Empty Moorings

Victoryv

This subject must have been raised before today, whilst we were moored at Loddon last week a couple  in front of us kindly offered us the use of their mooring on Oulton Broad whilst they were away for the week, we were not able to make use of it as we were headed back north, however it did get me thinking, those of us that are fortunate enough to own a boat also have a mooring, often left empty for long periods. Would it be possible to create some sort of register of empty moorings available for others to use, especially at busy periods.Perhaps it is something that could be made a part of the forum with a small charge per night made to forum funds.

I would be more than happy for people to use our mooring, albeit above the low bridge.

• Like 3

I applaud the idea in principle, but I wonder if mooring owners might have a problem with this.  Obviously if you own your own mooring no problem, but if you rent a mooring, as most of us probably do (especially if it is in a boatyard/marina) the proprietors might object to what is, in a sense, 'subletting'.  There might be insurance implications for example.

• Like 3

1. You are correct BobDog it is a non starter with private marinas. Some large marina companies do however run their own schemes allowing customers to cruise between their facilities. Subletting all be it freemans is an exclusion on every mooring agreement I have ever had for 40+ years

• Like 1

I have done this! (for 6 weeks Sept-Oct 2013).  My mooring owner was fine with it and my insurance company viewed my borrowed mooring as a temporary stay. Next season I shall look to 'buddy up' again for a month swapping my southern mooring for a northern one. 

1 minute ago, JanetAnne said:

I have done this! (for 6 weeks Sept-Oct 2013).  My mooring owner was fine with it and my insurance company viewed my borrowed mooring as a temporary stay. Next season I shall look to 'buddy up' again for a month swapping my southern mooring for a northern one. 

So that's how its done, you get a boat to talk to the Marinas....simples.....aye right....not !:naughty:

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

So that's how its done, you get a boat to talk to the Marinas....simples.....aye right....not !:naughty:

Oh ye of little faith

50 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Seems like a good idea, now anyone got a wet shed available for swop-sies down south?

Griff

Don't need them down south, weather always perfect, water clear and moorings friendly. If it wasn't for the dragons I'd recommend the place!

• Like 3

I believe that Tingdene Marinas have a visitor agreement with their fellow marinas, I have asked about visitor mooring on Oulton Broad, but sadly did not get a conclusive answer.

Our marina in Brundall would have the same policy with regards to none Tingdene berth holders.

I would assume that Ferry Marina and the WRC would have some form of agreement on accommodating their berth holders.

I agree in principle with the OP that it is a good idea, but in operation it is rife with issues that have have already been highlighted.  

If all the marinas and the hire yards had a few visitor moorings that could be booked by all, and in all I mean private or hire, be they cruisers or yachts. Maybe I am asking for boating utopia.

Regards

Alan

43 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I believe that Tingdene Marinas have a visitor agreement with their fellow marinas, I have asked about visitor mooring on Oulton Broad, but sadly did not get a conclusive answer.

Our marina in Brundall would have the same policy with regards to none Tingdene berth holders.

I would assume that Ferry Marina and the WRC would have some form of agreement on accommodating their berth holders.

I agree in principle with the OP that it is a good idea, but in operation it is rife with issues that have have already been highlighted.  

If all the marinas and the hire yards had a few visitor moorings that could be booked by all, and in all I mean private or hire, be they cruisers or yachts. Maybe I am asking for boating utopia.

Regards

Alan

I have to admit I'm a bit nonplussed. I just assumed Marinas were accommodating...to nice gentlemen...

_77369518_77369517.jpg

..."ooh Howard!"

• Like 5

12 hours ago, marshman said:

Sadly Chris is correct - all been thought of before I believe but blown out of court by the marina owners for any number of reasons. Or so i believe!!!

Could call it Airmarina!

Our experience with being off our mooring for any length of time is that marina owners want to let it to someone else in our absence. While we were moored at Ely marina we were actually asked by  the then owners to let them know if we were going to be off our mooring for a planned trip so that they could let to someone else on a temporary basis during our absence. on another occasion the present owners mistakenly thought we were away for 2 weeks and we returned to our mooring and found a narrow boat on it which kindly left  a load of bitumen on our static fenders. So I think it is unlikely that marina owners would approve of a share Scheme which we have often thought would be a good idea. but it seems that marina owners take the view that the mooring remains their property to do with as they wish regardless of whether it is let on a  yearly basis or not, thus if they get an opportunity to let it again for  a short  period that is a bonus. I think it has precious little to do with insurance it's pure opportunism.

regards,

Carole

• Like 2

Yuck! Only the fox is worse than that. 

Seriously I can see all sorts of problems. It is different with the hire boat arrangement but owners will want to return earlier than planned for all sorts of reasons and they want to find their mooring empty. That is before we get into insurance, security codes, keys to the shower block et al.

• Like 1

Sad to report that my first vehicle was a Marina 1300 van that had been customised. Chocked up at the back, a steel girder welded into the rear and front wings constructed of chicken wire filled with cement. The paint job was a bottle green brush painted affair with 'ShagginWagin' spray painted on the sides. The hand brake cable once failed and my van rolled backwards into a brand new Ford Transit and decimated it.The Transit was a write off. Damage to the Marina? Some paint flaked off the rear doors. Don't know what the engine was, certainly not original. I was pulled over by the 'rozzers' in Newcastle so they could have a look at the engine after I left a Porsche 911 they had been following standing at the lights, I bought it at auction for £180 and sold it for £220.

Edited to add that the parents of my girlfriends were reluctant to let me take their daughters for a spin in the van for some reason.

• Like 5

Ting Dene definitely have a policy of sub-letting.

Last winter we had the boat out and was not due to go back in until March. NYA needed to get us out of the shed in Feb so it was easier to drop her in early and put her back on the mooring. Only to find Ting Dene (and it is in the small print) have the right to re let the mooring if you use their winter lift and stack package (which is bloody expensive anyway). Another boat was on our mooring using my electricity!! The clause was pointed out to me when I complained.

To be fair they did move the other boat, but no idea how much of my juice they had used. 

Talking about using other peoples leccy - I had never even noticed or thought about it, but it was pointed out to me last weekend that if your off your mooring you can lock the 16A covers down with a small padlock - walking round saw a few people had done this who were out for the week. Guess who will be buying a small padlock?

If you put the padlock on some rope or chain on your steering wheel it will also remind you that you haven't unplugged your shore power!!:facepalm: Might be handy for Ranworth Breeze Alan unless you have another shore power safety code?

we.ve always found Ting Dene to be very good with matters relating to the electricity. Some time ago they altered the tariff to facilitate a small rise in the cost of electricity after which we found we seemed to be using  rather more than the increase would account for. We took it  up with with Mark who  promised to check the meter which they promptly did and he also gave us some  cards which more than covered the amount we felt we had overpaid by .We've always had the best service from this marina in every aspect. Just wish they'd do something about the awful road!

Regards,

Carole