Bad Manners.....

addicted

Penny's Morgan makes the point that not only hire boaters are guilty of mishandling a boat. Of course he's absolutely right.Those arrogant so and sos who hurtle past moored boats are the pits. Another of my pet hates are those who have the whole width of the river at their disposal.  but deem it necessary to pass within a few feet of moored craft. We were moored at St. Benets last summer and it was complete nightmare. One lunatic was hurtling along a very few feet from the bank heading straight for our stern. I don't know how he missed us It was quite literally by inches. We couldn't relax the whole time we were there.It was so bad we felt  like we were being used as target practice.I'd never moor there again which is a pity as in all other respects it's a nice spot. There are some out there who seem to labour under the misapprension that boating is a contact sport! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, addicted said:

There are some out there who seem to labour under the misapprension that boating is a contact sport! 

Now you have me confuzzled, Carole. Somehow I don't think your headline for this thread is Red Diesel Cost! :)

cheersIain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

May I ask what the correct heading should be Carole, and I will edit it for you.:)

cheersIain

LThat's an old post that's popped up courtesy of this pesky tablet I think it was a thread from several months ago regarding bad manners on the river

Honestly this tablet has a life of it's own and it's own agenda I suspect ..Nothing to do with me being abso!ute rubbish at using it of course.

Regards

Carole

Evening All,

Just back from a lovely week afloat. I will usually defend hirers against all kinds of comments if I feel the need but have to say that two particular sets of hirers displayed behaviour the like of which we have not encountered on the Broads before. I will be writing up a holiday tale eventually but two evenings were spoilt by the inconsideration of other folk.

One group ran their engine right in front of us for about 3 1/2 hours at Acle. They looked as if they had been out for the day and were therefore running their engine in lieu of any cruising that day as far as we could make out. We didn't say anything because you never know what reaction you will get. And we kept thinking that surely they would turn it off soon.

The other group in desperation I suppose, moored an almost new 45 foot cruiser in the reeds in front of the end of Sutton Staithe. No wonder the boats start to look somewhat the worse for wear so quickly. We did let them know that we would be leaving early but this was met with a rather rude and discourteous response.

Ho hum ... takes all sorts and it won't put us off. There are a lot of other very kind and pleasant folk that you meet along the way.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Evening All,

Just back from a lovely week afloat. I will usually defend hirers against all kinds of comments if I feel the need but have to say that two particular sets of hirers displayed behaviour the like of which we have not encountered on the Broads before. I will be writing up a holiday tale eventually but two evenings were spoilt by the inconsideration of other folk.

One group ran their engine right in front of us for about 3 1/2 hours at Acle. They looked as if they had been out for the day and were therefore running their engine in lieu of any cruising that day as far as we could make out. We didn't say anything because you never know what reaction you will get. And we kept thinking that surely they would turn it off soon.

The other group in desperation I suppose, moored an almost new 45 foot cruiser in the reeds in front of the end of Sutton Staithe. No wonder the boats start to look somewhat the worse for wear so quickly. We did let them know that we would be leaving early but this was met with a rather rude and discourteous response.

Ho hum ... takes all sorts and it won't put us off. There are a lot of other very kind and pleasant folk that you meet along the way.

Hello Jean,  if i was in your shoes, i would have phoned the boayards emergency hours no, and reported them as a public nuisance.  If the yards got enough "false emrgency" calls during the early hours, they`d be more likely to put a stop to it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, addicted said:

What I can't work out is why doesn't their running engine drive  them bonkers like it does the rest of us?

This was an older centre cockpit cruiser which is described in the yard's brochure as having the "engine mounted aft to reduce noise"! Given you have the rear well, then patio doors, then the galley area, then the cockpit area, we decided in the end that they may not have realised how noisy the engine was if you were behind them. We went for a walk and on returning couldn't hear it until we were almost level with the boat. They also seemed like decent people as they actually moved their boat to make room for someone else to moor ... the problem was that they moved it backwards closer to us!!

They did turn the engine off about 6.30pm and we breathed a sigh of relief. However 20 minutes later they turned it back on when they started having showers. At that point we did manage to get their attention and asked if they would be turning it off soon. They obligingly turned it off straight away so we probably should have spoken to them sooner. But there you go. We live and learn.

As for the 8pm to 8am advice, fair play to Richardson's as they actually had this on their keyring.

Keyring.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hello Jean,  if i was in your shoes, i would have phoned the boayards emergency hours no, and reported them as a public nuisance.  If the yards got enough "false emrgency" calls during the early hours, they`d be more likely to put a stop to it.

Having spent most of my adult life on the end of an emergency number, 7 nights a week for 6 months of every year, I can't say I endorse that idea!

Surely this would be akin to seeing a hire car go over a red light, and phoning Hertz to complain about it?

Hirers are citizens, responsible in law for their own actions. They are not employees of the boatyard.

