.

give me the UK any day 

In the car, drive down to Norfolk........ Sorted

• Like 3

I've not travelled abroad nearly half as much as some of you, Spain, Italy, Paris etc, not too far afield, it's all lovely and a proper nice experience but it's the Broads every time for me, come snow, sleet, rain (sorry Dave :naughty:) or shine. I remember sunning myself on a beach in Spain and feeling a bit bored, mentioned to my other half that we could be doing this or that if we were on the Broads, where upon he got a tad fed up with me keep mention anything Broadland and said "Well we're not ruddy well there are we, without a shadow of a doubt we ruddy well will be next year".....Do I know how to get my way, or what? :party:

Grace

• Like 2

I was flying a lot to London for about seven years, and while I could fly from Prestwick to Stanstead it was fine going, but the coming back a nightmare at Stanstead. Flying to Bournemouth was also very pleasent,till Mr Ryanair pulled the plug on that route. 

Last few years it has been Glasgow to Gatwick, and I hated it! By the time I returned home, felt like a zombi. Gatwick security is so slow compared to Glasgow, probably shear mass of people to be checked, I guess

However, I do like a wee trip to Spain still for the heat on the okd bones.

cheersiain

• Like 1