• Like 7

We mostly end up mooring for the night at wild moorings or mud weighting, does mooring next to reeds or trees damage boats? if so, when I do eventually get out on the rivers that will be another pleasure that comes with boating off the list then

We have always found that a polite word is all it takes, if it's met with a rude response a phone call to the hire yard (even out of hours if need be) is the best course of action. Most hirers are very decent human beings, you will get the odd few from time to time who really don't care and will run their engines at silly o clock or make noise until all hours, we must be extremely lucky as we have had very few incidents where we have had to make a phone call or im indoors has had to tell them to have sex and travel. People like this are in all walks of life, the Broads is a boaters play ground, these things have always happened and always will no matter what is says on the key ring

Please enjoy your time on the rivers and don't let the odd few spoil it for you, hold onto your hats because when I finally get out there, I may be so excited I might make a bit of noise, may even wear a pirate hat for the amusement of my kids, will be polite and courteous at all times, unless of course someone is running their engine at silly o clock :naughty:

Grace

• Like 4

If the boat next door is running it's engines, just remember how lovely it is when they turn it off and look forward to the event in joyful anticipation. If they are laughing and joking late at night, just think back to when you laughed and joked till the small hours and enjoy the trip into Nostalgialand.

I find excessive tolleration is good for the soul whilst at the same time giving me the justified feeling of superiority and smugness.

The alternative is a holiday in a monestry but be aware, them monks don't 'arf chant a lot!

• Like 15

I dont think this can come under the heading of bad manners ,  more gross indecency.    We were coming down from Stracey to Gt Yarmouth and two Brinks boats were coming up on the other side of the river,  just as they got to the side of us one of the crew decided it was the right thing to expose himself.   Had I had my granddaughters with me I would have been horrified as it was hubby and I were absolutely shocked to see such behaviour,  Yes I did ring the Brinks Yard and told them who it was.     

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

just as they got to the side of us one of the crew decided it was the right thing to expose himself.  

This is a public order offence of indecent exposure which could just as well have been committed by someone standing on the river bank as you went past. I don't understand why you feel the need to phone the boatyard, when in this case, you should have phoned the Police. What are Brinkcraft supposed to do about it?

As to the running of engines when moored, this is a civil matter and that is what the police would tell you if you called them. Remember it is almost impossible to prove a noise nuisance in law without proven repetition and recorded decibel evidence.

I suggest two things :

1/. Without boat hirers, ever since before the last war, the Broads navigations would not still exist as they are today.

2/. The problem of running engines while moored means that there are not enough 220v shore power points on public moorings, as there are on almost all other commercial waterways of Eastern Europe.

I have spent my career listening to boatyards being blamed for every little piece of civil disorder or disturbance that happens on the waterway and this is, frankly, unfair and unjust.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

2/. The problem of running engines while moored means that there are not enough 220v shore power points on public moorings, as there are on almost all other commercial waterways of Eastern Europe.

Hi Vaughan,

I agree that at one time the 220 volt electric posts were an issue, these days however there have been additional posts installed, well they have  been on the Southern Broads.

I believe most hire companies do not supply shore power hookups, the main issue now is that most hire company boats are all electric (no gas), microwave ovens are on most boats. Most boats needed to be run for at least 5 hours a day to charge the batteries, the use these days of microwaves (engine needs to be run whilst in use) and all the other electrical items that some people demand these drain the batteries quite quickly supplying the inverter. Most crews journeys on a standard day can be less than what is required to provide this power drain. It is only on journeys going from the Southern Broads to the Northern Broads and vice versa, just pottering around just does not cut it.

Ideally crews should try and take showers whilst on the move if they can. It has already been said that crews are doing what they have been told to do by the hire companies with regards to running the engine when required, the companies also recommend the 8 pm to 8 am quiet time.  A number of the new hire craft with the engine located at the stern means the crews do not appreciate how much noise is heard by fellow moored boats from their relative quiet lounges.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2

It is not only the noise from engines, but the particulates emitted by most engines. The older design of engines, in general, emitting higher particulates. They also emit Carbon Monoxide, on several occassions we have been chocked out by diesel smoke fumes, as our rear canopy is not gas tight. It might be possible, in theory, that we may have died in our sleep by Carbon Monoxide poisoning by another vessel oblivious to the situation. 

The boat moving on in the morning, not knowing that they had killed someone. 

We need "Mythbusters" on the case looking at this. I know for example that if my outboard is run, for a long time, charging my batteries, say next to a high jetty, say with a boat close to my stern, with little wind, that I could expect that the cabin gets filled with Carbon Monoxide.

Luckily, and by MY choice, I have fitted a CO detector. 

There are many unfortunate people that might not be aware of such a hazard. 

Regards, 

Richard

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

"Which I am sure you do too"......well of course Polly, I am not a perfect hirer but I am as near to perfect as you're ever gonna get :naughty::gracie:

Grace

I was gonna say as she sails :Sailing into the sunset, but thought better of it !:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 3